Do I carry Scope in carry-on? Checked luggage? Attached to rifle in locked box itself?(Joberg/SA Flight, United)

Mine goes in the case.

full

Leave it on. I also include the manufacture, model and serial number on my US customs form. I don't know why anyone would worry about carrying on anything other than a set of clothes to hunt in and your meds. Most guys I know who travel with firearms often pull all the foam out of their gun cases and use clothes as padding. Then put anything you can in your locked case.

As has been said, the baggage compartment is pressurized, same as the rest of the cabin.

I’m not a big fan of monkeying with scopes too much. I trust my zero at lot more if it holds true after multiple shooting sessions. I wouldn’t want to burn a dozen rounds in Africa if the sight-in doesn’t go well. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

As has been said, the baggage compartment is pressurized, same as the rest of the cabin.

I’m not a big fan of monkeying with scopes too much. I trust my zero at lot more if it holds true after multiple shooting sessions. I wouldn’t want to burn a dozen rounds in Africa if the sight-in doesn’t go well. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.
Totally agree Bryce. Keep it on and give yourself one less thing to worry about

Leave it on. I also include the manufacture, model and serial number on my US customs form. I don't know why anyone would worry about carrying on anything other than a set of clothes to hunt in and your meds. Most guys I know who travel with firearms often pull all the foam out of their gun cases and use clothes as padding. Then put anything you can in locked case.
meds may be hard to replace; definitely carry on. I usually pack a change of clothes in carry-on, at least underwear and socks but there’s stores in Africa.

The one thing you must absolutely have is broken-in boots. Everything else can be replaced with proper application of money. But nobody has enough money to quickly replace broken-in footwear. I’ve read that queen Elizabeth had a person whose feet exactly matched hers so she didn’t have to break in her own shoes. But even with an army of such people, it is going to take time.

meds may be hard to replace; definitely carry on. I usually pack a change of clothes in carry-on, at least underwear and socks but there’s stores in Africa.

The one thing you must absolutely have is broken-in boots. Everything else can be replaced with proper application of money. But nobody has enough money to quickly replace broken-in footwear. I’ve read that queen Elizabeth had a person whose feet exactly matched hers so she didn’t have to break in her own shoes. But even with an army of such people, it is going to take time.
For that reason I wear my hunting boots on the plane. Put some camp slipper in carryon and wear them during flight.

Greetings. Traveling to SA for first safari hunt.

What should I do with my scope on the rifle .416?

Taking both double barrel and .416 but I have detached the scope from .416 as someone told me that it could be damaged by improper pressure in plane cabin if attached to gun - or something like that.

My instinct however is to attach to the .416 and keep intact period. Versus having gun pieces on me/within carry-on bag.

Thanks for advice, gents!

Best,

JW
You will get many different views and all are both valid and good. For myself on my many safaris I have always packed them already on my rifles with memory foam cut to fit them on my rifle with zero problems. Why risk a rookie airport person who might think you are trying to carry “military” equipment onto your flight with your carryon baggage…no thanks don’t need that headache. also if your rifle is lost what good does having your scope in hand do you? I put top level monies in both my rifles and glass…just my POV

If having scope in cargo is a problem due to pressure or lack thereof, you need a better scope. Have put in carryon and attached to the rifle couple times a year on multiple rifles for last 18 years here in AK taking commercial flights to the southeast, Kotz and Kodiak, all places not known for delicate handling. Never an issue.

I’d due whatever you feel comfortable with. Looks like a Rigby BGR for the 416, and if so, assuming mounts from JR& Co as well, so super easy to mount/dismount making it a wash which way you decide. I just brought my Rigby to JoBurg via United last month. Carried my swaro Z8i in my backpack with camera and binos on way over, left it in my rifle case on the way back. Only hiccup was Luftansa/United in a combined effort lost my rifle for a few days after my connection flight out of Frankfurt was cancelled. Ultimately got it back, cut locks tossed loose in the case with my rifle but luckily no damage to the gun.

Keep your scope on your rifle. No need to separate them.

Went to TZ - all optics in carry-on... first class if that makes any difference?

I traveled to South Africa at the end of May with my scopes in my carry-on pack. Customs never inspected any of my luggage either checked or carry-on. TSA even didn't blink an eye over them though I did print out their advisory on scopes and had it with me.

Returning home I just left them attached.

Awesome advice - thank you. Ever heard of damage to scope from pressure cabin?
I don’t hear of this happening today with any scope, even the budget brands. I’ve heard (but never seen) of older cheap scopes encountering issues in the past but not in a very long time. I’m not sure why anyone would want to put scope in carry on. Scopes are generally made to be tough and hold zero through recoil. I haven’t had to re-zero a scope on any hunt I can remember after flying. There are better items to put in carry on. If your rifle doesn’t arrive the scope in a carry on isn’t any help, but some extra clothes or other items are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyeWood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.