Africa
Mathews Wake 80#
RH 28” draw
Gas strings
Hamskea Trinity
Trophy Ridge pro 5 pin
Bee Stinger micro hex
6 arrow quiver

$750 TYD (lower48) as pictured or $600 bare.

If you’re a 28” draw I can offer the arrows and broadheads as part of a package deal with this bow.
250 spine Sirius Apollos
300 gr Tough head broadheads
300 gr practice tips

750 grain total weight, Sirius Apollo 250 spine shaft with 100gr stainless insert, 300gr Tuffhead broadhead, 4 fletch AAE Max vanes and Nocturnal nock. Shooting out of the Mathews Wake 80lb at 246fps with 102 ftlbs of kinetic energy. I harvested a Cape buffalo with this set up in July 2022.

I accept Venmo or certified funds. I do not have or use PayPal. I have plenty of references if needed.

84932F04-FCCF-4D1D-BC64-EA129A484504.jpeg
C2F8571F-BF53-4826-92C7-1A863C4CA2DF.jpeg
6D7C0D19-A009-46C7-AF0F-C777715D8862.jpeg
09BD585C-137A-4A6C-889D-C91D66D6EFCA.jpeg
114C0065-6889-41E5-9FBC-C34EA53124F1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking bow and congrats on your Cape buffalo!

Can you share your experience with that set-up? How did the arrow build perform? How much penetration did you get and what distance was the shot? Thanks!

Arrow build performed flawlessly, stayed in tact. The shot on my buffalo was roughly 22yds. Slightly quartering away. The arrow broke ribs on the way in, went through the heart and stuck in the opposite shoulder almost exiting! The tip went through the opposite shoulder and muscle etc stopping just below the hide. When the buffalo took its first step after the shot it pushed the arrow back into the chest cavity popping it out of that opposite shoulder as he took that step. This bent the insert when he took that first step but the arrow did not snap. The arrow did not break until the buffalo fell over onto the entry side snapping the shaft. See additional pics, a little graphic.

DC9D95D9-F368-4534-BBDF-07C72FFA00C6.jpeg
E7034A4C-F7B6-446F-AB96-78ACBD801B56.jpeg
070D8D33-4C8B-4603-9C73-6D5F3768FA49.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a PSE Omen set on 70lb draw I need to shoot! That thing looks like it did a GREAT job!

Is the draw length adjustable on that bow or do you need to buy a new cam for a longer draw?

Is the draw length adjustable on that bow or do you need to buy a new cam for a longer draw?
You can change the draw mods. It’s currently 28” I have 29.5” mods as well that I could sell with it or you can buy any draw length mods you need up to 31” from Mathews.

Fantastic Rig and amazing performance! Congrats!! I read books on Howard Hill and Fred Bear doing amazing shots on African Game including Elephants...
That should be next on your Cupid List!
20230218_184429.jpg

Fantastic Rig and amazing performance! Congrats!! I read books on Howard Hill and Fred Bear doing amazing shots on African Game including Elephants...
That should be next on your Cupid List!View attachment 518161
Thanks, I don’t know if I’ll ever hunt elephant. Cape buffalo with archery was a dream and I’m glad to have accomplished it. It took allot of planning and preparation. If someone else has this on their bucket list this bow is set up to do the job.

This archery setup is still available. If anyone is considering going after Cape buffalo or any large game in Africa here is your opportunity to have a turnkey proven setup.

That's an awesome set up you have for Cape buffalo hunting. It's impressive that you harvested one with this bow! I'm interested in your bow and the package deal you're offering. However, before we proceed, I would like to know if the bow is still available for sale. Also, I'm a bit unsure about my draw length. Would you recommend that I calculate the bow's draw length online using a calculator like the one on https://archerytopic.com/draw-length-calculator/ ? Finally, I don't have Venmo, but I can pay you with certified funds. Let me know if that works for you.

That's an awesome set up you have for Cape buffalo hunting. It's impressive that you harvested one with this bow! I'm interested in your bow and the package deal you're offering. However, before we proceed, I would like to know if the bow is still available for sale. Also, I'm a bit unsure about my draw length. Would you recommend that I calculate the bow's draw length online using a calculator like the one on https://archerytopic.com/draw-length-calculator/ ? Finally, I don't have Venmo, but I can pay you with certified funds. Let me know if that works for you.

Draw lenght is very important to get right. Any formula or calculator used should be regarded as a starting point to get you close. Before buying a bow that does not have adjustable draw length cabability, I hightly recommend going to a reputable bow shop where you can physically draw some bows and make sure that the draw lenght suggested by the calucltor is on the money.

I do still have the bow. Are you an avid bow hunter or looking to get into bow hunting? I ask because bow hunters generally know their draw length, it does not change. This setup is for large game, not practical for all around use in my opinion. This bow is adjustable by swapping draw length modules like most newer compound bows, the mods are available from Mathews. If this sounds like something you would like to discuss further you can PM me to discuss. Thanks for your interest!

Nothing against bow hunting, but why are there rifle caliber/energy requirements if you can kill DG with a bow? Just weird to me idk.

Nothing against bow hunting, but why are there rifle caliber/energy requirements if you can kill DG with a bow? Just weird to me idk.

You ask a valid question and the answer is that although it is possible, you cannot and should not attempt to hunt dangerous game with a bow unless the equipment & set-up, along with the hunter's proficiency meet certain requirements.

Assuming all of that is in place, you can absolutely ethically and effectively hunt dangerous game with a bow. There are minimum energy & component requirements for bow hunters just as there are for rifle hunters. Failing to meet those requirements is unsafe and unethical where dangerous game and Cape buffalo in particular are concerned.

In theory, you can "kill" a Cape buffalo with a .22, but it would be inefficient, unethical, and ridiculously dangerous to attempt it. Same goes for a bowhunter attempting a buffalo hunt using his whitetail set-up.

This Rig intrigues me and though I was a Bow Hunter way back for a short period of time I don't have what it takes to take on Buff with one now! lol..I have taken many many with Big Bores but Bows and Spears are out for this chap!
I would love to back the hunter with it so I can witness it...Indians did it for Eons..Fred Bear and Howard Hill made it look easy and Elephant too! (Longbows at that!)
*Get a Howard Hill book and read about his amazing feats in Africa! also some video out there of him making amazing shots on Lion etc!
Good Luck with the sale ..Its a sweet deal for some Robin Hood kinda guy
Screenshot_20230411_084626_Chrome.jpg

You ask a valid question and the answer is that although it is possible, you cannot and should not attempt to hunt dangerous game with a bow unless the equipment & set-up, along with the hunter's proficiency meet certain requirements.

Assuming all of that is in place, you can absolutely ethically and effectively hunt dangerous game with a bow. There are minimum energy & component requirements for bow hunters just as there are for rifle hunters. Failing to meet those requirements is unsafe and unethical where dangerous game and Cape buffalo in particular are concerned.

In theory, you can "kill" a Cape buffalo with a .22, but it would be inefficient, unethical, and ridiculously dangerous to attempt it. Same goes for a bowhunter attempting a buffalo hunt using his whitetail set-up.
I understand all that, and I'm not doubting the lethality of bows. Its just funny that guys will argue about having to need all these monster rifles shooting huge bullets with 5,000 plus ft lbs of energy for buffalo when you can shoot them with a bow.

This Rig intrigues me and though I was a Bow Hunter way back for a short period of time I don't have what it takes to take on Buff with one now! lol..I have taken many many with Big Bores but Bows and Spears are out for this chap!
I would love to back the hunter with it so I can witness it...Indians did it for Eons..Fred Bear and Howard Hill made it look easy and Elephant too! (Longbows at that!)
*Get a Howard Hill book and read about his amazing feats in Africa! also some video out there of him making amazing shots on Lion etc!
Good Luck with the sale ..Its a sweet deal for some Robin Hood kinda guy
View attachment 527921

His nephew was doing work on our farm. I’m pretty sure that I’ve had all of his exploits explained in great detail!

I understand all that, and I'm not doubting the lethality of bows. Its just funny that guys will argue about having to need all these monster rifles shooting huge bullets with 5,000 plus ft lbs of energy for buffalo when you can shoot them with a bow.

Well, you can certainly shoot them with a bow, but unless the arrow components and bow set-up are correct, you won't kill one with a bow. However, you will manage to significantly piss him off..!

I should have added that it's exponentially more difficult to kill a Cape buffalo with a bow & arrow than a rifle. In addition to the the equipment being up to the task, the shot placement needs to be near perfect to pull it off. Lots of experienced rifle hunters here who have killed buffalo will attest that only a small handful are killed with single rifle shot, let alone a single arrow.

From my experiences, I would estimate that less than half of all Cape buffalo shot with a bow are killed with a single arrow. And, there is still a significant portion of buffalo that require a rifle follow up shot to finish them. That is the reality that every bowhunter pursuing dangerous game needs to understand and accept before they attempt to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbaraPar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.