Dip and pack finally complete, shipping question

Watching with interest. Bullseye Taxidermy in SA told me if finished product it doesn't have to go to USDA certified. I have a warthog (shoulder mount) and cape buffalo Euro in process right now. This was in their shop about 3 weeks ago.

Watching with interest. Bullseye Taxidermy in SA told me if finished product it doesn't have to go to USDA certified. I have a warthog (shoulder mount) and cape buffalo Euro in process right now. This was in their shop about 3 weeks ago.
Seems to be somewhat fluid in interpretation of this rule. In 2021 I had a crate of finished taxidermy containing bushpig and baboon. This crate did not go to USDA. In 2022 my crate of finished taxidermy containing no swine or primates did go to USDA. What ever happens just go with the flow so to speak.

Seems to be somewhat fluid in interpretation of this rule. In 2021 I had a crate of finished taxidermy containing bushpig and baboon. This crate did not go to USDA. In 2022 my crate of finished taxidermy containing no swine or primates did go to USDA. What ever happens just go with the flow so to speak.
And get your credit card out. LOL

Actually if I remember correctly it was the cheapest part of the shipment, USDA charges a flat $25 for up to 5 animals and $5 for each animal above 5 animals.
As someone here mentioned, if a separate crate containing a warthog/baboon needs to be shipped from SA to a USDA facility, I could see more in shipping costs? I guess the USDA inspection costs would be the inexpensive part.

I just looked back at my records and I paid USDA $28 to clear a roan, klipsringer, bushbuck, springbok, gemsbok and blesbok. I guess the 6th mount was only $3.

You guys are scaring me lol I've got a crate coming with an ostrich, monkey, wart hog, and a bush pig in it. Wart hog is a shoulder mount, bush pig is euro skull and tanned hide, ostrich is euro skull and a bunch of feathers, and the monkey is euro skull and tanned tail with blue balls attached. ( Skinners idea, not mine lol ) I'll let everyone know how that goes, I'm using Zingela and Coppersmiths.

My 41LX25WX38H 123lb. crate arrived a couple of days ago to my home. Exporter from SA was Rex Freight: $1700. Importer was Coppersmith in DFW: $900. Delivery charge to my home: $400. No hiccups and FANTASTIC service from both REX Freight and Coppersmith. With the shipping costs and $3400 in taxidermy done in SA, the one kudu shoulder mount and six skull mounts cost as much as my PG Safari itself. I doubt I’ll ever bring anything back again from a hunt. I could’ve bought a couple of nice rifles or went on another African hunt for the cost of the trophies. Now I’ll have to wait to do either.
Just curious, how many miles was the delivery charge to your home? Mines gotta go about 240 miles. Just wondering what the freight truck ride will cost. Thanks!

You guys are scaring me lol I've got a crate coming with an ostrich, monkey, wart hog, and a bush pig in it. Wart hog is a shoulder mount, bush pig is euro skull and tanned hide, ostrich is euro skull and a bunch of feathers, and the monkey is euro skull and tanned tail with blue balls attached. ( Skinners idea, not mine lol ) I'll let everyone know how that goes, I'm using Zingela and Coppersmiths.
My baboon came back with all of his equipment still fully attached (as it should have) my wife took one look at that and made me put a fig leaf over it!

Just curious, how many miles was the delivery charge to your home? Mines gotta go about 240 miles. Just wondering what the freight truck ride will cost. Thanks!

Mine is going to be 210 miles, when talking with the shipping company I was trying to get an idea. I mentioned 500.00 he laughed and said I would get the quote when it cleared.

About 700 miles. I figured I couldn’t drive the 1400 miles round trip with my diesel truck plus a motel stay and meals for what I paid for delivery to my home. I was pleasantly surprised at the delivery cost.

Each time before, a friend from Denver area would pick up and bring my stuff when visiting relatives who lived near me. About 390 miles- almost 800 miles round trip. He couldn't do it this last time but I found one of the independent delivery services that had a delivery route contracted with other clients that passed through my area. So no dead head fee. For a shoulder mount and several skull mounts- $275. Very reasonable IMO! Some larger PG shoulder mounts (not unlike elk) are tricky because of the relatively large outside dimension and the need for some kind of enclosed trailer for protected transport.

About 700 miles. I figured I couldn’t drive the 1400 miles round trip with my diesel truck plus a motel stay and meals for what I paid for delivery to my home. I was pleasantly surprised at the delivery cost.
Damn that is a good price. Yeah, you definitely couldn't do it for 400 bucks yourself. Thanks for the info!

The latest edition of the SCI news letter has a good article on USDA requirements on finished and dip&pack shipments. As well as some of the reasons for some delays. It’s worth the read.

The latest edition of the SCI news letter has a good article on USDA requirements on finished and dip&pack shipments. As well as some of the reasons for some delays. It’s worth the read.

A link would help quite a bit. I Googled SCI News Letter and didn't see a thing relating to SCI. Plus don't you need to be a member to access it?

A link would help quite a bit. I Googled SCI News Letter and didn't see a thing relating to SCI. Plus don't you need to be a member to access it?
Not sure about the membership part but I think they had a link to the USDA. When I get home I’ll find it and post it.

247 x 125 x 139 cm

247 x 126 x 131 cm

Were the two I just had shipped 7800ish by sea 12800 by air.

Splitting Image did the taxidermy and Badger handle shipping. It's in Houston waiting to clear. Not sure what the final damage will be (shipped by sea).

SCI just published an article on this topic of USDA

1689178297451.png

1689178336916.png

A little bit off this specific thread, but does Turkish airlines charge a premium for shipping a Cape Buffalo skull/horns from Africa to the U.S.? I understand they’re the only airline currently which will ship any of the Big 5 trophies to the U.S. Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnsonThompson

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia