Current state of Dangerous Game optics?

Yes, it looks like a very nice scope, but eye relief is still under 4"
It seems to have good eye relief to me. I know this is very important. Most everyone gets scoped at some point (except me) so we want to avoid that. I believe it is correct LOP that is most critical in this regard.

It seems to have good eye relief to me. I know this is very important. Most everyone gets scoped at some point (except me) so we want to avoid that. I believe it is correct LOP that is most critical in this regard.

Very true. I have seen so many hunters/ shooters getting a Weatherby eye because of a stock that is to short. Obviously if eye relief is very poor and the scope is mounted to far back it has the same effect to a large extent. But a stock that fits well will forgive an inch of eye relief.

It has been said thousands of times on this forum, but if you can find a used Swarovski 1-6x24 EE it will be hard to beat in terms of ticking all the boxes.

I may get flamed for this (and that would hurt my feelings if only i had any) but I've become a big fan of the vortex razor hd gen2-e 1-6x. It's got the illuminated red dot and the best eye box I've ever seen.

Also, unlike the GI JOE mall ninja commando types, the elevation and windage turrets are capped which is important to me for hunting. Only the knob to turn on the illumination and adjust brightness is exposed.

Classically I'm a Leupold guy but this one really impresses me. It's got plenty of eye relief and when you're shooting with both eyes open at 1x you almost don't even see the body of the scope.
Glass is comparable to my eyes with swarovski and the VX5/6 Leupolds.

I rebuild and headspace and play with old FAL battle rifles and it survives them well.
I'm mounting it to my 375 blaser barrel and adding iron sights as a backup.

The only downsides are that it comes in a sort of purple-ish bronze color which reminds me of Thanos from the avengers and I can't get the screw-on flip-caps like you can with Leupold.

Looks like someone needs to do some testing from the budget to the top of the line. Please @michael458 (y)
Im still holding out for a Nikon :rolleyes: :X3: :sick: or wait till I head back stateside to pick up a Leupold…….I can’t justify the price tags of the Zeis Swaro etc. not when I’m saving hard out for a my first hunting safari.
I’ve a sweet as red dot, that will more than do the job. This I’ve mounted on my 7x57 and have been using here on Fallow, roe and Muntjac. Have done a load of range time with it as well to get used to it while fire forming brass.

Last edited:
Sadly this has become a bitch fest for the lack of good simple scopes on the market.
Hell Leupold's new VX-5HD 1-5x24 has a CDS Turret !!??... I'm sorry if I offend anyone but who needs a CDS Turret on a 1-5..It's one more thing to go wrong.

Just found this yeah its old but gives a good brake down of what was out there then.
Maybe somone cant ug it?

Out of curiosity I measured the diameter of the adjustment ring on a handful of strait tube 30mm scopes that are likely to be the choice, for at least some of us, to mount on a DG rifle.

I was curious as to which model had the best "bolt clearance" for a conventional bolt action.
The Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24 has a smaller eyepiece, including the knob on the adjustment ring (44.7mm) than all others measured at the ring, EXCLUDING the knob. I have my personal favorites but I have to give credit where it's due.
S&B Exos illuminated 1-8 standard and TMR ring, Swarovski Z8i 1-8 and Z6i 1-6, Zeiss V6i 1-6, and the Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 were measured.
This doesn't have anything to do with eye relief but some may find it useful.

It puzzles me a bit that Swarovski has not come out with a z8i EE. Seems like R&D is already done, production cost would be on par with current offering, and the market, although not huge, would support it.

Phillip, I agree. I had an incident on Cape Buffalo hunt that cut a new pair of prescription glasses. So, I restocked my 300 WSM and in the process of restocking my 375 H&H. I shoot so much better with quicker target acquisition. So, I have begun restocking all my hunting rifles even my 22-250. Eye relief will not be an issue with a properly fitted stock. Get measured by a competent gunsmith and you will be amazed. I love the Swarovski Z8i.

Looks like someone needs to do some testing from the budget to the top of the line. Please @michael458 (y)
If there are any 1 Inch scopes that have all the proper requirements, Size--Field of View--eye relief, I would be happy to try some........... I am just not going to mess with any 30mm scopes period. They do not fit my size requirement.

Im still holding out for a Nikon
Best option...... keep looking..........

Swarovski just dropped this

Seems good to me
Screenshot_20230926_235513_Chrome.jpg

I wonder what @ Michael458 would think ...
First Thought.........

Over the years there have been several, probably 1/2 dozen or so, Swarovski scopes come thru. I never owned one, always someone wanting it put on their gun. As I recall all 1X4 or 1X6 or similar. None survived, and all busted in one way or another, mostly just quit moving, and could not sight in. Finally I started telling guys do not bring them as it would lead to a waste of time. Back before Nikon went Woke, I had them get Nikons, problem solved.

Second Thought.........

The one posted above sure does have lots of gizmos and gadgets on it

So, we need a 1" tube, "bulletproof" construction, and a simple workable reticle, with 4"++ eye relief. Could it be any simpler? Surely there's a scope-builder out there who can, and WILL build them?

What did Nikon do? Stop making scopes?
Yes, its been a couple of years now, no more rifle scopes.
So, we need a 1" tube, "bulletproof" construction, and a simple workable reticle, with 4"++ eye relief. Could it be any simpler? Surely there's a scope-builder out there who can, and WILL build them?
Don't forget Field Of View............. When you are 10 steps from a lion, you don't want to see a tan spot... you want to see a whole lion....... or buffalo, elephant, hippo what have you..........

I think two things .......... small market and the scope manufacturers do not understand the market. Small..... how many scopes are sold for big bore rifles as opposed to all others? Understanding the market we represent, we don't need or want something loaded with gizmos and gadgets, our mission is more simple.

A friend of mine had a chat some years ago with a Leupold representative about the scopes not holding up on the big bores. The Leupold Rep told him that Nikon glued the reticles in place and built those small Monarchs like tanks, but they could not be customized and Leupold customers like to change reticles and have the scopes customized........ ??? OK....... all good, I told my friend get more damn glue out, I was not interested in scope customization. I suppose their is not enough money in the big bore market, and not enough understanding of what is needed, even though we think its pretty simple.

I just did a quick inventory, simple walk around, I saw 16 big bore rifles sporting 1X4 Nikons, and 7 spare 1X4 Nikon, not counting rifles that are put away in the safe, or standing in the range right now. I am pretty well set for life. Some might say, "What will you do when one breaks?" Since there is no Nikon repair that I know of, I suppose I would trash it. Not sure when that day would come, because I have yet to bust one, regardless of how many big bore rounds that has been fired, and that is in 1000s, not 100s...........So if I ever had one to break, I would look for another one to replace it. So far that has not happened..............So I will take my chances I think........

DSC02663-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, its been a couple of years now, no more rifle scopes.

Don't forget Field Of View............. When you are 10 steps from a lion, you don't want to see a tan spot... you want to see a whole lion....... or buffalo, elephant, hippo what have you..........

I think two things .......... small market and the scope manufacturers do not understand the market. Small..... how many scopes are sold for big bore rifles as opposed to all others? Understanding the market we represent, we don't need or want something loaded with gizmos and gadgets, our mission is more simple.

A friend of mine had a chat some years ago with a Leupold representative about the scopes not holding up on the big bores. The Leupold Rep told him that Nikon glued the reticles in place and built those small Monarchs like tanks, but they could not be customized and Leupold customers like to change reticles and have the scopes customized........ ??? OK....... all good, I told my friend get more damn glue out, I was not interested in scope customization. I suppose their is not enough money in the big bore market, and not enough understanding of what is needed, even though we think its pretty simple.

I just did a quick inventory, simple walk around, I saw 16 big bore rifles sporting 1X4 Nikons, and 7 spare 1X4 Nikon, not counting rifles that are put away in the safe, or standing in the range right now. I am pretty well set for life. Some might say, "What will you do when one breaks?" Since there is no Nikon repair that I know of, I suppose I would trash it. Not sure when that day would come, because I have yet to bust one, regardless of how many big bore rounds that has been fired, and that is in 1000s, not 100s...........So if I ever had one to break, I would look for another one to replace it. So far that has not happened..............So I will take my chances I think........

View attachment 560132

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinTri

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well