Calibers for leopard

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a couple related questions for a friend. And it really is for a friend. He has the opportunity to go leopard hunting but doesn’t want to take a rifle. The outfitter has a 6.5 needmore. My friend asked me what I thought. It sounds a bit light to me but I don’t know much. After all the credmore is like a death ray. The related question is if he does use the 6.5 can he take ammo into JBurg if he doesn’t have a rifle with him. I also think that is a no, but we already discussed what I know. Lol! Thanks for any info you can help me with.

I really like the 6.5 Credmoor, but your friend needs to clarify the outfitter's rifle suggestion for leopard. JMHO.

A leopard isn’t a big animal. It doesn’t have thick skin or heavy bone. It would definitely kill it. Legally I don’t know. They are not classed as dangerous game in Namibia. However, what stands out to me in this post isn’t the question asked, it’s the quality of outfitter that only has a 6.5 creedmoor and is offering a leopard hunt? It would be a signal of inexperience to me.

300 win mag, 338 win mag, 9.3x62, 375. I would not dance with leopard with anything less then that.

All is fine, until shot is fired. Than what? Searching the bush with same 6.5?

I have a couple related questions for a friend. And it really is for a friend. He has the opportunity to go leopard hunting but doesn’t want to take a rifle. The outfitter has a 6.5 needmore. My friend asked me what I thought. It sounds a bit light to me but I don’t know much. After all the credmore is like a death ray. The related question is if he does use the 6.5 can he take ammo into JBurg if he doesn’t have a rifle with him. I also think that is a no, but we already discussed what I know. Lol! Thanks for any info you can help me with.
I used a 300 win mag and he came out the tree upside down head first so I like it a lot. But I can also say I am no fan of a 6.5 manbun. Is this hunt in South Africa? I thought they were not being issued tags currently but I could be wrong.

You desribed it perfectly in your opening post..."The outfitter has a 6.5 NEEDMORE"

I would not hunt with someone recommending one of those for leopard.....

I killed mine with a .338 Win Mag. It definitely wasn't too big. :oops:

I would agree - if the only gun an outfitter has to rent is a 6.5, I would look for another avenue. I am sure it will kill a Leopard quickly with a perfect shot and the proper bullet, but why chance it with such a marginal caliber? What gun will you use to shoot bait? Remember, the trophy fee is paid whether you recover the animal or not. Sometimes, even on shot opportunity.

I reloaded for a gal whio went to Africa. She shot a leapard and several head of plains game with her 270 Winchester. Many years ago My Uncles and I used a 300 H&H for everything for which it was legal. Your Idea of the 325 WSM would be a good one as well. I don't believe you could go wrong with that one.

Take a rifle. It isn't that big of a PITA. Especially for an animal where you might get a single good opportunity in weeks of hunting. I would use something that I absolutely TRUST, points well, feeds well, is absolutely true once sighted in, and could dispatch a leopard in a nasty spot should the very rare need arise. Something along the lines of a .300 Win with Accubonds, A-frames, or possibly TSX. No wildcats, no ultra-high velocity rounds, no super-hot, maxed out handloads. Shoot the same rifle for zebra, pig, and whatever else you're going to use for bait.

I'd fell very much more comfortable with a .308 Win than a 6.5 Creedmore in a leopard blind.

6.5 is capable of killing a leopard.... heck with solids it is capable of killing an elephant. Is it a good idea- i dont think so.308 or 30-06 doesnt kick much more but makes a bigger hole. 300 win mag up is higher velocity and shocks the cats more highly developed nervous system. Basically, there are better options.

It seems that someone killed a tiger with a .22 LR. The bullet entered the eyball, ending in the brain.
Maybe it is a legend, but the smallest of the "Big 5" deserves a larger pill for the eternal sleep.

First some legal requirements, e.g. Namibia:

As per the Nature Conservation Ordinance No 4 of 1975:

No person shall use a revolver, pistol or automatic firearm when hunting game or use a firearm of which the bullet has an energy at the muzzle of the barrel which is lower than the following when hunting a species of game indicated there under:

Small Game:
(e.g. Dik-Dik; Steenbok; Duiker; Springbok)
Minimum caliber: .243 (or equivalent caliber in mm)
Energy: 1350 Joule

Medium Game:
(e.g. Hartebeest; Oryx; Wildebeest; Kudu; Eland and all exotic species)
Minimum caliber: .270 (or equivalent caliber in mm
Energy: 2700 Joule

Dangerous Game:
(e.g. Elephant; Hippo; Rhino; Buffalo; Lion)
Minimum caliber: .375 (or equivalent caliber in mm)
Energy: 5400 Joule

No solids are allowed as per the Nature Conservation Ordinance No 4 of 1975 on any other species than pachyderms (Elephant, Hippo, Rhino).

Hunters visiting Namibia may import 60 cartridges per caliber.

-------------

This means in Namibia anything less than .270"/7mm is not legal on medium game (including Leopard).
And the legal requirements are only the absolute minimum, an experienced PH would recommend other calibers for a trophy hunter with limited days for the hunt.

In other African countries the Leopard is listed as dangerous game with a legal minimum of .375" or 9,3mm or >5200J etc...

If you´re hunting Leopard, a 7x57 will kill it IF (!) the first shot is placed correctly.
If not, searching a wounded Leopard will normally end in an attack of the cat, which is no fun at all.

So the next thing you have to consider: how precise is your rife?
And: which scope do you use?
As the hunt often takes place when it´s already dark you need to rely on the best optics you can buy for money. Swarovski or high-end Zeiss - if you have a scope assembled in China with poor glass...

If you want to hunt a Leopard you either know you receive the best rifle/scope from your PH (who considers also hunting laws) or you bring your own rifle with you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.30 AM.png
    901.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.33 AM.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.34 AM.png
    640.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.35 AM.png
    540 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.36 AM.png
    583.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.37 AM.png
    564.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.38 AM.png
    596.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.39 AM.png
    587.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.35.40 AM.png
    515.7 KB · Views: 71
I used a 300 win mag on my leopard. Preformed very well. Cat was dead under the bait tree.

Shooting the cat with a 6.5CM wouldn't concern me near as much as it being the only rifle the outfitter had to offer a client. Not having more, or better, options would be a massive red flag.

Also, you can't just import ammo, you have to have a rifle that matches the chambering of the ammo you are bringing.

Maverick: "I'm gonna hunt a leopard with a 6.5 Creedmoor rental gun".

Goose: "You're gonna WHAT"???

I shot my leopard with a 375H&H way back in 1988, I made a less than ideal shot using 'solids', yes, solids, that was before the internet, it was my first hunt, the outfitter said to bring solids so that is what I did. I shot my leopard, left my gun in the blind as it was strung up with twine, walked up with the guide to my leopard, 7 steps from my leopard it jumped us 2 times. Thankfully, my guide had a shotgun and finished it, but never ever would I take a light caliber gun to hunt leopard. Shooting conditions are generally poor when taking the shot, so go big on a leopard even thought in perfect situations a 6.5 would kill it.

NO, you cannot take ammo alone into Africa, it must accompany a gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BernardoCh

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with