Dealing with wounded Cape buffalo

I would finish the dance with what I used to start it, my 416 Rigby with 400gr Barnes TSX. Then it is a quick safety briefing and follow directions/orders from the PH.

Safe hunting

As a hunter, not PH, I have hunted buffalo twice using a 375 H&H. My agreement with both PHs was if after my shot they had any concerns they could use their judgement in doing a quick follow up. In both cases, neither PH had to do that.

In Zimbabwe the PH had a 458 Lott bolt action. I shot the bull at 60 yards broadside, he ran about 100 yards and we heard the death bellows. When we approached he was laying on his side and the PH had me put an insurance shot through the back between the shoulders.

In Mozambique the PH had a 460 Weatherby bolt action. He and the gun were like one having done many hundreds of PAC hunts commissioned by the government. I shot the bull at 40 yards broadside. He ran about 100-150 yards into a wooded area that wasn't full of brush. We got to 60 yards saw him laying with his head up. I put another shot into him and he was down.

Both PHs had me load the bolt action rifle with two expandable at the top of the magazine and solids filling the lower part of the magazine.

my only DG has been the three water buffaloes that I have already made a post in this forum. In theory, I would use something that gives me the security of being able to pass through his boss. 458 lott, 500grs solid. in my mauser 1909. i would like to have a double in 500 ne. but I would have to practice a lot to be able to have the same confidence in it as in my mauser.

Makes a lot more sense. This was what a dog trainer told a friend of mine who wanted to have a dog trained for his own farm. Maybe needs to contact another trainer
I have a feeling I know who you are talking about. You are welcome to drop me a PM with your number to discuss.

Bushpigs over hounds is crazy.

Reactions: DWB
My thoughts on the subject - as the hunter and not PH...

I use a bolt action for a variety of reasons: familiarity with the platform, better accuracy (for me), greater ammo capacity - I'm sure I could fire 2 rounds faster with a double but not 3 or 4. And in the back of my mind I have this in-extremis scenario of being separated from spare ammo (or someone else picks up the rifle if I've been hit) - an empty double is just a paddle, whereas 2 rounds left in the mag of a bolt gun could be useful if no spare ammo is on hand.

Use the same ammo that I know cycles - I use A-Frames. My rifle has always fed flat-nosed solids when I've trial-cycled it as vigorously as I can. But those flat noses don't fill me with confidence in a panic situation. I'd rather be sending an A-Frame in a charging buff's face than have a 'better' bullet that isn't feeding at the critical moment (if a solid is even better on buff?). Plus the same bullet means consistency in POA/POI. Of course for ele, which I have not hunted, a solid would be a requirement, so I'd have to make peace with my issue or use a double I suppose.

I use a scope in QD mounts - I'd probably rather use the scope for a follow-up just turned down to 1x. The scope has a red dot which makes for faster target acquisition for me. I have no issues using iron sights but the scope would be faster for me cos that's what I practice with. I am comfortable shooting with both eyes open at moving targets, courtesy of a lot of wingshooting. I wouldn't be against removing the scope if the PH wanted me to. QD mounts are more there in case the scope is u/s for whatever reason, then it can be removed in the field in seconds and fall back on the irons.

In the wounded buff scenario - keep shooting while the buff is in sight. which might not be possible in a herd scenario - I haven't shot buff in a herd before/yet. Keep moving within reason to permit further shots (i.e. 50-100m, not sprinting miles after the buff into the unknown). In my experience, that has brought things to a close.

I suppose if the animal is not down and has disappeared from sight, then it's time to take stock and reload to the brim! At least approach the site of the initial shot and gauge the quality of the hit from the blood trail and agree a plan of action. Give it a good 10-15 mins for the animal to hopefully expire and if not, for the adrenalin to wear off and for it to start to stiffen. If not already clarified, I would insist that all suitably armed members of the party are advised to shoot immediately on sighting the wounded animal. I have the same personal rule for PG - I request that anyone that spots game that I have wounded to take the shot, I want the wounded animal out of its misery asap. Obviously I'd like to be the primary shooter but getting the animal down overrides waiting for me to shoot if someone else has the shot. And even more so on DG - it's a risky time and safety trumps ego.

Dogs if available would be good but very few places I've hunted have had trained dogs for furred game.
Nice job! For someone never hunted a buff before you are almost spot on. Two things I would change though. 1. No solids needed for buff with todays well made bullets. 2. Your PH will completely take over in a good way if a buff is wounded meaning they will position you so you can get the safest follow up shot; most phs do not want to shoot your animal at all but in a follow up situation you should always have that discussion with them beforehand. If a dangerous situation develops, yes all bets are off and the ph is shooting for sure no questions asked.

but those bullets go through the boss in one charge?
Yes and at the beginning of the charge you do not need to shoot through the boss....only at the last when he drops his head to hook yoiu...

So IvW, you said you’d weigh in after some responses. Does four pages qualify?

So @IvW, I want to be clear that this post was intended in good fun, and certainly not intended to generate the follow-on it received. As always, I enjoy your posts and find them very well informed.

but those bullets go through the boss in one charge?
The last two buffalo I shot (broadside) the bullets went all the way through and were found under the skin at the opposite side. So, pretty good penetration through bone, etc.. Of course, if one is trying to use a rat caliber like a .375 as a stopping rifle caliber then the type of bullet might not even matter. :unsure:

Also, I would add Barnes TSX to the list mentioned above. The PHs I know in Zim seem to like them.

Now, I have never been charged by a buffalo, just an elephant and there I used solids.

Yes I have read msny a time over 35 years thar at times when the first shot is not right Buffalow's becoming very dangerous. On one account it took 11 or 12 shots to finish of the Buffalo but still killed the tracker who was protecting the PH. IT made me cry reading about it.
Use enough gun.
Krish

The outfit I hunted with last year for Buffalo lost a tracker a month before my son and I arrived. He was killed by wounded buffalo attacking from an unexpected direction. Very sad.

Bringing together some threads on this forum:

To prepare: read Dr. Kevin Robertson's 'Africa's Most Dangerous'. Throw Craig Boddington's 'Buffalo!' in the bin. Practice shooting. Be aware of (1) the trick of shooting midway between the front legs if the animal is not square on: that will give the horizontal measure of the heart/ 'boiler room'. (2) Be aware of where the heart and the 'vital triangle' is on the animal. In particular, the heart is lower - just above the sternum - than many people realise. Again, Dr. Robertson's 'Perfect Shot' books are a useful read. (NB - don't rely on buying these in SA - Safari and Outdoor had sold out when I was there.)

A double rifle is certainly quicker than a bolt action for the second shot. But that second shot is not instantaneous: the recoil after the first shot will move the point of aim of the rifle and it will take - say - 1 to 2 seconds to get back on target. In the meantime, the buffalo probably has his own ideas.

I shot my first (and so far, only) buffalo last year with Warren Scholtz at Mabalabala (excellent, btw). The first shot was a .470 'rhino' soft. I took the shot at about 60 - 65 yards. The animal, which was broadside-on, first hunched and then scarpered before I could squeeze off the second barrel (I was using a double rifle). The shot was right on the 'knopper' (bulge of the shoulder). We hung around for half-an-hour before following up, and were joined by his son Josh (.375) and my friend, Mr. Swarrie (.450 Rigby).

It took four hours between that first shot and finally catching up with the buffalo. Those who were hunting in the Limpopo last year will know that the rains came late and, as a consequence, the mopani was still in leaf. During the tracking, the buffalo attempted a P-turn ambush, which Warren spotted and deterred by shooting, which shot grazed the buffalo's right cheek and shoulder. This helpfully increased the blood spoor (although it probably didn't do much for his mood).

We were in line abreast when the final charge came. The buffalo had been lying up under a tree and - Warren being slightly in front of the line, and on its left - he stepped out of the undergrowth some 55 yards from the buffalo. He got one shot off (.470). The buffalo crossed me at about 20 yards distance, crossing right to left, and I got two bullets off. I was on the right of the line. Josh and Mr. Swarrie were unable to shoot due to their position and the vegetation.

In retrospect, we should have dug these bullets out and worked out who had shot and what damage the bullets had done, but the combination of shock and elation put this out of our minds. It is something that I regret now.

When we all got up to the buffalo, he was down. Warren, after taking his shot, had taken a step backwards, tripped on a tree root, and had his arse on the ground and his back to a mopani tree. The buffalo had reached 5 yards from him. One of the bullets had paralysed the buffalo's hindquarters. There was a final .470 coup de grace in his neck, at which point his rump came up about 18" off the ground and then flopped back.

The only bullet we checked was my first one. It had hit the shoulder and deflected into the brisket, where it was dug out, having lost half its weight. Mr. Swarrie grumbled a bit about the bullet, but really I think that that is unfair: a soft bullet had hit bone. Had it been a solid, it would have smashed both shoulders and sent slivers of bone goodness-knows-where through the chest.

I suppose that we can all draw our own conclusions. Warren's conclusion was, 'They're machines, these things'. Oh yes, indeed.

Wow! 11 shots from a .470 NE, 7 or 8 rounds from a .500NE and/or .458 Lott. You guys are scaring me!
Just imagine, you have to sink a battleship......

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VelmaKnipe

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?