Dangerous Game Scope

But on my 375 HH I have Swarovski z6 1.7-10x42. Illuminated reticle

I'm intrigued with this setup on a DG as it could flex for large PG. I would not have thought a x42 would be the choice. What's the downside of such a scioe on a DG rifle for say buffalo or lion?

I'm intrigued with this setup on a DG as it could flex for large PG. I would not have thought a x42 would be the choice. What's the downside of such a scioe on a DG rifle for say buffalo or lion?
Nothing wrong with that if you are turned all the way down. Also, have your illuminated reticle set correctly in advance. I check it throughout the day to make sure its brightness is appropriate.

Many of us like a true 1x for DG and have found that a top end of 6x or 8x is all you need for most PG shots, minus some specialized situations like maybe Vaal rhebok or mountain nyala across a big piece of ground.

This is an excellent point and why my DG rifles have straight tube scopes mounted in Talley or EAW pivot mounts. This allows for the most flexibility in achieving perfect alignment for quick, accurate shooting.

100%, as usual @WAB

Talley is a great mount and is what I consider to be the lowest cost “good mount and ring”. $135 for rings and bases that sit mighty low and return to zero. From there, a very handy person can use $450 EAW pivot mounts or have them installed for $700-$900 and they are exceptional. Moving up the price index you go to Griffin & Howe mounts that offer the benefit of no obstruction to original iron sights, german claw mounts for $1500-$2000 and then Rigby and Holland claw mounts being the pinnacle.

What they all have in common is “how low can you go!?”.

There are many of us that own 1990s Zeiss 1.5-4x18mm scopes in claw mounts because they were fool proof. Scopes that acquire targets like iron sights is the key, critical point. Having world class glass like a Swaro 1-6x24mm is gravy.

Without $900 rings and mounts, it is horsesh&t. If you use German Claw mounts or EAW pivot rings, you can get a front ring that goes on the 42mm bell of the scope so it is literally attached to the barrel via a saddle. It allows you to take a huge optic and get it low. But if you go buy a warne, weaver, or leupold ring it gets the heigh so high you are screwing around with your face trying to slosh around on the comb of the gun looking for sight picture while the trophy of a lifetime runs away.

If you can’t be on an animal in 1 to 1.5 seconds, you’re going to lose a lot of animals.

Another really nice “blue collar” scope that allows fast target acquistion is the 1” tube swaro z3 3-9x36mm. They are discontinued in Europe and soon to be discontinued in America. You can buy them for $650 new. It’s a lot of scope for a stalking rifle. We own several of these and they are probably the best sub-$1000 scope money can buy.

Without $900 rings and mounts, it is horsesh&t. If you use German Claw mounts or EAW pivot rings, you can get a front ring that goes on the 42mm bell of the scope so it is literally attached to the barrel via a saddle. It allows you to take a huge optic and get it low. But if you go buy a warne, weaver, or leupold ring it gets the heigh so high you are screwing around with your face trying to slosh around on the comb of the gun looking for sight picture while the trophy of a lifetime runs away.

If you can’t be on an animal in 1 to 1.5 seconds, you’re going to lose a lot of animals.

Another really nice “blue collar” scope that allows fast target acquistion is the 1” tube swaro z3 3-9x36mm. They are discontinued in Europe and soon to be discontinued in America. You can buy them for $650 new. It’s a lot of scope for a stalking rifle. We own several of these and they are probably the best sub-$1000 scope money can buy.

Totally correct. The EAW will let you get low and far enough back for excellent alignment. Most mounts won’t. Here is the Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 in EAW pivot mounts on a Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3x62. It is as low as this scope can be mounted on a HS as the bolt handle barely clears the eye piece.

Image1690664132.155310.jpg

I have several Leupold's in VX3HD, VX5HD, and VX6HD. I just bought a new .458 lott, and I need to buy a new scope. My Leupold's have always performed well, but I want to try something new. Any recommendations? I want something in that 1.5-5X or 1-6X range that has an illuminated reticle. Was thinking about one of the Meopta's, trying to spend less than a grand on this one. Would be nice to find something with a 20, 24, or 30mm tube - that way I can move scopes around a bit.
I love all my Swaro scopes, quality glass

Spot on for the Z3 as @rookhawk outlines. I have one and love it!

Reactions: WAB
I bought a lot from Euro Optic and got a lot of good demo deals but on new stuff, from now on I will call Mark first. He saved me $500 this week.
Agree…if I buy another scope it will be from Mark who I greatly respect

My vote would be a Trjicon Accupoint.
Agree and have a trijicon Accupoint 3x9 with illuminated duplex, works great for coyotes at night and requires No batteries, fairly light too. Do they make lower power models (1.5 to 6 power?).

The Zeiss I just bought was a demo deal on Euro Optic. $500 off, felt like I needed to move fast. Would Mark have saved me even more money?

We don't usually handle the demos like Euro Optic does. We are also not a Zeiss Dealer. Demos or refurbished Swaros I can get from time to time. But Swaro sells them in bulk to places like Euro optic mostly.

Also
I have never advertised it but we also carry and can get just about any Trijicon product. I will try and match or beat the online prices if I can to help out any AH member.

Last edited:
We don't usually handle the demos like Euro Optic does. We are also not a Zeiss Dealer. Demos or refurbished Swaros I can get from time to time. But Swaro sells them in bulk to places like Euro optic mostly.
Mark I just got the scope. Looks great! This one is for my Dakota model 10, 7x57 leopard hunt.
IMG_4446.jpeg

Mark I just got the scope. Looks great! This one is for my Dakota model 10, 7x57 leopard hunt. View attachment 548412

Good Deal! Made it Ahead of schedule!!
I have gone back to UPS for faster shipping. I can get an afternoon pickup around 5:00pm from them. FedEx is only 1 daily around 11am.

Thanks. I have the Z6i 1-6x on a Champlin 458 Lott and Champlin 375. That's a killer scope for DG.

We have very similar taste in optics it seems!

Mark told me he doesn’t have demos but could
beat most pricing on new.

Correct.
I can not publicly say any price below MAP per agreement. That's why I say call me. I can not even say publicly how much off MAP I can offer on current models.

Mark I just got the scope. Looks great! This one is for my Dakota model 10, 7x57 leopard hunt. View attachment 548412

I’m so jealous of your 1-8x24mm. I’ve always wanted one but it isn’t in the budget for me yet.

They are the same size as the 1-6x24mm as you know. About the perfect optic for a dakota 10 in 7x57mm.

This was mine and it took a lot of game in Africa and North America:

IMG_7154.jpeg

I have Meopta R2 1-6x24, on my 9.3x62. Its ok. Illuminated reticle
But on my 375 HH I have Swarovski z6 1.7-10x42. Illuminated reticle.
You cannot compare the two, not with price, not with quality.

If I am again to start buying scopes from beginning it would be either Zeiss, or Swarovski for hunting.

(Scopes in FFP and SFP, various powers for various use from target shooting to hunting that I use and can compare, and all of them are very functional: Vortex, Nikko Stirling, Zeiss, Swarovski, Diana, Meopta. Sightron. I can say based on that, with scopes you get exactly what you pay for)

I have used Vortex 1-8x24, and my impression is it is better then meopta, if that is comforting for middle level priced scope.
I have no experience with any Meopta, therefore I don't comment them.
I possess a Z6 Swarovski with illuminated reticle. The optical and mechanical features are very good, but the design of the switch controlling the illumination is absurd: it is too easy to switch on or off with an accidental touch. The double button switch used by Zeiss is much wiser: it is (almost) impossible to press two buttons at the same time by accident. I added "almost" in brackets because stupidity is limitless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelvinaQua

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg