Bob Nelson I sold my .243!

It is a very big cartridge for Fallow but there is a few reason's l want to take it...

1. l LOVE this rifle as it was custom built for me (y)

2. It has a synthetic stock/ cerakoted so don't have to worry if it's rainy

3. Rifle is pretty light - good for when there's lots of walking...

4. Shoots pretty flat for the size of the projectile. Sighted 3" high at 50m it only drops 14.5" at 300m

5. Told Cameron (owner of Atomic 29) that l'd try them out on deer for him

6. l haven't shot anything with this rifle yet!

So there you go, 6 reasons why l'm taking my 425 Express... even though a properly loaded .243 would probably drop them just as quick... :ROFLMAO:

A story about fallow

Let my son Craig use my Browning 270 (now owned by son).
130 grain Nosler bullet I think.
Fallow ran away from us and Craig shot it. Dropped instantly.
Cutting up bit -
Couldn’t work out where he shot the deer except that it had a broken neck.
Eventually worked it out!!
The bullet went through the anus right through the middle and came out and broke the young spiker’s neck.
It was so cold that as I was skinning the fat flowed over the blade and froze.
I had to continually pour warm water over the blade so I could cut.

I haven't seen @Bob Nelson 35Whelen on here for a while...?
I'll give him a call to make sure he's ok (y)
He's probably just out hunting... half his luck.

Bob is a larger than life fella with his strong opinions and like and dislikes - and I'm sure they are based on first hand experiences and what he's seen over the years...

Now personally, I'm not a big fan or the .25 calibers - but I am a big fan of the .270 calibers.
This isn't to flame Bob - he's a mate, this mainly stems from the fact that I live in Victoria and Sambar deer is my main quarry.
And the .270 Win with a 130gn projectile is the minimum cartridge allowed.

Now, l have personally owned a .25, it was a Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Wby Mag.
It was a nice rifle and l worked up a load consisting of the 100gn Nosler Partition with a shovel load of 2217 for a little over 3500fps. Now, I'm sure this would've killed a Sambar - but it wasn't legal so l sold it.

I have also owned a couple of .270's, which Bob isn't a fan of.
They were a Parker Hale 1200 Super in .270 Win and a Winchester M70 Stainless Classic in .270WSM.
With the .270 Win l had a handload that pushed out a 130gn (can't remember what brand - but nothing fancy) projectile at 3050fps, but never collected any game with it so can't comment on it's effectiveness - but l did use the 270 WSM on some big Sambar and it was awesome.
My favorite load in the 270WSM was the Winchester factory loaded 150gn PowerPoint stuff and it chronographed at spot on 3100fps in my 24" model 70.
I shot my biggest stag with it and it was a one shot kill (shoulder shot) and I also shot a big doe with it at well over 300mtrs - which is a loooong shot for me. That was a one shot kill too.
So big, big fan of the 270 WSM and l'd own one again in a heartbeat.

The same goes for the .243... Bob hate's it and l like it.
I also know people that have shot hundreds - not dozens of Fallow with it and they love it too.
I am really looking forward to personally trying it out myself on Fallow and you never know, if it lets me down l might end up hating it too... I'll join Bob's team!
We shall see...

I think it's great that we have so many different cartridges available - even if some overlap and essentially do the same thing...
I mean we need SOMETHING to talk about around the campfire!
And a bit of stirring is always fun - as long as it's light-hearted and not personal.

So long live the .243!
And the 6.5 Creedmore!
And the .458 Win Mag! (Which really does work - and if you don't think that, you're in denial...)

So lets just get out there and shoot straight, hunt ethically and have fun.

Russ
I shall respect your opinion, provided that: you consider VB to be only good for drowning flies!:ROFLMAO:

It is a very big cartridge for Fallow but there is a few reason's l want to take it...

4. Shoots pretty flat for the size of the projectile. Sighted 3" high at 50m it only drops 14.5" at 300m

So there you go, 6 reasons why l'm taking my 425 Express... even though a properly loaded .243 would probably drop them just as quick... :ROFLMAO:
@Badboymelvin
You forgot another reason Russ.
Recoil isn't to bad for the size. Comfortable to shoot without the big recoil boot. Very pleasant.
Bob

Bob is probably having a fit because Russ moved forward with the .243.
Maybe he is reading all of this so he can roast the lot of us all at once.
As Victoria has a .270 minimum calibre requirement for hunting Fallow and the Mexicans like to put them on their a$$ drt because they live in the thick stuff it gives some credit to Bob's idea of the .35 in what is effectively a .270 case

Or you could always use a .458wm of course.
@CBH Australia
Chris I have shot sambar we it a 270, 303 and 444 marlin. Unfortunately not the Whelen yet.
The 303 with 174 gn Hornady worked well. The 270 ( before it became a Whelen) loaded with 130gr ACPs at around 3,120fps was bang flop and the 444 was to much gun.
I would happily shoot one with a 25-06 or similar fast 24 loaded with 120gr A Frame or a 100gn TTSX if it was legal and have no issues doing it.
Bob

@CBH Australia
Chris I have shot sambar we it a 270, 303 and 444 marlin. Unfortunately not the Whelen yet.
The 303 with 174 gn Hornady worked well. The 270 ( before it became a Whelen) loaded with 130gr ACPs at around 3,120fps was bang flop and the 444 was to much gun.
I would happily shoot one with a 25-06 or similar fast 24 loaded with 120gr A Frame or a 100gn TTSX if it was legal and have no issues doing it.
Bob

Typo in my post .

I should have written Sambar deer in reference to the minimum calibre requirement.

While Bob is obsessed with 25-35 the minimum calibre requirement to hunt Sambar in Victoria is .270 diameter and due to the scrub many like a cartridge of .35Whelen or bigger. See fixed it for ya Bob.

I'm note sure about Red deer requirements.

I think NSW has recomendations not minimum legal requirements. I think Sambar will encroach into NSW if they haven't already.

Typo in my post .

I should have written Sambar deer in reference to the minimum calibre requirement.

While Bob is obsessed with 25-35 the minimum calibre requirement to hunt Sambar in Victoria is .270 diameter and due to the scrub many like a cartridge of .35Whelen or bigger. See fixed it for ya Bob.

I'm note sure about Red deer requirements.

I think NSW has recomendations not minimum legal requirements. I think Sambar will encroach into NSW if they haven't already.
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen will be ready for them with his heavy rifles mounted on a trailer, red filter searchlight and all:A Stirring:!

BadBoy, we might need to “define flat shooting” because a 14” drop at 300meters “Ain’t Flat”.....I have sling shots that can do that. Obviously the trade off between Flat and Power is worth it, plus your 425 Express margin for error is greater ——you can be off a few inches (or meters!) and still drop your trophy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BookerReno

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles