Double rifle or bolt action?

So did they fix it?

Yes, thanks for asking, Kevin. Ended up with 20/15 in my right (dominant) eye and 20/20 in my left, though vision in my left has degraded a bit in the last year. I did a good deal of research prior to the surgery and opted to have mono-focal lenses for distance implanted. As a result, I do wear cheater glasses for reading and up close work. Beyond 3ft my vision is excellent.

Tubular aimpoints and whatnot, I have no idea. But RMRs by Docter and their copies are designed to counter parallax woes no matter how poorly you're shouldering the gun and how off you are from a proper sight picture.
Yep, If the dot doesn’t move on target no matter the viewing angle then there is no parallax by definition. Parallax is when the dot (or reticle) moves on the target as the eye moves. As I said, I had to do a double take of the amount of parallax effect with that reflex I checked that was mounted in a DG rifle- didn’t believe it but it was significant. No matter, simply an FYI. An easy enough check then the individual makes the subjective decision.

I can't speak to all of the newer dot sights, but specifically to the small RMRs made famous by Docter out of Germany, what you see is what you get. Its why they are ideal for a DG rifle. In a last nanosecond hail mary shot before you're trampled to death, holding the gun cockeye with the dot far out of the center of the RMR window, it is still going to send that bullet where that dot reflected.

Tubular aimpoints and whatnot, I have no idea. But RMRs by Docter and their copies are designed to counter parallax woes no matter how poorly you're shouldering the gun and how off you are from a proper sight picture.
@rookhawk I just purchased a used Heym that came cut for RMR mount. I love the gun (although trigger pull will have to be addressed). I installed the RMR & shot for the first time today working up loads. It’s great, but at times I get weird red light reflections on the glass that blur things. Have you or anyone else experienced this? Something wrong with my particular model?
It seems to be a sunlight reflection thing. Just curious.
Thx

@rookhawk I just purchased a used Heym that came cut for RMR mount. I love the gun (although trigger pull will have to be addressed). I installed the RMR & shot for the first time today working up loads. It’s great, but at times I get weird red light reflections on the glass that blur things. Have you or anyone else experienced this? Something wrong with my particular model?
It seems to be a sunlight reflection thing. Just curious.
Thx
@ACM, perhaps you have the intensity of the red dot a bit high. When I turn the brightness or intensity of the red dot towards the higher settings on my Trijicon RMR it has a tendency for the dot to loose its shape and have some reflection. So I usually have it on the 2d or 3rd setting, I think there are 8 in total, and then I have never had an issue.

I'm all for using a Double. Irons, scope, RMR is irrelevant. An RMR is not magical. It does not turn a double into anything close to a bolt gun with regards to accuracy and effective range. It simply takes it to a single focal plain which makes it usable for peoples eyes who have began to let them down or for people who want to acquire their sights faster. I don't see people complaining about people putting optics on old Rigby magazine rifles or the like. They come with iron sights. My plan is to use Irons on my buffalo hunt next year but if my eyes start to go or I just like using my RMR more I would not hesitate to use it. Its about hunting the animal doesn't care. Do whatever you need to do to ensure a clean death and shoot the gun that tickles your fancy.

This is a very tough one. You just don’t want a marginal double because it is to be used for DG. A dangerous situation is no place for the cheapest rifle on the market. If it is less than $10K then it would worry me.
As has been said here doubles, especially used ones, should go to JJ or another top gunsmith to be checked out.
One other thought is that the quality doubles do not lose value very quickly. Many hunters use them a bit and then sell them.
Dream big, just be smart about it!

This is a very tough one. You just don’t want a marginal double because it is to be used for DG. A dangerous situation is no place for the cheapest rifle on the market. If it is less than $10K then it would worry me.
As has been said here doubles, especially used ones, should go to JJ or another top gunsmith to be checked out.
One other thought is that the quality doubles do not lose value very quickly. Many hunters use them a bit and then sell them.

@Philip Glass wrote a great post with sound advice.

less than $10k can get you a VERY high quality dangerous game magazine rifle. It is likely to get you an untrustworthy DG double rifle. Buy smart.

I'd add, there are a lot of nice 235gr loads out there for 375HH. If I had $6000-$10000 to spend on a gun and could only afford one gun, I'd buy a 375HH and use it not just in Africa, but in lieu of a .300WM or .338 for US hunting. One gun to rule them all with utter reliability is a great plan. (whether a DR in 375 Flanged, or magazine 375HH)

If you have plenty of rifles, just not a DG "stopping" rifle, then going with a big boy whether double rifle or magazine is a fine plan. I chose a double because I'm a terrible shot with rifles, but a pretty solid shot with side by side shotguns. My instincts and readiness with a break action, plus their reliability and speed of getting off two good shots made me a good contender for a DG double. Not everyone is the same, go with what you're going to know, trust, and use frequently.

Wisdom!!!

@Philip Glass wrote a great post with sound advice.

less than $10k can get you a VERY high quality dangerous game magazine rifle. It is likely to get you an untrustworthy DG double rifle. Buy smart.

I'd add, there are a lot of nice 235gr loads out there for 375HH. If I had $6000-$10000 to spend on a gun and could only afford one gun, I'd buy a 375HH and use it not just in Africa, but in lieu of a .300WM or .338 for US hunting. One gun to rule them all with utter reliability is a great plan. (whether a DR in 375 Flanged, or magazine 375HH)

If you have plenty of rifles, just not a DG "stopping" rifle, then going with a big boy whether double rifle or magazine is a fine plan. I chose a double because I'm a terrible shot with rifles, but a pretty solid shot with side by side shotguns. My instincts and readiness with a break action, plus their reliability and speed of getting off two good shots made me a good contender for a DG double. Not everyone is the same, go with what you're going to know, trust, and use frequently.
Good point. Doubles work well for some and others have a time of it learning the gun. Those contemplating a double need a friend with one to try out!

@Rare Breed actually Crystalens and it was the cats meow for decades. I know someone that's had them for 30 years and still has 20/20 vision.

The latest and greatest is Symfony lens. I went in for Crystalens because I was sick of wearing glasses (no cataracts) and my doc said Symfony was even better. Can't remember all the reasons but one that stands out was Symfony has a lot less halo then Crystalens when looking at lights at night.

Neither of these are cheap lenses, and insurance won't cover them even for cataracts, they only cover cheaper lenses. About $6k each. They are game changers and worth every penny. I was 20/15 until my 30's and things started to deteriorate. Ended up at 20/50. Now after Symfony I'm 20/20 and have had them for about 8 or 10 years I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!