Cleaning rod or bore snake?

I have used all different methods of cleaning over the past 45 years. No one method has increased or decreased the accuracy of my rifles and my minimum standard to stay in my safe is 1/2 MOA.
I have never used a bore guide. I do use a Bore Snake at times between more thorough cleanings.
What I do know is if you ask 10 people how they clean and what works best, you will get 10 different answers.
Do what works for you and don’t worry about what the so called “experts” try to tell you.

@Ontario Hunter - you stated above that you “CAN”T RECALL” coworkers getting Alzheimer’s ?? That’s a “symptom” right there !! Be careful
I do know what planet I'm on ... most of the time. My cognitive abilities post aluminum plant were sufficient to obtain an MA and PhD so all that ore dust and fluoride apparently didn't accelerate dementia significantly.

I do know what planet I'm on ... most of the time. My cognitive abilities post aluminum plant were sufficient to obtain an MA and PhD so all that ore dust and fluoride apparently didn't accelerate dementia significantly.
@Ontario Hunter — yep, None of us can blame our dificiencies on chemicals…we are all a little bit “Off center”.

The main problem with a bore snake is that when (NOT IF) it gets stuck in the barrel you have a real problem. Further the soft snake will pick up abrasive material (yes, even if you shake it) where a steel rod is deliberately made hard so it won't do that, while it is still softer than the barrel.

The main problem with a bore snake is that when (NOT IF) it gets stuck in the barrel you have a real problem. Further the soft snake will pick up abrasive material (yes, even if you shake it) where a steel rod is deliberately made hard so it won't do that, while it is still softer than the barrel.
@Sheldor —- None of that is a problem or risk when using a Bore Snake in a shotgun….

@Sheldor —- None of that is a problem or risk when using a Bore Snake in a shotgun….
Or a rifle. Unless the snake is badly worn out, it seems doubtful it would come apart in the bore. And who would use one to the point of wearing it out? How else could the snake get stuck in the barrel? The bronze tip is available at one end. Hook up the handle or stand on it like I do and pull it through. The loop is free on the other if I need to pull it back out through the chamber. Bore snake is made of tough woven nylon, maybe tough enough to tow my car. I don't see one breaking off inside my rifle barrel. And what kind of "abrasives" are supposed to get caught in the bore snake fabric? Copper, lead, and gunpowder/primer residue can hardly be considered abrasive compared to the hardness of my rifle's bore.

I use high quality one piece rods with ball bearing handles with bore guides or muzzle guides depending on direction of cleaning. The only time I can envision an absolute must to clean a rifle bore during a hunt would be to clear debris or an obstruction. Me thinks a snake would be kind of useless for any serious field use for clearing an obstruction. Carrying a snake on a hunt seems like one of those things that sounds good on paper. :)
I put a take down rod in my hard gun case when traveling. Plus, I always keep my rifle’s muzzle taped to help prevent such problems.

Last edited:
The problem with bore snakes is that people don't clean them and you are dragging that old grime through your barrel.

I do pack one in my day pack just encase I need it.

The only rifles that I clean from the muzzle are my semi autos, and that is just a 22 Lr. All the rest are cleaned from the chamber.
That’s me on the bore snake. I just take it for the what if scenarios while hunting.

I use a snake for cleaning, at home or at camp. After a day in the rain, sleet or snow, a couple of pull throughs with the snake and a little oil to keep things fresh.

On another forum I once had an interesting, albeit fruitless, discussion with a well-known gun editor re the proper method of cleaning rifle bores. His thread was pushing some muzzle protector gizmo. I asked him how could my aluminum cleaning rod be any more damaging to rifling at the crown than a copper clad lead bullet jammed through the bore at extremely high pressure? His answer was cleaning rods will damage the threads at the crown because ... he says they will. Then he proceeded to get nasty and closed the thread. Oh well. Recess is over.

A few years ago the retired gunsmith who introduced me to African hunting also introduced me to bore snakes. He gave me a "cheap Chinese knockoff" in a zip lock bag. He'd picked up a box of them at a gunshow somewhere and used them as promotions. It didn't seem to work well if used as directed but I quickly found a better way. Removing the rifle bolt, I always clean from the chamber towards the muzzle. This ensures all crud is pushed out of the gun and not left in the chamber (i.e. cleaning from muzzle end towards chamber). I cut strips of rag in appropriate sizes to compress tightly in the bore: about size of my middle finger for 404J and little finger for 30-06). Holding the rifle muzzle down, I drop the brass end of bore snake into chamber and down through the bore. Then I step on the brass end and start pulling the snake through as I lift the rifle upwards. Repeat step-and-pull till the loop end of bore snake is at open chamber. Place the piece of rag in the loop and step-and-pull till the rag is pulled all the way through the bore. The tighter the fit, the better it cleans. Solvent can be added to rag as needed. Repeat till no residue on the rags. Every so often I screw a small shotgun brush (usually 28 gauge) onto final length of three piece cleaning rod, lock the rod section into variable speed portable drill, and clean the chamber, usually before cleaning the bore.

Anyway, that's the way I do it. No need for gizmo crown protectors. And I get my barrels squeaky clean. Also, don't need to assemble and disassemble rods, brushes, etc.

Bore snakes have their place, they clean debris from a barrel and they do not undue the "fowling shot". I always bring a boresnake to Africa because its perfect for that purpose.

Their downside is they don't do a particularly great job of cleaning guns. There's been tons of tests of this and they just don't get bores very clean. They also smear dirt all over the bore as the rope gets soiled over time. It's a field tool, not a tool used in lieu of a proper cleaning rod in a gun room.

As to rods, they absolutely can and do damage rifling, usually as they start to come apart (metal multi-piece being the worst) but an all metal rod can also hang up in the crown damaging that regardless of one, two, or twenty-five piece designs.

The metal rods can also interact with solvents.

The very best cleaning rod is a one-piece plastic coated metal dewey rod. They aren't very expensive, roughly $15 and they come in every length and diameter one can imagine. You do want a larger rod for a larger bore so that you can apply more pressure without the rod bending, but that's the best.

I've used Dewey rods on $100 guns and I've used Dewey rods on $100,000 guns. I cannot say I'd be willing to do the same to either gun with a take-apart metal cleaning rod.

Bore snakes have their place, they clean debris from a barrel and they do not undue the "fowling shot". I always bring a boresnake to Africa because its perfect for that purpose.

Their downside is they don't do a particularly great job of cleaning guns. There's been tons of tests of this and they just don't get bores very clean. They also smear dirt all over the bore as the rope gets soiled over time. It's a field tool, not a tool used in lieu of a proper cleaning rod in a gun room.

As to rods, they absolutely can and do damage rifling, usually as they start to come apart (metal multi-piece being the worst) but an all metal rod can also hang up in the crown damaging that regardless of one, two, or twenty-five piece designs.

The metal rods can also interact with solvents.

The very best cleaning rod is a one-piece plastic coated metal dewey rod. They aren't very expensive, roughly $15 and they come in every length and diameter one can imagine. You do want a larger rod for a larger bore so that you can apply more pressure without the rod bending, but that's the best.

I've used Dewey rods on $100 guns and I've used Dewey rods on $100,000 guns. I cannot say I'd be willing to do the same to either gun with a take-apart metal cleaning rod.
If a clean rag is pulled tightly through the bore behind the bore snake (i.e. clean piece of rag in the finger loop at the end of snake), how will any dirt be left in the barrel? I agree, just whipped through a bore per the instructions that come with a bore snake makes it only a marginal cleaning tool. But pulling compressed patches through the bore as per my method gives the same high pressure cleaning as a rigid cleaning rod without any worries (real or imagined) of damaging the bore from rod contact. Also, I never apply solvent to the snake, only the bit of rag slipped inside the snake's finger loop.

If a clean rag is pulled tightly through the bore behind the bore snake (i.e. clean piece of rag in the finger loop at the end of snake), how will any dirt be left in the barrel? I agree, just whipped through a bore per the instructions that come with a bore snake makes it only a marginal cleaning tool. But pulling compressed patches through the bore as per my method gives the same high pressure cleaning as a rigid cleaning rod without any worries (real or imagined) of damaging the bore from rod contact. Also, I never apply solvent to the snake, only the bit of rag slipped inside the snake's finger loop.

I think your response sorta answers your own question.

To do a proper, gun room cleaning of a bore, its a multistep process. Typically using a variety of powder and lead solvents with an undersized (used up) bronze brush impacted with 0000 bronze wool and a cotton patch rolled around it like a cigarette. Once its spotless, roughly 50 passes back and forth, then you go to the next solvent. Plastic/copper solvent. Same process. You may then need to go back to the former again if you're removing buildup that has been present for a long time, or if you're shooting solids through the gun. Lastly, you're going to an inert plastic brush to do final scrubbing so you're not dissolving a bronze brush using copper solvent. Then you're applying a final coat of Kroil to the bore.

This level of elbow grease and the caustic nature of the solvents is not conducive to using a bore snake. It's also not a cleaning type you can do in the bush either.

Every tool has its place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameswilliamsau

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]