Bob Nelson I sold my .243!

after being told by my gun doctor i may not survive, even after rehab. i left rehab and self medicated, picking up several 35 whelen pills. i realy feel better after taking all three to the range. ruger #1-custom 98-remington 700.

View attachment 528500View attachment 528501View attachment 528502
@leslie hetrick
Glad to see you have cured your woes. The good old Whelen does wonders to cure your woes of the miserable little 243.
Keep taking your 35 pills mate and you will never be afflicted with cartridge woes again.
It's surprising what the 35 will cure.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen the .243 is gone. I know your opinion but it was a good rifle for us. I initially bought it as a coyote rifle that my wife could use for deer when/if she decided to start hunting. She finally did start deer hunting in 2017 and for 3 seasons in a row she shot her whitetails with it like she’d been doing it all her life. Then in 2020 she decided to use my 7mm RM for her first mule deer hunt. She got her mulie with it as well as her next 3 whitetails and now says the 7 mag is her gun and I can have my .243 back! For myself, I’m the biggest .308 fan there is and also have loved the 7 mag since I bought one in my 20s. So naturally I’ve been obsessed now for a few years with the idea that a 7mm-08 would be the best of both worlds. Her claiming one of my two main hunting rifles finally pushed me to get one but that meant another gun must go and the .243 was the one. So a couple weeks ago I ordered a Browning X-Bolt Hunter that should be arriving any day now. I’m excited to try a new for me calibre even though the .243 served well.
I've noticed that once someone out grows the .243 they never look back. I have never owned one but several of my friends started with .243s before they graduated to bigger bores. I think you'll be pleased with the 7-08. I do have one of those and find it to be a great little deer round. It's every bit the equal of the 7x57 / .275 Rigby, and you know that has been used on everything. Bob will be impressed with your choice to graduate, and so am I!

Doug

The 243 is fine if used for the appropriate level of game. I think the problem is that hunters expect the 243 to be able to do the job of more powerful cartridges

The 243 is fine if used for the appropriate level of game. I think the problem is that hunters expect the 243 to be able to do the job of more powerful cartridges
@Dr Ray
Screenshot_20230112-203236_Messenger.jpg

Not even good enough for am enraged field mouse.
Bob

The 7-08 came home today…pretty excited! Haven’t got a scope on it yet so won’t bother shooting it until I do.
363E6002-D641-4EF6-85DC-E36DE191EE6F.jpeg

The Browning pair. I expect that I’ll do 85% of my future hunting with this duo. If the X-Bolt treats me half as good as the BLR I’ll be a happy hunter!
BE809E5A-70B5-4D05-B99E-99EBBA416EEF.jpeg

you have taken a step in the right direction in getting a 7mm08, but don,t stop now. take a few more steps and you will be in .358 heaven. my 7mm08 does a good job on smaller game.

DSCN1259 (3).JPG
DSCN9632 (3).JPG
DSCN0019.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
you have taken a step in the right direction in getting a 7mm08, but don,t stop now. take a few more steps and you will be in .358 heaven. my 7mm08 does a good job on smaller game.

View attachment 530402View attachment 530403View attachment 530404
@leslie hetrick
The 358 is an under appreciated and under loved cartridge unfortunately but it punches well above its weight. Using Paco Kelly's loads turns it into a real beast that gives Remington factory loaded 35 Whelen loads a shake up.
Bob

@leslie hetrick
The 358 is an under appreciated and under loved cartridge unfortunately but it punches well above its weight. Using Paco Kelly's loads turns it into a real beast that gives Remington factory loaded 35 Whelen loads a shake up.
Bob
My goodness all somebody has to do now is beck down a .375 H&H or RUM to .35....
We could call it the .35 BNW for Bundy Nelson Whelen! :A Tease:
Tip of the cap for the mention of Paco Kelly!

My goodness all somebody has to do now is beck down a .375 H&H or RUM to .35....
One .35 wildcat for Bob at a time Forrest! He's still scrounging around for 7.7 Jap brass for his proprietary .35BNE (Banzai Nelson Express). Maybe he'll have a rifle set up for it come this hunting season?

@Forrest Halley
You is still a funny boy.
Bob

@colorado
No I would only neck it up to 25 cal instead of the H&H 248. Most people think it 243 cal but in reality it's actually .248.
Bob
Thanks be to God! A .248! It's a 6.1mm! Why change anything? I bet that 0.1mm really makes a big difference! After all .013 inches is night and day...
Of course Bob's been trying to convince the ladies of this theory for quite some time!:A Tease:
-Cheeky Bugger...out! :A Outta:

Bob: converting the world one .243 at a time. Maybe he should come up with a .243 buy-back program. Maybe offer cash off a .35 Whelen purchase? Just spit-balling here...
It’s not a bad idea. Drive the price of 243’s down. I’d buy a few more. It’s a great cartridge. Anything one could sensibly do with a .257 bullet, one can do with a .243, with the caveat of the right bullet.

Too many 243 big game horror stories are a result of the wrong bullet choice. That’s on the hunter, not the cartridge. One can make the same mistake with a .257 bullet as there are quite a few varmint bullets available for it too.

But instead of those ballistically inferior .358 bullets, could my cash off discount apply to a .338-06?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fgrttuyty673

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]