Do I carry Scope in carry-on? Checked luggage? Attached to rifle in locked box itself?(Joberg/SA Flight, United)

Raskolnikov743

AH member
Reaction score
Greetings. Traveling to SA for first safari hunt.

What should I do with my scope on the rifle .416?

Taking both double barrel and .416 but I have detached the scope from .416 as someone told me that it could be damaged by improper pressure in plane cabin if attached to gun - or something like that.

My instinct however is to attach to the .416 and keep intact period. Versus having gun pieces on me/within carry-on bag.

Thanks for advice, gents!

Best,

JW

IMG_1797.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning on taking mine in my carry-on, but after the troubles encountered by @Altitude sickness with his scopes being considered “military sniper” equipment…they are going in the case with the rifle.

Granted, I won’t be going to the same place that he had the problem, but it’s easier to explain when there is a hunting rifle in the same case.

EDIT - Our Leica binos will be going in our carry-on.

Good question. I went to South Africa in 2022. The customs person saw my scope in my carry-on. She inspected it and took it to an office. When she came back she warned me that it would have been an problem if it was a scope because it has to remain attached to the rifle. I can only guess they thought it was a telescope. Or, perhaps they cut me some slack. In any event it that news to me as I had believed carrying your optics was good practice.

Have a good trip.

Good question. I went to South Africa in 2022. The customs person saw my scope in my carry-on. She inspected it and took it to an office. When she came back she warned me that it would have been an problem if it was a scope because it has to remain attached to the rifle. I can only guess they thought it was a telescope. Or, perhaps they cut me some slack. In any event it that news to me as I had believed carrying your optics was good practice.

Have a good trip.
Awesome advice - thank you. Ever heard of damage to scope from pressure cabin?

I was planning on taking mine in my carry-on, but after the troubles encountered by @Altitude sickness with his scopes being considered “military sniper” equipment…they are going in the case with the rifle.

Granted, I won’t be going to the same place that he had the problem, but it’s easier to explain when there is a hunting rifle in the same case.

EDIT - Our Leica binos will be going in our carry-on.
Awesome advice - thank you. Now I really do not want to carry as a carry-on. Ever heard of damage to scope from pressure cabin?

Awesome advice - thank you. Ever heard of damage to scope from pressure cabin?
I have not. Another time I went I used a Tough Pak and the scope was on the rifle. The scope was fine and kept its zero (Alaska Arms rings, trijicon scope)

Another consideration is a comprehensive firearm insurance policy to protect your investment from damage and theft.

It will be of little help while on safari, but knowing it will be sorted out when you get back will put your mind at ease. And it lets you concentrate on shooting a camp rifle for the trip.

Leave your scope on the rifle and if the case is sturdy you will not have an issue. 2 trips to Alaska and 4 to Africa and I never needed to adjust my scope.
Have a great adventure.

You are fine to put your binos in your carry on. Based upon recent issues others have had with detached scopes, I would NOT put those in my carry on. Put them in the rifle case or better yet, just leave them attached. When you or others are pulling stuff out to verify serials, you don't need a scope hitting the floor. Just leave them attached and then always check the zeros when you get to the hunt.

Airlines are considering rifle scopes "gun parts" and forcing travelers to check them rather than allow them to carry it on. Better off leaving it on the rifle in a good case and it should be fine.

Are you flying out of Newark, NJ? I'll be on that flight on August 9th. I live in Southeast PA so I'll be driving to Newark.

Leave it on the rifle. The scope won’t be useful without the rifle anyway so keep them together.

The cargo hold is at the same pressure as the cabin. If your rifle case can’t protect your scope it won’t protect your rifle and the solution is to get an adequate case, not remove the scope.

I have traveled to Joberg with guns four times. Twice with scopes attached and twice in my carryon. After second safari I scaled down to single gun Pelican Vault case. Two rifles fit in it without scopes. The scopes traveled fine both ways and guns held zero with Warne QD rings.

Only hiccup was having my bipod in carryon. It may be considered "gun part". Had a minor problem boarding with bipod at Toronro but it was sorted out in time for my connecting flight to Europe (but just barely!). Put them in checked bag! Scopes were on the airline "list" as acceptable carryon for Air Canada, Swiss Air, Lufthansa, and South African Airlines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConradFont

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]