Dakota 76 vs pre 64 custom

Mdwise75

Reaction score
If you had the option between the 2 for about the same price, which one would you choose?

I’ve bought a handful of pre64 70s for fractional prices compared to a Dakota, last one was a few days ago. A 1948 300 h&h for $683 delivered. The stock was refinished and barrel bluing worn but in otherwise fantastic shape. I’m scrapping the stock and barrel and building a 375. With that said, prices being equal, Dakota 76. They have an incomparable level of refinement and finish. Unless the model 70 has had some magic worked on it with comparable wood, there is no comparison in form and function.

I collect Pre64 M70’s and I can’t see the prices being equal unless one is massively over valued/under valued, or you’re comparing a M70 that’s extremely uncommon and has some value to it. Plain Jane (non prewar) M70 in a common caliber and I’m picking the Dakota. Start getting into more niche stuff like carbines, super grades, pre-war, less common calibers and that question becomes very hard.

Are both guns the same caliber? If so what? What’s the year on the M70? Is it a Super Grade?

For me it would depend on configuration and options. If you just want a plain no frills rifle, the Winchester. Dakota is generally more refined, not to mention a half century+ newer.

I collect Pre64 M70’s and I can’t see the prices being equal unless one is massively over valued/under valued, or you’re comparing a M70 that’s extremely uncommon and has some value to it. Plain Jane (non prewar) M70 in a common caliber and I’m picking the Dakota. Start getting into more niche stuff like carbines, super grades, pre-war, less common calibers and that question becomes very hard.

Are both guns the same caliber? If so what? What’s the year on the M70? Is it a Super Grade?
It’s a 54 receiver done by frank wells, I’ll try and get some pics. They are both 375hh

I love the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 actions.

In that case I’d probably get the frank wells 54. That man put out some magnificent rifles and you’ll have something unique and very special.
Maybe it’s just me and but I’d go the opposite way. There are only a couple custom makers and something like a G&H that I’d pay a premium or above unmolested book value on. I say that because the demand and resale value is there for those gun. I try to consider the longterm resale value of a gun. If I need to sell it, I want to be able to unload it without taking a complete bath and do so quickly without finding the right person. Frank Wells made nice guns but looking at what his other Pre64 customs brought at recent auctions and sales and it’s typically less than book on that gun if unmolested. I liken it to paying $5k over book value for a car with a $5k sound system in it. I don’t want to pay custom prices for custom work built to someone else’s specifications.

I know what a post transition 375’s bring and I know what Dakotas bring. In my opinion he’s either paying a premium for someone else’s semi-custom spec’d M70 or the Dakota is under valued and he should purchase both. Either way, that Dakota would be going home with me if I was in the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mengmengxiyu69

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.