Current state of Dangerous Game optics?

That’s actually a common issue with the advent of throw levers, larger diameter main tubes and higher magnification optics. Higher rings are about the only way to clear. May require a strap on cheekpiece to get cheek weld but will probably be too high if you are using a detachable system for availability of irons as backup

A friend that works for Talley would confirm your observations ... Many of the new scopes have shorter scope tubes not long enough for long or magnum actions... requiring the use of a rail to mount .. You can fill the blanks as to why scope manufacturing is going that way but look at some of the ads in your latest hunting magazine composite stock fiberglass wrapped barrel large muzzle brake, bipod, and scope with turrets all on a 6.5..

Methinks it’s definitely a systematic approach. Helps sell rails! Plus the newer stock designs with reverse comb lead to a higher mounted optic

If I've correctly understood (and I might not) the optics discussions on another forum, it seems like 'eyebox' and maybe 'field-of-view' are the culprits for the ever-growing oculars on rifle scopes. Since nobody want to look through a straw, we will have to live with the larger ocular bells.

But it's a shame to get the advice to "get higher rings"...

If it was only possible to manufacture a say...
* 1-10x42, with 100mm/4" eye-relief.
* German #4-ish reticle with 2-3 hold-over lines
* First focal plane
* Illuminated dot in the middle
* Good glass/coatings of course

I think I would get one for each of my rifles and be done with it.

Anyone tried a scout scope like this one -VX-FREEDOM 1.5-4X28 IER SCOUT DUPLEX. I know it is kind of out of the box and I guess you would have to mount it forward- maybe on the front bridge and it will look a little strange but 6 “ of eye relief would give you some room to work with.

Looks like someone needs to do some testing from the budget to the top of the line. Please @michael458 (y)
Im still holding out for a Nikon :rolleyes: :X3: :sick: or wait till I head back stateside to pick up a Leupold…….I can’t justify the price tags of the Zeis Swaro etc. not when I’m saving hard out for a my first hunting safari.
I’ve a sweet as red dot, that will more than do the job. This I’ve mounted on my 7x57 and have been using here on Fallow, roe and Muntjac. Have done a load of range time with it as well to get used to it while fire forming brass.
If you're still interested in a Nikon I have a monarch 3 1-4x20 that I could sell you.

Its been discussed on the forum before, but we still seem to have a very limited selection of low power scopes with eye relief that is suitable for the heavy recoiling rifles. Ideally I would like a low power 1-4 or 1-6 variable that will handle recoil, has a German no4 reticle and 4-5" of eye relief. Euro glass and illumination of the reticle would be a bonus. I cant find much on the market today that meets this criteria. Anyone have any suggestions?
GPO, German Precision Optics has that type of scope, the Spectra 6x 1-6x24i.

I have no vested interest in GPO or dealers, just something I found.

Illuminated dot German number 4, 4" eye relief, lighter weight at 1.1 pounds. I am only quoting from their specs but it checks all the boxes for me. I prefer a 1" tube versus a 30mm, but current offerings don't exist. Trijicon, which my gunsmith recommends with the post, green triangle reticle is in only a 30mm tube.
I have no idea of the ruggedness of GPO in real world use on big bores. A good warranty, but that means nothing until I have put several hundred .40+ caliber loads downrange. I will research reviews.
@michael458 testing has revealed a LOT of valuable information on which scopes work (Nikon African or Slug hunter) and the rest of nice scopes that break.

Camera Land in NY has these on their website. I have never seen or handled one but am quite interested.

Illuminated dot German number 4, 4" eye relief, lighter weight at 1.1 pounds. I am only quoting from their specs but it checks all the boxes for me. I prefer a 1" tube versus a 30mm, but current offerings don't exist. Trijicon, which my gunsmith recommends with the post, green triangle reticle is in only a 30mm tube.
I have no idea of the ruggedness of GPO in real world use on big bores. A good warranty, but that means nothing until I have put several hundred .40+ caliber loads downrange. I will research reviews.
@michael458 testing has revealed a LOT of valuable information on which scopes work (Nikon African or Slug hunter) and the rest of nice scopes that break.

Camera Land in NY has these on their website. I have never seen or handled one but am quite interested.
Yes, the GPO scopes seem to have a lot of the features I am looking for. They were available in Australia a few years ago, but I almost never see them today, so I have to assume they didnt sell well. It makes it difficult to actually look through one before buying.

I have one of the GPO Spectra models in 1.5-9x32. I can't speak to it as far as recoil tolerance as I have only used it on a rifle chambered in .308 Winchester but thus far I have been pleasantly surprised with this model.
The 4" eye relief with comfortable "eye box" and 80' field of view on 1.5 is spot on.

I have one of the GPO Spectra models in 1.5-9x32. I can't speak to it as far as recoil tolerance as I have only used it on a rifle chambered in .308 Winchester but thus far I have been pleasantly surprised with this model.
The 4" eye relief with comfortable "eye box" and 80' field of view on 1.5 is spot on.
Thanks. Thats encouraging. That model is one that I think makes a lot of sense

You might look at a Leupold 1.5-5 vx3 hd. I’m putting one on a No 1 in 375 for 2026. Top end could be higher but I’ve had great luck with this series and so have some customers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?