Dangerous Game Scope

Beck

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have several Leupold's in VX3HD, VX5HD, and VX6HD. I just bought a new .458 lott, and I need to buy a new scope. My Leupold's have always performed well, but I want to try something new. Any recommendations? I want something in that 1.5-5X or 1-6X range that has an illuminated reticle. Was thinking about one of the Meopta's, trying to spend less than a grand on this one. Would be nice to find something with a 20, 24, or 30mm tube - that way I can move scopes around a bit.

Last edited:
Was thinking about one of the Meopta's, trying to spend less than a grand on this one
I have Meopta R2 1-6x24, on my 9.3x62. Its ok. Illuminated reticle
But on my 375 HH I have Swarovski z6 1.7-10x42. Illuminated reticle.
You cannot compare the two, not with price, not with quality.

If I am again to start buying scopes from beginning it would be either Zeiss, or Swarovski for hunting.

(Scopes in FFP and SFP, various powers for various use from target shooting to hunting that I use and can compare, and all of them are very functional: Vortex, Nikko Stirling, Zeiss, Swarovski, Diana, Meopta. Sightron. I can say based on that, with scopes you get exactly what you pay for)

I have used Vortex 1-8x24, and my impression is it is better then meopta, if that is comforting for middle level priced scope.

I have Meopta R2 1-6x24, on my 9.3x62. Its ok. Illuminated reticle
But on my 375 HH I have Swarovski z6 1.7-10x42. Illuminated reticle.
You cannot compare the two, not with price, not with quality.

If I am again to start buying scopes from beginning it would be either Zeiss, or Swarovski for hunting.

(Scopes in FFP and SFP, various powers for various use from target shooting to hunting that I use and can compare, and all of them are very functional: Vortex, Nikko Stirling, Zeiss, Swarovski, Diana, Meopta. Sightron. I can say based on that, with scopes you get exactly what you pay for)

I have used Vortex 1-8x24, and my impression is it is better then meopta, if that is comforting for middle level priced scope.
I have a pair of Zeiss Conquest Bino's, and they are significantly nicer than my Leupold's. They are pretty damn expensive though, I am sure the Victories are nicer too.

When you get past 375 you need much more eye relief. I buy Swarovski binos but Leupold scopes.

My vote would be a Trjicon Accupoint.

I'll second that! My 375 H&H CZ-550 has one, and I used it in SA last year without any issues. I made shots from around 95 yds all the way up to a bit over 300. This scope is bright, and the illuminated dot is wonderful when the animal is in the shadows. This scope will break the bank either. Here is my rifle all dressed up and ready to go. BTW, my scope is a 1-6x24.

CZ.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice set up PARA45!

I've used a lot of Leupold scopes over the years...great glass. I have really made a turn in the last several years to Swaro scopes, particularly the illuminated reticle models...X5i, Z8i, Z6i, etc. I just bought another Z8i 1-8x24 and I have two of the Z6i 1-6x24's on DG rifles. Take a look at some of these scopes if you want to take a step up from Leupold. They are incredible scopes and have helped me make some difficult shots as recently as 2 weeks ago...cape buff in last light in the shadows. Well worth the money!

I've used a lot of Leupold scopes over the years...great glass. I have really made a turn in the last several years to Swaro scopes, particularly the illuminated reticle models...X5i, Z8i, Z6i, etc. I just bought another Z8i 1-8x24 and I have two of the Z6i 1-6x24's on DG rifles. Take a look at some of these scopes if you want to take a step up from Leupold. They are incredible scopes and have helped me make some difficult shots as recently as 2 weeks ago...cape buff in last light in the shadows. Well worth the money!
So expensive though. I think if I step up a notch I'd go with a zeiss

They aren't cheap but I've been putting as good of glass as I can around my neck and on my rifles with no regrets. That and the best boots you can buy are good investments. Zeiss is great too.

R&M Firearms (sponsor here) can get you a killer deal on one. Saves a lot of $.

I'll second that! My 375 H&H CZ-550 has one, and I used it in SA last year without any issues. I made shots from around 95 yds all the way up to a bit over 300. This scope is bright, and the illuminated dot is wonderful when the animal is in the shadows. This scope will break the bank either. Here is my rifle all dressed up and ready to go. BTW, my scope is a 1-6x24.

View attachment 548100
I think I’m going to put that scope on my Dakota in 416 Rem. I want the circle with the crosshairs. Looks like a great value and I like the fact that there’s no battery to worry about.

However you go about it, the illuminated reticle (especially with brightness settings) is a game changer. Try one and see if you don't get 10-20 min more light early and dark in your hunting days. Many of my best animals have been taken in that very early or late time of day. Black reticle on a fuzzy black image in low light is a bad combo. My success rate has gone up considerably by using lighted reticles.

I have 3, on my .375 Ruger I have a leopold vx6 1-6, on my CZ .416 Rigby I have a 1x4 Trijicon accupoint and on my Montana Rifle Company .416 Rigby I have a Trijicon RMR with a 1 moa dot. All work great so I don’t think you can go wrong with any scopes that have been mentioned by anyone on the thread.

Meopta feedback as my 416 sports the Meopta Optika 6.

Pros:
True 1x
Illuminated Reticle
Good DG Reticles (German #4)
Fits on magnum length action
Clear Glass

Cons:
Heavy
Large Diopter and Turrets
Diopter adjustment required across zoom range
Slight fish eye effect at edge of vision

I don’t regret dropping $600 on it, but Leupold and Trijicon would’ve been worthwhile also. Someday, I will pony up for a Swaro.

I have a Trijicon 1-4X 24 dangerous game scope with the lighted triangle post reticle. 30mm. True one power magnification which is ideal for dangerous game hunting. Had it on my 458 and target acquisition is awesome. Let me know if you’re interested

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoellaMath

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!