Delta Flights To Johannesburg

How is transiting through Atlanta with guns? I really didn't enjoy JFK and Newark is a no go for me also, Looking at Delta for end of July to JNB

How is transiting through Atlanta with guns? I really didn't enjoy JFK and Newark is a no go for me also, Looking at Delta for end of July to JNB
There is usually no problems at ATL. One time I made the mistake of switching from AA to Delta at ATL. There were no issues with the guns but my goodness what a chore! Get baggage, get on a bus that seemed to take forever, navigate the worlds largest airport and then finally check in with Delta. On return I can assure you that Customs and TSA are 1000% more efficient and friendly at DFW or IAH than ATL. I actually look forward to the customs guys these days!
As for JFK and EWR there are real legal issues to think about there in addition to the evil eye you get from everyone there when it comes to guns. You can NEVER, NEVER go through NY or NJ with a handgun or suppressor. Yes theoretically you can transit with no problems But if there is a delay or cancellation and you are forced to take possession of your guns you are automatically a felon and will go straight to prison. I am reading good reports on United and TWG also says they are good now but it would have to be a trip where I am not taking a suppressor to consider booking.
Philip

Have not had a problem in ATL with guns. Just give your self plenty of time.

Then the million dollar question is, what three days are they flying? LOL

Fares have been up and down for sure . I just booked flights May25-June 12 Premium on way over Comfort + on return for $3700 for 2 with insurance. Had I booked about 2 months ago I could have gotten premium RT for $1500 each.
I have never booked my own flights always used an agent , but this time around we were too far apart to not book myself.

But if there is a delay or cancellation and you are forced to take possession of your guns you are automatically a felon and will go straight to prison.
This isn't true. As long as the firearms and ammo are in a locked case and not readily accessible and you are in transit to or from a range, hunting venue, repair shop, or gun shop, you're legal. I hunted NJ and live in DE. I had a non resident hunting license. I put the firearm in the cab of the truck in a locked case and the ammo in the bed of the truck in a locked case, hardly readily accessible and both within the letter of the law. My buddies shoot clays across the river regularly with no problems.

#25 covers transport.

Last edited:
I won't get into the firearm debate, but I will say that Atlanta is a booger to get through. Out of my four trips over, I did one return through Atlanta, two in Houston, one in Chicago. The only one to slow me down was Atlanta. It wasn't horrible, but it was the only one to have me open my case upon return. Chicago, they saw the bow case and pushed it on through, didn't even want me to open it as it went through an x-ray machine. Houston, it comes out on the oversize luggage carousel, no one cares two hoots about the bow case. I couldn't even tell you were the customs station is at Houston.
I don't travel with firearms, only the double bow case, but it does look like a firearm case.
Since I'll be returning through Atlanta this trip, I booked the flight with a 5 hour layover, just to give me time to get through their inspections process. Ya never know.

This isn't true. As long as the firearms and ammo are in a locked case and not readily accessible and you are in transit to or from a range, hunting venue, repair shop, or gun shop, you're legal. I hunted NJ and live in DE. I had a non resident hunting license. I put the firearm in the cab of the truck in a locked case and the ammo in the bed of the truck in a locked case, hardly readily accessible and both within the letter of the law. My buddies shoot clays across the river regularly with no problems.

#25 covers transport.
@Hogpatrol
This refers to rifles. Suppressor are expressly illegal in NJ! Pistols require a license. My point remains that if you take possession, locked or not, of a unlicensed (NJ state) handgun or a suppressor you are instantly and without recourse a felon.
Be careful!
Philip

I bought on Sunday for $984, it has gone up three times since I bought, it is now at $1514.
Even if I have to leave a day earlier, or a day later, than scheduled, I'll survive. I'll adapt and overcome and still get my hunt in regardless.

I have been onboard 7 different incoming flights from Africa to ATL. All guns and bow cases go through the same initial check point. I makes no difference about "archery equipment" signs on a case. Everybody has to play "show & tell."

After collecting luggage and bow cases (I don't know about gun cases) travelers then have to go through a second inspection of bow case before the passenger is cleared to advance to transfer of domestic flight terminals. Airport personnel send bow cases to a loading area for transfer to domestic flights.

It is not difficult, just a hassle of going through 2 check points almost within eye distance of each other. Adequate time must be allowed for the process. I normally allow 2-3 hrs between arrival and departure time when traveling from Africa. The weapon/bow equipment inspection is a time consuming process.

I am flying Bozeman -Atlanta - joberg - Sept 3 and returning on the 16 on Delta.
What docs do I need to have for my silencer? Thanx for your help!

I am flying Bozeman -Atlanta - joberg - Sept 3 and returning on the 16 on Delta.
What docs do I need to have for my silencer? Thanx for your help!
Just a separate 4457 and a copy of your tax stamp. Normally no one will ask you anything about a suppressor. I’ve had them on and off the gun. I’d lean towards off the gun in a gear bag in gun case.

I have been onboard 7 different incoming flights from Africa to ATL. All guns and bow cases go through the same initial check point. I makes no difference about "archery equipment" signs on a case. Everybody has to play "show & tell."

After collecting luggage and bow cases (I don't know about gun cases) travelers then have to go through a second inspection of bow case before the passenger is cleared to advance to transfer of domestic flight terminals. Airport personnel send bow cases to a loading area for transfer to domestic flights.

It is not difficult, just a hassle of going through 2 check points almost within eye distance of each other. Adequate time must be allowed for the process. I normally allow 2-3 hrs between arrival and departure time when traveling from Africa. The weapon/bow equipment inspection is a time consuming process.
That describes my one time through Atlanta. Luckily, I was first in line at the first inspection area and he opened the case, didn't see a firearm and shut it again. Then I went to the next spot, you're right, you could probably throw a rock and hit it, and she did the same thing.
I'll be in no hurry, I have a 5 hour layover, they can look all they want.

Just a separate 4457 and a copy of your tax stamp. Normally no one will ask you anything about a suppressor. I’ve had them on and off the gun. I’d lean towards off the gun in a gear bag in gun case.

Why a separate 4457 ? Thanx Phillip !

For anyone having a long layover in ATL, if you want to have a really nice meal, check out Ecco in Terminal E. It looks like their COVID reduced hours have it closing at 7pm, which is a bummer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.56.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.56.37 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.56.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.56.39 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.56.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.56.43 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
Why a separate 4457 ? Thanx Phillip !
Some will tell you that it is not needed at all. I want to be covered in every way. As you know the 4457 is for articles taken abroad. With the 4457 you are proving you didn’t get it is SA. No one can accuse you of exporting it since you have the 4457. I also don’t want to raise any alarm bells by putting it on the rifle 4457. Out of sight, out of mind.
My list for traveling with a suppressor:
1. Separate 4457
2. Copy of tax stamp
3. put suppressor in gun case in a gear bag.
4. Don’t fly through NY or NJ.

Just booked a flight on Delta from Spokane Wa ( pretty close to N Idaho) to Atlanta, straight thru, which I have never seen before, then Joberg. There’s a jump from Atlanta to salt lake then Spokane going home. Same flights across 200, 201. Pretty good price of $1,120. Round trip. Could have saved almost $200 if I didn’t want to pick seats till I checked in. I would rather choose my seats.

Just looked at flights with Delta in August 997 bucks. From st.loius to joburg 20hr trip time. Dang good deal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]