Custom Dangerous Game rifles

Brno ZKK602, ghost ring rear sight, barrel band....

Of course with a well proven traditional DG caliber. 375H&H, 404 Jeff, 416 Rigby, 500 Jeff or 505 Gibbs......if you really have you could add the 458 Lott

Honest question. What makes a GMA action worth the premium price? Is it functionally different from other Mauser type CRF actions?
The GMA Mauser 98 can be custom ordered in several lengths and can handle rounds up to 505 Gibbs. It is a solid wall model, available in DSB or SSB, large or small ring. It has ALL the traditional M98 features and, importantly comes with rails and magazine box specific to the cartridge. So no feeding 'adjustments' to rails, follower, ramp or magazine box. The magazine box is one piece - part of the bottom metal assembly. My 404 J holds four down.

It is made of the best modern steel and hardened. It is available in both right and left hand models in all sizes and calibers.
404 May 25 :21 - A.JPG

Last edited:
The GMA Mauser 98 can be custom ordered in several lengths and can handle rounds up to 505 Gibbs. It is a solid wall model, available in DSB or SSB, large or small ring. It has ALL the traditional M98 features and, importantly comes with rails and magazine box specific to the cartridge. So no feeding 'adjustments' to rails, follower, ramp or magazine box. The magazine box is one piece - part of the bottom metal assembly. My 404 J holds four down.

It is made of the best modern steel and hardened. It is available in both right and left hand models in all sizes and calibers.View attachment 486338
really nice!

As stated before , pick your cartridge and then pick the action it needs. I recently had a 404J built on a FN action (great actions and my favorite). The FN action length will handle 375/404 length cartridges but that’s it’s max. Here are a few photos of my 404J.
A9423BA8-6D09-438F-B797-CADCE3ECB921.jpeg
FCB063F5-9E13-43A6-97A5-8FB0B61A92AC.jpeg

500 MDM.................
This stainless gun at the time was sporting a 20 inch barrel, now back to 19 inches, much handier.....Winchester M70 RUM action, true .500 caliber (not .510) 8.5 lbs......... Saw quite a bit of action in Africa.

DSC00923a-XL.jpg

The First 500 MDM built, busted two conventional stocks before discovering Accurate Innovations, this Myrtle Stock as been refinished, original barrel was 21 inches, currently it is also 19 inches. Original high Polish Blue, now it is Matte Black GunKote Finish. It saw all its action in Australia. Very handy coming in at 8 lbs.

DSC09623-XL.jpg

This Winchester M70 in 500 MDM was my first 18 inch version. A very good friend of mine had to have it. It also came in at just 8 lbs. I had it on one trip, non dangerous game to Africa before he claimed it. With him he as taken several buffalo, and stopped a charging elephant with it on one trip.

IMG_2023-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked this one up Tuesday. Built on a Brevex action with all integral feature barrel. It came with Smithson 30mm rings and mounts. I filed in and zeroed the rear sight yesterday. I really like this rifle a lot.
The only problem is that the serial "number" is a single letter A and its on the bottom of the receiver.

20220906_165702.jpg
20220906_165816.jpg
20220906_170347.jpg
20220906_170352.jpg
20220906_170622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked this one up Tuesday. Built on a Brevex action with all integral feature barrel. It came with Smithson 30mm rings and mounts. I filed in and zeroed the rear sight yesterday. I really like this rifle a lot.
The only problem is that the serial "number" is a single letter A and its on the bottom of the receiver.
That is a fine rifle sir!

WOW that's nice!!!
Thank you. I ordered this rifle when I began planning my upcoming trip to Tanzania. I was a bit intimidated at first - it is a large bore rifle with some recoil. But I began shooting it 3 or 4 times a week for the past 8 months - off the bench, and from field positions/off sticks. After several hundred rounds it is more like a familiar friend. I can usually put the bullet in a 3"- 4" circle at 75 to 100 yards shooting off-hand on sticks. Have practiced with the irons at 25 to 50 yards. My property is scattered with small, black painted cardboard boxes - in brush, grass, rocks. I just load up, walk down the hill and shoot at random. No substitute for practice. I'm pretty confident I can do it when it counts.

If you were to build a custom DG rifle for 375 & up, what action would you run? Mausingfield, sako, Rem700, cz550, win70, Defiance Rebel? Im seeing more and more defiance and mausingfields being built on 375. If I’m missing an action please list it and if you are running a custom action please post pics.
If possible, either a BRNO 602 or a CZ 550 for the CRF and mag capacity.

A pre-64 Winny action isn’t a bad choice, but you’ll be limited to a capacity of 3+1 rounds in .375 and 2+1 rounds for the .400-class cartridges.

View attachment 488304View attachment 488305View attachment 488306View attachment 488307View attachment 488308

Wow, what a beauty! What caliber?

If possible, either a BRNO 602 or a CZ 550 for the CRF and mag capacity.

A pre-64 Winny action isn’t a bad choice, but you’ll be limited to a capacity of 3+1 rounds in .375 and 2+1 rounds for the .400-class cartridges.
Mauser is a great choice. The Win M70 is also good. I would note that my M70 Safari Express with Sunnyhill dropped bottom metal loads 4 down in .375H&H and my Granite Mountain M98 in 404 Jeff loads three down. If you go with Mauser the magnum length action is preferable for most DG rounds, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinceRaq97

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg