CZ550 Safari Magnum? Check, Winchester Model 70 Safari Express? Check. What affordable dangerous game rifle should I consider next?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
As the title says, looking for other affordable dangerous game rifles similar to those above.

What would be the next logical choice? I'm open to all caliber options aside from 375 and 458.

My first thoughts are either the Ruger Guide Gun or African in 416 Ruger, a Sako 85 in 416 Rigby or 500J or wait for the next Sako 95 and see what it's available in.

What else should I be considering?

The Winchester will be more reliable out of the box. If you can find an upgrade CZ by AHR you will for sure have a nice rifle that will be reliable.

Other than those two brands, you can look at the R8 it offers barrels for 375h&h, 416REM, 458Lott and 500JEFF.

It really depends on what makes you happy.

What else should I be considering?
So, you are looking for affordable CRF rifle in DG caliber. (R8 and double rifle are out of consideration?)
Remaining option in CRF is Zastava m70, produced in 375 H&H and 458 win mag.

Voere Model 2165 in 9.3x64mm Brenneke (although it is only legal to use on dangerous game in Mozambique and Zimbabwe).

Blaser R8 is an excellent choice. However, if you want to stay with CRF…Kimber Caprivi.

Yes I'm hoping to stick with CRF and fill in the gaps around my 375 and 458. I'm not much of a fan of straight pulls.

I am interested in a double, although I don't know if even the cheapest of doubles could be considered "affordable." I do have my eyes on one of the Heyms, Kiregoffs and Merkel's but that's likely a purchase for next year.

I'd say 416 RM, in a Win Mod 70.

&
I'd say 416 RM, in a Win Mod 70.
Thanks, that was a top contender for my last purchase but I ended up going Model 70 in 458.

I'm trying not to duplicate any rifle purchases, I like to own various makes and models rather than several CZs, Winchesters etc.

Is there anything else priced comparable to the Model 70 that I've missed? Or is the M77 and Sako 85 the closest options?

Oh, I get it now, my bad. Then I would seriously consider a Ruger RSM, they are beautiful rifles.

Search used market Winchester M70 416 Rem Mag made between about 2000 and 2006. (New Haven) :)

Last edited:
I own the following
Sako 85 brown bear: .450 Rigby, .416 Rigby, .375 H&H
Sako 85 Kodiak: .375 H&H
Ruger African: .416 Ruger & .375 Ruger
Ruger Alaskan: .375 ruger

I think the Sako's are nicer rifles, but the Ruger makes a pretty darn good gun for the money. If you can find the Ruger Alaskan in .416 or the Sako Brown bear in .416 I would go that route.

If you want further details on the advantages/disadvantages of each rifle PM me.

Last edited:
Hartmann & Weiss 505 Gibbs. If you have to ask how much you can't afford it!

B3dB6RX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be of some help…

You’ve already got the first two most people will recommend for your criteria. Ruger RSM and Mauser actions (zastava, interarms, Rigby, DWM, milsurp, etc) would also be in range.

This might be of some help…

You’ve already got the first two most people will recommend for your criteria. Ruger RSM and Mauser actions (zastava, interarms, Rigby, DWM, milsurp, etc) would also be in range.
Haha, i've listened to that episode and all the other African themed TBGH episodes about 10 times, that was the poscast that got me interested in African hunting in the first place.

??? Well, the 416 Rem Mag IS the gap in between 375 HH and 458 WM. A double rifle in any flavor is a different animal and is not at all, in any way similar to a bolt action.

??? Well, the 416 Rem Mag IS the gap in between 375 HH and 458 WM. A double rifle in any flavor is a different animal and is not at all, in any way similar to a bolt action.
.416 is the most logical next choice but for some reason I'm leaning towards the .416 Ruger over the .416 Remington. It might just be that I'd prefer to buy a Ruger M77 over another Model 70 as that's the only one im familiar with available in .416 Rem.

I'd more likely opt for the .416 Rigby if I were going for a magnum length offering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinceRaq97

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg