Budget double rifles

The Baikal in 9.3x74R is an O/U. The 45-70 is a SxS. I'm not sure about current availablity or models as they haven't been imported (sanctions) to my country for several years.

Believe me, Kevin.

It’s much more sensible to arm yourself with a reasonably priced reliable quality bolt action than with a “Budget” double. “Budget” and ”Good quality double rifle” are 2 words that don’t mix well. This rule applies even more so, considering that the buyer will potentially be using the double rifle against dangerous game. The fact that they are white hunters who must rely on their rifles for earning their daily bread and stop dangerous game charges for a living, only highlights my point further.

My way of thinking is this: New white hunter (on a limited budget) starts his career with an affordable but reliable bolt action rifle. After saving up, he graduates to a good quality double rifle (unless if he explicitly prefers bolt actions through and through). Now, if you’re lucky… sometimes you can come across good bargains on the secondhand market. But luck here plays a very important part.

Back when I first started hunting in Africa during the mid 1970s, you could find good quality secondhand double rifles (mostly English and a few Belgian) on the “Used” racks of quite a few African gun stores. Which were selling incredibly cheap, because no factory loaded ammunition was available for them at the time (I.C.I Kynoch was the only manufacturer of double rifle cartridges during this time, and they had already ceased manufacture in 1969 before closing down their factory in 1972). The lucky guys are the ones who bought them in that era.

False economy is a very poor factor in selecting a big bore double rifle.
ED44159D-6B1E-4675-88D9-6B951F9FB8CA.jpeg

You see the double rifle in this photo? That‘s a .458 Winchester Magnum boxlock ejector made by some obscure Belgium based gunmaker. It was very poorly regulated and the ejectors kept giving us endless problems by overriding the cartridge heads.

That said, Merkel makes decent double rifles for fair prices. Just have a competent gunsmith inspect the triggers and sears beforehand. These things have a nasty reputation for double discharges. I’ve personally seen it happen on a .500 Nitro Express in Botswana.

Believe me, Kevin.

It’s much more sensible to arm yourself with a reasonably priced reliable quality bolt action than with a “Budget” double. “Budget” and ”Good quality double rifle” are 2 words that don’t mix well. This rule applies even more so, considering that the buyer will potentially be using the double rifle against dangerous game. The fact that they are white hunters who must rely on their rifles for earning their daily bread and stop dangerous game charges for a living, only highlights my point further.

My way of thinking is this: New white hunter (on a limited budget) starts his career with an affordable but reliable bolt action rifle. After saving up, he graduates to a good quality double rifle (unless if he explicitly prefers bolt actions through and through). Now, if you’re lucky… sometimes you can come across good bargains on the secondhand market. But luck here plays a very important part.

Back when I first started hunting in Africa during the mid 1970s, you could find good quality secondhand double rifles (mostly English and a few Belgian) on the “Used” racks of quite a few African gun stores. Which were selling incredibly cheap, because no factory loaded ammunition was available for them at the time (I.C.I Kynoch was the only manufacturer of double rifle cartridges during this time, and they had already ceased manufacture in 1969 before closing down their factory in 1972). The lucky guys are the ones who bought them in that era.

False economy is a very poor factor in selecting a big bore double rifle.
View attachment 520255
You see the double rifle in this photo? That‘s a .458 Winchester Magnum boxlock ejector made by some obscure Belgium based gunmaker. It was very poorly regulated and the ejectors kept giving us endless problems by overriding the cartridge heads.

That said, Merkel makes decent double rifles for fair prices. Just have a competent gunsmith inspect the triggers and sears beforehand. These things have a nasty reputation for double discharges. I’ve personally seen it happen on a .500 Nitro Express in Botswana.
Yes HH I agree with all your points. The thing is to find that entry level double that ticks all the boxes - reliability, safety. I too like the Merkel because of the third locking system. At this stage I am gathering feedback so I can give a more objective answer to those who ask me.
So guys and girls, give your valued feedback so that we can reach some consesnus on what the sweet spot may be.

Kevin -

My advice would be to not buy a cheap double rifle to hunt DG.

If someone can find a great deal on a used one, that is a different story. Unfortunately, DRs with problems end up in this category.

If the buyer can have it tested by a competent gunsmith after a refundable deposit, no problem.

If not, they need to avoid it.

A good quality bolt action is much better tool than a questionable DR.

My take in this is to suggest a Krieghoff Big Five if DG is the goal or a double in 9,3x74R for PG, a Chapuis, VC, Gaucher....all these are reasonably priced. Personally I dont like Merkels..

Also..there are bargains on old british doubles out there...all are not worn out..

That said, a good sorted bolt rifle is much better/safer than a questionable double..

There are good buys out there you just have to look. I even know one gentleman that recently bought a good shooting, ejector British double for about what you would pay for a used Sabatti.
This one was sitting in the back room of a gun dealers shop, some guys have all of the luck.

There are good buys out there you just have to look. I even know one gentleman that recently bought a good shooting, ejector British double for about what you would pay for a used Sabatti.
This one was sitting in the back room of a gun dealers shop, some guys have all of the luck.
Luck and the CASH for that moment!!

Those ridculous deals always come up when CASH is not available.

Luck and the CASH for that moment!!

Those ridculous deals always come up when CASH is not available.

Yes, do the research first to determine what guns will meet your requirements, save enough money, and be ready to make a deal as soon as it comes available.

Further, one must work to find the deals. Sometimes one gets lucky but usually by continually hunting for their desired gun. Do the work!

If you are lucky and/or a good negotiator maybe a Rizzini

A friend of mine owns a 9,3x74 and its a great rifle

I had a look at the 470 on their stand at sci ...first time i had ever seen and handled one of their doubles...had a couple of their 20 bore o/u few years back and they were good....the 470 was a nice rifle ....liked it

There are a few bargains out there. A FEW! Mostly "unknown" older British or German guns. Make sure you can at least have a few days to look them over well before you actually decide if it's the one for you.
Ya just gotta to a lot of looking.

I had a look at the 470 on their stand at sci ...first time i had ever seen and handled one of their doubles...had a couple of their 20 bore o/u few years back and they were good....the 470 was a nice rifle ....liked it
What sort of ballpark price are they Spike?

What sort of ballpark price are they Spike?
Kevin honestly can't remember looked at too many guns :X3: :E Big Grin: ...but think was in the high usd 9000 range or possibly just into 10 thousand range.....there was a nice light chapuis double in 375 h&h that was seriously reasonable I thought. @Tom Leoni can give you the price..if I was into the 375 I would definitely consider one ...smaller action so very trim and well balanced....

Kevin I see you mentioned a chapuis...think the one I mentioned could be it...but as i said having handled it I was very impressed ,and so was a friend of mine a pH outfitter in SA who also really liked it

Kevin I see you mentioned a chapuis...think the one I mentioned could be it...but as i said having handled it I was very impressed ,and so was a friend of mine a pH outfitter in SA who also really liked it
That is the Chapuis Iphisi Spike, I am liking the idea a lot. The importer in Jhb is Kalahari Arms, I asked them about it, they didn't even know it existed. So then I brought them up to speed and they were going to come back to me - six weeks ago and not a peep since. @Tom Leoni please if you have any sway over this Jhb crowd please get them to wake up.

I have a 470 Rizzini double. I like their shot guns and snagged the rifle when it became available. It is accurate, priced right and I have never had an issue with Riz on quality, customer service or reliability. No clue how it holds up long term but its a ball to shoot and priced well.

I know the question was about affordable new doubles, I'd point out that there are a lot of nice used ones (Better ones) that come up a lot.

1.) Ferlachs. Great weapons. Well made Austrian designs. A used one can be had for that ~$10k price and is a very fine gun.

2.) Indian retailed Birmingham guns. Whether they say Manton or Lyon & Lyon on the rib, they surely are WC Scott guns from Birmingham. A nice extractor gun can be had affordably.

3.) Army Navy Cooperative Society Limited. Recently a guy picked up a private label Westley Richards for little more than $10k.

Those choices are way better than a Zoli, or a Sabattie, or a Merkel, or even a used Krieghoff. Much easier to repair than a used Searcy at that price point as well.

I may be an odd bird, but my interest in doubles is 100% about functionality and 0% artistry. I care deeply about an individual gun's history but nothing about the history of the gun maker.

I say this to say, I'd be fine with a reliable double made overnight in a fine tolerance CNC machine and thrown together in the morning by a minimum waged student working his way through college, as long as it was functional.

I don't know why some entrepreneur hasn't picked up on this market potential?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?