Do German's just do it best?

For those interested. I’m on their email list from owning one and asking questions. Not a favored client.

this is to inform you that I will be travelling in the US from October 19th – 28th. Please let me know if you are interested in meeting me in Texas or later that week in Phoenix/Az.
Please excuse the short notice, but sometimes things work fine unexpectedly.

Let me know please, it would be my pleasure
Best
Daniela Fanzoj

Mag. Daniela Fanzoj
Creative Director,
Vice-President

Johann Fanzoj Gmbh
Austria — 9170 Ferlach — Griesgasse 3
tel. +43 4227 2283
fax. +43 4227 2867
e-mail.
office@fanzoj.com
instagram.
johann_fanzoj
www.fanzoj.com

None of that fancy stuff will like very good after being dragged through the brush for a few years. Never cared for forendtips and monte Carlo stocks.
Give me a lithe stock with a Schnabel fore end any day or even better a mannlicher stock. All my rifles get dragged through the brush. Such is the lot of a hunters gun.

Were not the famous Orberndorf sporters made with actions with cut outs pulled from the production line and slicked up. I have examined many over the years, all had cut outs and provision for stripper clips. Cut outs don’t necessarily mean repurposed military actions.
Mike

My love affair with single shots started in 1983 with a Ruger #1V in 25-06, my love affair with German single shots started with this rifle in 1986. The largest caliber I have seen in this rifle is 9.3x74. The strength and simplicity of the action has always impressed me. Why a larger version was never made and chambered in one of the DG cartridges escapes me.
Mike
BF6D0B81-69DD-45E2-8E32-C9A4B3F8012B.jpeg

Were not the famous Orberndorf sporters made with actions with cut outs pulled from the production line and slicked up. I have examined many over the years, all had cut outs and provision for stripper clips. Cut outs don’t necessarily mean repurposed military actions.
Mike
Exactly

I do not doubt the story, but it would be interesting to understand how that trigger arrangement helped.
I am few days late in my answer, as I was in the north of the country on the rifle match.
This is from the book "German Hunting rifles of the Golden Era 1840 - 1940", by Hanns Pfingsten: If I am not mistaken, a trigger was arranged on a thumb, (like a safety on a modern over under shotgun). I am not sure was it for all Kaisers guns or only on some.
This below is screenshot from said book. Button trigger developped for Kaiser.
button trigger 1.jpg
button trigger 2.jpg

Mr Mannlicher worked at Jeffery & Co. as well. And the current Steyr-Mannlicher is a peach of a rifle.

The current batch of Rigby has a Mauser action made in Germany and the rest is made in England. I cannot think of a better collaboration.
Me neither.
I hunt over a German Shorthaired Pointer, and an English Cocker Spaniel.
There is no better team combination…

I am few days late in my answer, as I was in the north of the country on the rifle match.
This is from the book "German Hunting rifles of the Golden Era 1840 - 1940", by Hanns Pfingsten: If I am not mistaken, a trigger was arranged on a thumb, (like a safety on a modern over under shotgun). I am not sure was it for all Kaisers guns or only on some.
This below is screenshot from said book. Button trigger developped for Kaiser.
View attachment 640124View attachment 640125
The picture makes sense. He was apparently unable to use the left arm at all, and the button allowed him to use all four other fingers to securely grip the firearm. Brilliant design.

I’ve been to Africa several times and every time I’ve met Americans hunting in the same camps. Never met one German in camp or hunting on any of those trips.

There sure are some unusual distorted opinions, not facts, about Americans in this thread. Not sure why? Maybe some weird since of pride… You know what they say about pride? It’s a terrible thing to waste.

I don’t have a problem with Germans either. They created some great dogs:

View attachment 639672

I’ve owned several of those.
Now that we've brought dogs into this, I've got to speak up for American field bred goodness.

20151121_141017.jpg

Mike
Correct.
Mauser even used the cutout and stripper clip ears on their magnum actions even though there are no stripper clips for the 350 or 416 Rigby.
Just part of the ‘98 design that was held over until the solid left wall action came to be.

My love affair with single shots started in 1983 with a Ruger #1V in 25-06, my love affair with German single shots started with this rifle in 1986. The largest caliber I have seen in this rifle is 9.3x74. The strength and simplicity of the action has always impressed me. Why a larger version was never made and chambered in one of the DG cartridges escapes me.
Mike View attachment 640087
Most likely because no one wants to face down dangerous game with just one shot.

Me neither.
I hunt over a German Shorthaired Pointer, and an English Cocker Spaniel.
There is no better team combination…

I've really come to admire GSP's in the past few years. Beautiful dogs and seem to be a happy medium between English Pointers and Setters.

I’ll admit to having another German:

Jagdterrier

She is a hunting machine…
IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

She likes fishing too:
IMG_3810.jpeg

That button trigger I
Believe was called Knopfzug or Züg
It was a model by some makers for winter time and gloved hands . And for the Kaiser it was a already proven available system for him as one of many other options to use .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertres

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.