Calibers for leopard

It seems that someone killed a tiger with a .22 LR. The bullet entered the eyball, ending in the brain.
Maybe it is a legend, but the smallest of the "Big 5" deserves a larger pill for the eternal sleep.
ofbiro, If i am not wrong,it was with a 22 Hornet,a 22 Hi Power but LR is new to me.Leopards are not hard to Kill,anything from 270 Win and above is enough for them,just to keep two things in mind,one uses the right bullet and one knows where to shoot and shoot very well.Leopards usually come to bait at Dusk,light fading and imaginations going wild,hit him properly,he will fall like a sack of cement,be it with a 270,30-06,etc,etc. Dont hit him well,all i can say is is Leopards dont slink off and die, they do run off,then they wait and not in very nice places and when they come its like having 4 Chainsaws flying together towards the Hunter.30-06,if permitted is enough to do the deed.

Shot mine with a 300WSM and a nosler ballistic tip. You will do fine with a 7REM MAG and up with a good bullet. I like the 6.5 class of rounds for the appropriate sized animals. IMHO I wouldn't use the creedmore on a leopard, serval or Caracal yes.

I don’t know diddly squat, but, my son used his 8X57 with 180gr BT for his leopard and it worked fine. I could be wrong but I think the bullet used is equally if not more important than the caliber. It’s my understanding that you want to use a fast acting bullet. As for caliber I would use anything that is legal.

It seems that someone killed a tiger with a .22 LR. The bullet entered the eyball, ending in the brain.
Maybe it is a legend, but the smallest of the "Big 5" deserves a larger pill for the eternal sleep.
There is a guy in kenya who shot a lion with a 22 LR from his csr window- true story - i saw scans of the newspaper reports. Also saw a vodeo where a guy couldnt wind his window up fast enough and the leopard they were just releasing did some plastic surgery through his open window. I agree with you, let someone else experiment wuth the smallest gun to kill a leopard- i will stick with something larger

This table is intersting.

For example:
Dangerous Game:
(e.g. Elephant; Hippo; Rhino; Buffalo; Lion)
Minimum caliber: .375 (or equivalent caliber in mm)
Energy: 5400 Joul

then they have "recommendation", with caliber and recommended weight for game for that caliber.
For example for 375 HH, maximum recommended weight of game is: 1069 kg SP 2851 Kg FJ
(my guess would be, that 1069 kg is for soft point, 2851 kg for full metal jacket?

SO, 375 hh, not recommended for elephant, and marginal for buffalo?

Based solely on shooting similar sized, light boned animals...

30-'06 with 165 grain Remington Corelokt and a very good scope would be my top choice for leopard. I'll be in TZ next week and will use my 7MM RM for everything except buffalo. That's what the .404J is for.

Last edited:
I've shot all my leopards (so far) with:
- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (300Gr Nosler Partition)
- .300 Holland & Holland Magnum (220Gr Winchester Super X Silver Tip)
- .30-06 Springfield (220Gr Remington Core Lokt)
- 7x57mm Mauser (175Gr Winchester Super X Soft Nose)
- 12 Gauge 3 " Magnum Federal Premium Copper Plated Ten Pellet OOO Buck (during follow up)

I personally would NOT go any lower than 7x57mm Mauser. If your outfitter is recommending that you try tackling a leopard with a 6.5 Creedmoor... Well, then it's time you need a new outfitter.

something accurate, with suitable bullet construction for cats, and especially something with shock power to it.

For the OP, I am supremely confident a well place CM shot from the typical 70 yard or less blind would be more than adequate to kill a Leopard where it stands. Absolutely no doubt - exploded spines dont care if the bullet is 143gr v ~165gr (300, 30-0, etc). That said, in choosing a caliber, I tend to try to arm up for that imperfect shot that may occur in high stress, low light situations.

Whatever you can shoot accurately under lots of pressure.....but 308 ...30-06....and to me the 300 win Mag....bullet ...your choice...but on side shot...no point using a soft point that pretends to be a solid....so to stir the shit...nosler partition if you can get stop yourself loading to hyper velocity if you load your own....Will work from the front as well if he is checking you out....but as I am neanderthal and shit loads of new alphabet bullets are out there ...I lie awake...waiting :A Banana: :E Shrug::D Beers:

Whatever you can shoot accurately under lots of pressure.....but 308 ...30-06....and to me the 300 win Mag....bullet ...your choice...but on side shot...no point using a soft point that pretends to be a solid....so to stir the shit...nosler partition if you can get stop yourself loading to hyper velocity if you load your own....Will work from the front as well if he is checking you out....but as I am neanderthal and shit loads of new alphabet bullets are out there ...I lie awake...waiting :A Banana: :E Shrug::D Beers:
Can’t help but think the original premium bullet, the Nosler Partition, in a somewhat light for caliber weight, would be perfect for leopard.

High velocity for quicker expansion, but with some weight retention to give a pass through shot, seems that is what you’d want.

I have a couple related questions for a friend. And it really is for a friend. He has the opportunity to go leopard hunting but doesn’t want to take a rifle. The outfitter has a 6.5 needmore. My friend asked me what I thought. It sounds a bit light to me but I don’t know much. After all the credmore is like a death ray. The related question is if he does use the 6.5 can he take ammo into JBurg if he doesn’t have a rifle with him. I also think that is a no, but we already discussed what I know. Lol! Thanks for any info you can help me with.
While I have hunted in Africa twice, I haven't shot a leopard. They aren't that big and from what I hear, they aren't that tough. Many have been killed with the .270, .7x57 and similar. Is the 6.5 CM much smaller?
Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything lighter than a .300 Win Mag in case blowing a hole through the cat from one end to the other became necessary, but then I'm a classic "use enough gun" guy.
In the end, it's the PH that has to deal with it if things go sideways. If he says the 6.5 is good enough, it probably is.

I’ve never shot a leopard and don’t have the desire to, but being the Africa geek that I am… .308 with a quicker opening bullet would be my minimum. If it was me: .300 mag, .338 mag, .35 Whelen, 9.3x62 with a Nosler Partition or Hornady.

I have a couple related questions for a friend. And it really is for a friend. He has the opportunity to go leopard hunting but doesn’t want to take a rifle. The outfitter has a 6.5 needmore. My friend asked me what I thought. It sounds a bit light to me but I don’t know much. After all the credmore is like a death ray. The related question is if he does use the 6.5 can he take ammo into JBurg if he doesn’t have a rifle with him. I also think that is a no, but we already discussed what I know. Lol! Thanks for any info you can help me with.
Cannot bring ammo that you don’t have a rifle for…legally

Namibia now allows a maximum of 100 rounds per rifle/caliber per hunter.
But it has to be for a rifle you are bringing in
You can’t just bring ammo by itself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BernardoCh

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with