Custom Dangerous Game rifles

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
If you were to build a custom DG rifle for 375 & up, what action would you run? Mausingfield, sako, Rem700, cz550, win70, Defiance Rebel? Im seeing more and more defiance and mausingfields being built on 375. If I’m missing an action please list it and if you are running a custom action please post pics.

A problem I doubt I’ll ever have to solve, but I would have to say either a CZ550 (somewhat possible) or a GMA magnum (likely out of my league).

I cannot get behind these new designs coming from Defiance and the like. Flutes and rails have no place on a fine custom DG rifle!

GMA worked over by Joe Smithson in 375H&H.
668EFA11-1D6C-476D-8955-461B2B8BE665.png

A problem I doubt I’ll ever have to solve, but I would have to say either a CZ550 (somewhat possible) or a GMA magnum (likely out of my league).

I cannot get behind these new designs coming from Defiance and the like. Flutes and rails have no place on a fine custom DG rifle!
I have no idea what a GMA is I’ll have to look into it

If you were to build a true custom DG rifle there’s no reason not to start without a true magnum action. Sure a M70 or standard length Mauser can be made to work, but in this day and age, why?

Part of the decision on an action depends on the cartridge choice when going above .375 H&H.
A 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery can’t be built on a Winchester 70 or Remington 700.
I am having a 404 Jeffery built on a Winchester 70 because it was originally a .300 RUM. Same case family so to speak. I personally would not ask a smith to build one on a .375 H&H action. Too much extra work on rails and bolt face.
I also like my Legendary Arms Works rifle. It is CRF but mine is short action.
Mine is not a DGR, and while I like the action, I am not sure it would be my first choice on a DGR just because it is not traditional looking.
Don’t forget the feed rails of the action are an important consideration when choosing one for a DGR. Take what case the action was intended for into account. Modifying the case rails is not for “Bubba”.
How much money would you like to spend on an action?
There are some truly great actions being made. Some take deeper pockets.
Cartridge selection will make some difference. The .375 H&H will go in any of the mentioned appropriate long actions. Some of the larger cartridges, not.
Never handled one, but Satterlee makes Mauser style actions as well as GMA.
Best of luck.

Forgot to mention that my .416 Rigby was built on a Dakota action. Definitely would not turn my nose up on a Dakota.

Last edited:
How about a M70/MRC short action in 375, 416,458 or 500 cal B&M? A premium custom DG rifle for sure.

How about a M70/MRC short action in 375, 416,458 or 500 cal B&M? A premium custom DG rifle for sure.
Oh man I’d love to be on the phone call when someone asks @michael458 for a 375B&M!

Reactions: RLL
You can do a nice conversion on a M70 fairly inexpensively. A 375HH can be done less than $1500 plus doner rifle. So all in less than $3000. I did a 375 to 404 recently, if not a custom stock all in would have been this amount.

You can do a nice conversion on a M70 fairly inexpensively. A 375HH can be done less than $1500 plus doner rifle. So all in less than $3000. I did a 375 to 404 recently, if not a custom stock all in would have been this amount.
I am expecting to pay at least 1500 for an action. I am doing a 7mm right now with a m700 donor and I’m in 2800 so far, 4000 with optics.

Last edited:
If I was building another one it’d be on a pre ww2 m98 mauser same as the last one. Say what you will but I prefer the simplicity of the M98 over anything else.

I love when people who watch entirely too much tv say such things as what would "you" "build?" Most of you would NOT build anything! You pay someone to do it for you and you tighten some screws yourself (if you're lucky.) LOL Granite Mtn Arms. Don't believe anything from the MSM (tv, magazines, etc.) LOL And stop saying platform. There is no platform, really, excepting idiots who subscribe to, and vote for, the aforementioned! ;)

I love when people who watch entirely too much tv say such things as what would "you" "build?" Most of you would NOT build anything! You pay someone to do it for you and you tighten some screws yourself (if you're lucky.) LOL Granite Mtn Arms. Don't believe anything from the MSM (tv, magazines, etc.) LOL And stop saying platform. There is no platform, really, excepting idiots who subscribe to, and vote for, the aforementioned! ;)
I did not read the question as If I was actually going to build the rifle myself, more as it I was going to have one built. I know my limitations and it stops well short and building a custom rifle.

Best regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeborahEde

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!