Buying A Used Heym Double Rifle - Any Advice?

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
OK I've decided to buy a used Heym double rifle but now realize I know nothing about them other than they seem to have a good reputation and are recommended by many users on this forum. I see from the Heym website that the 88B models have been around for over 35 years (the 1980"s) and the more recent model is the 89B.

Do all of the 88B models have the same features, are the early models the same as the current models, are they all equal, should I be concerned about buying a 1980's gun compared to a 2010 gun? Are there any specifics that should be avoided?

I'm getting the feeling that I am going to have to be a little more open to different calibers as there are not many used guns being offered for sale at the moment. I see that the 450/400 3" NE and the .450 3-1/4" NE both come on the same frame sizes of PH/Safari but a .470 NE is offered on the PH/Safari and the Large frame. Which frame size works best for a .470?

I'm looking to get some double experience under my belt, if I like it I may consider placing an order for a new one at some point and getting exactly what I want and to get it fitted. I don't have the patience or the knowledge to know what I like at the moment and I'm not waiting several years for my first large double rifle.

I look forward to those that have a lot more knowledge sharing a little bit of their expertise with me. If you have a used Heym in 450/400 3" NE, .450 3-1/4" NE or .470 NE you are thinking of selling feel free to PM me.

As far as I know, the difference between 88B and 89B are cosmetic with the 89B emulating the British lines of the stock. I have a pair of 88Bs and have been very happy with them.

As far as I know, the difference between 88B and 89B are cosmetic with the 89B emulating the British lines of the stock. I have a pair of 88Bs and have been very happy with them.
I'm sure it will be an 88B that I will end up buying as it seems they are much more available due to the number of guns sold compared with the newer 89B. If I was ordering a new one I would go with an 88B. Thanks for your comment.

I’ve never heard of any particular problems with any of the Heym doubles. Mine is an 88B sidelock, the sidelock were discontinued at some point and seem rare enough that the auction house incorrectly assumed it was a sideplated boxlock. As long as the stock dimensions are right for you any Heym double in good condition should be a pretty safe bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LatoshaTri