COVID-19 Coronavirus UPDATES, BANS, CLOSURES, ADVISORY, etc.

Visiting with our outfitter, we are going to hold out till last week of April or about about a week before current flight to reassess the plan. If need be we shift a few months in hopes everything opens back up. Time will tell, definitely sucks but could always be worse.

Postponements....

Talking with an er doc who said one of the highest risks for serious illness and/or death are smokers(sorry mort) especially those lifelong smokers. Couple that with poor diet (poverty) and inability to access quality healthcare (poverty). And high density housing (often poverty)-recipe for disaster. I think I’ll skip the marathons-and keep my family close by and laying low for awhile

While for insurance purposes, I am considered a smoker, the majority of cigar smokers do not inhale, thus not subjecting the lungs to the damages of lifelong inhaled carcinogens, nor the inherent issues of susceptibility to air born viruses. I know my second hand smoke is the issue. However, I make life choices every day so if it is a car wreck, cancer, Covid-19, or old age that kills me, I am at peace with my spirituality and faith and am not operating out of fear but caution for the greater good. So no offense taken @Firebird and no need to feel sorry.

That said, I am taking the warnings seriously since my age classification, along with other factors put me at risk.

Just like I do head into the thick bush with a .243 to take on a Cape Buff, I am not going out into the masses licking door knobs. Common sense is the watch word. Something the world seems quite short of in this day and age.

Yes, Yancy, but WHY are they predicting that 'the next month of two will be 'far worse?' What does 'worse' mean? Does it mean, for example, 'much worse' in terms of the safari industry's business [as well as numerous other businesses] or does it mean 'much worse' in terms of serious disease. I think it is safe to predict that many African nations with impoverished infrastructures and numerous Red Chinese operatives and 'workers', are going to experience a lot of cases of covid 19. On the other hand, with limited medical facilities, many citizens of these nations, who do get sick, are likely to rely on their own devices. If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it still make a noise as it falls? I think so.

If our healthcare system in the US can bend and not break, then we hopefully can have an outcome here that looks much more like South Korea. If the system gets pressed past critical mass, then you get an outcome that looks more like Italy. Both of those are not scenarios anyone wants to experience, but one is a hell of a lot better than the other.

I'm not a medical professional, but I am a government affairs exec with the largest health care company in the world. We have some of the top biostatisticians in the industry and they are providing daily briefings to senior leadership. Every single briefing has left more concerned, the next month or so going to be far worse than I thought possible 10 days ago.

oh shit.
What else would you recommend ?

I am not going out into the masses licking door knobs. Common sense is the watch word. Something the world seems quite short of in this day and age.
I had the grave misfortune to know someone who, because they "wanted to get sick and get to stay home from school for an extra week", did in fact go around licking doorknobs at a hotel during a convention. Boy was an idjit.

On the way back from the range today I noticed one nasty side effect around here -- children playing in the street! Deprived of their programmed all-inclusive Caribbean vacation, they have flood out into the street. Chaos ensues and they play hoops, ride bikes and generally make a nuisance of themselves out there. Drive safely guys, least you dent your truck on this madness.

I think the deal with this virus is anyone can have it and have no symptoms. Your doctor could be a have it and be doing surgery on people. This is the problem not enough testing. I've heard 1.7 million could die in the US. I thought bull, but when I thought of cancer patients, heart disease, copd, drug addicts, alcoholics, homeless people, HIV, the list could go on. What scares the hell out of the government is the huge amount of carriers who don't appear sick. It's like you feel good but give the virus to your already sick grandma or your friend who's getting chemo. Me I live on a farm and it's not going to kill me to plant my garden and catch a few catfish. Going to lay low for awhile.

oh shit.
What else would you recommend?

I have pretty much sealed my parents, who are in their 80s, into their house. I have taken my kids out of school, closed my wife's offices and I am working from home. That's about all I know to do.

I am lucky to have plenty of supplies and enough room to spread out for a few weeks, so that's my plan.

Last edited:
I think the deal with this virus is anyone can have it and have no symptoms. Your doctor could be a have it and be doing surgery on people. This is the problem not enough testing. I've heard 1.7 million could die in the US. I thought bull, but when I thought of cancer patients, heart disease, copd, drug addicts, alcoholics, homeless people, HIV, the list could go on. What scares the hell out of the government is the huge amount of carriers who don't appear sick. It's like you feel good but give the virus to your already sick grandma or your friend who's getting chemo. Me I live on a farm and it's not going to kill me to plant my garden and catch a few catfish. Going to lay low for awhile.

I actually think it’s been here a lot longer than we think. I’ve comm’d with several people who had classic CV symptoms almost 3 months ago, went to the doc, tested negative for flu. His whole family got it, all tested neg for flu. All respiratory cases of varying degrees. The doc flat-out said (at that time) he had no idea what it was.

I think plenty of Self-treated flu cases this were not; they were CV

I actually think it’s been here a lot longer than we think. I’ve comm’d with several people who had classic CV symptoms almost 3 months ago, went to the doc, tested negative for flu. His whole family got it, all tested neg for flu. All respiratory cases of varying degrees. The doc flat-out said (at that time) he had no idea what it was.

I think plenty of Self-treated flu cases this were not; they were CV
I think you are likely correct. I think many, many others had no symptoms at all. They are almost certainly no longer infectious and are likely immune from this particular strain. In other words they are well and were never really at risk. To me that is actually a good news story. If those numbers are true, it means the virus is less lethal than we thought - perhaps significantly so - and the target critical population can be pretty easily identified. Getting them out of contact with the general population would seem to make far more sense to me than paralyzing the whole developed world. Of course, we would be "profiling" in that instance, but it is an achievable goal. Far more likely to be successful than the current containment strategy, and would be more effective in flattening the curve for those who need critical care. Thankfully, nursing and assisted living facilities are implementing those measures across the country.

I have pretty sealed my parents, who are in their 80s, into their house. I have taken my kids out of school, closed my wife's offices and I am working from home. That's about all I know to do.

I am lucky to have plenty of supplies and enough room to spread out for a few weeks, so that's my plan.

I did that too. We're a few weeks ahead of you.
The pictures of airports in the USA are terrible.
What we in Europe still don't understand are the many dead in Italy. 368 dead in Italy today !!! alone ( 1800 dead, more than all of Europe together ).
We in Germany 12 in total .
What the hell is the reason for this?

Last edited:
Good question Foxi..why is it spreading like wildfire in Europe...Norway too...it is scary...I am in lockdown with plenty supplies...even drive out in the woods to walk the dog...there are probably a lot more infected in the population than we ccurrently know..

What we in Europe still don't understand are the many dead in Italy. 368 dead in Italy today !!! alone ( 1800 dead, more than all of Europe together ).

A guess:
Culture, Italians are a lot more touchy feely than Germans;
age of the populations and
availability of enough medical equipment on hand to deal with the spike in cases.

Everyone went skiing in Italy for a holiday and took the virus home.
UK, RSA, etc.

It is my point about the hospital system getting overwhelmed. People are too focused on fatality rates and not the serious complication rate. The hospitals are far beyond their capacity and we are seeing the results.

The news out of France yesterday that over half of all ICU patients they have with the virus are under the age is 60 is a good example. As long as those patients have access to quality care, they should recover. As long as the system can handle the influx.

Back in December I got really sick and so did one of my best friends wife, we both went to the doctor and they said that we didn't have the flu and that it was probably just some different kind of virus. I took a bunch of pills to combat the symptoms and eventually after a few weeks got better. My friends wife wasn't so lucky she wound up in the hospital for several weeks and due to problems with her lungs she succumbed to the virus and we buried her in January. Looking back it really makes me wonder what the hell we had.

Back in December I got really sick and so did one of my best friends wife, we both went to the doctor and they said that we didn't have the flu and that it was probably just some different kind of virus. I took a bunch of pills to combat the symptoms and eventually after a few weeks got better. My friends wife wasn't so lucky she wound up in the hospital for several weeks and due to problems with her lungs she succumbed to the virus and we buried her in January. Looking back it really makes me wonder what the hell we had.

Very sorry to hear this, but this is almost the same story as the other guys I’ve talked to. They were in their 40s. Presume your friends wife may have been older?

Italy apparently has an older population on average. But yes, a very strange outlier for this virus!!

Lodi, Italy went into lockdown on 2-23 and Bergamo didn't until 3-8. You might ultimately end up with the same number of infections, but elongating the bell is going to allow the system of a much better chance of being able to handle those with serious complications.
ETKpOGEX0AIcWjE-1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrianR23

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!