Bob Nelson 35 Whelen

F. Vaccaro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Bob, can I join your 35 Whelen club??? I have one in everything but name.
I need to reduce recoil for my poor shoulder so I went to my loading bench & loaded some 260gr Nosler Partrition .375 bullets to .35 Whelen levels in my .375 H&H Mag. I’m going to try them tomorrow, it’s elk season here.
Can I join even as an add on?
Please!:giggle:

I need to reduce recoil for my poor shoulder so I went to my loading bench & loaded some 260gr Nosler Partrition .375 bullets to .35 Whelen levels in my .375 H&H Mag. I’m going to try them tomorrow, it’s elk season here.
@F. Vaccaro
Mate you can join as an honorary member but use a nice accubond or Woodleigh in a similar weight, you'll be happier and they are cheaper
Bob

Thanks Bob mine is a nice old Ruger #1 375 H&H. We’ve been on a lot of hunts together & is showing her age. I don’t want to hang her up & I’ve been following your & other’s thoughts & experience with the Whelen. Also a hunting buddy here praises the .35 Whelen. I’m going to load down a bit & join you. More hunts with an old friend.

Bob cant fool us.. we all know what he's really thinking....

IMG_0182.JPG

:D :D :D

Thanks Bob mine is a nice old Ruger #1 375 H&H. We’ve been on a lot of hunts together & is showing her age. I don’t want to hang her up & I’ve been following your & other’s thoughts & experience with the Whelen. Also a hunting buddy here praises the .35 Whelen. I’m going to load down a bit & join you. More hunts with an old friend.
@F. Vaccaro
I'm a bit like your old Ruger No1.
I'm showing my age and slowing down but still like going hunting.
Bob

Bob, I will be christening my .35 Whelen Ruger 77(red buttpad) in Africa in August 2024, God willing. Since I am not a reloader I am limited to factory offerings but have settled on a 200 grain Barnes TSX Premium Super Charged loading by Buffalo Bore. While it might be a bit light by your standards(LOL) I suspect If I do my part none of the plains game I hope to encounter will know what hit them!

My wife took her eland with a 35 Whalen shooting 200gr accubond at a moderate speed…

You won’t have any troubles taking any PG with a 200gr Barnes loaded to buffalo bore speeds… they 35 Whalen will serve you well…

Bob, I will be christening my .35 Whelen Ruger 77(red buttpad) in Africa in August 2024, God willing. Since I am not a reloader I am limited to factory offerings but have settled on a 200 grain Barnes TSX Premium Super Charged loading by Buffalo Bore. While it might be a bit light by your standards(LOL) I suspect If I do my part none of the plains game I hope to encounter will know what hit them!
@cms62236
Not to light by my standards. A 200gr TSX or TTSX will do everything a bonded 225 will then some.
Go shoot game and let us know how you go.
If they are doing 2,900fps sight in 3 inches high at 100 and you should be about spot on at 225 yards and hold dead centre out to 300.
Bob

Buffalo Bore brews up some mighty nice 35 Whelen loads. I have several boxes of old Buffalo Barnes ammo sitting on my shelf, right next to the stuff I load myself. My 35 Whelen acquitted itself very admirably on both of my African hunts. BTW I chose the 225 Gr. version of the TSX travelling at 2730 FPS.

NO, you'll just be enabling him and we'll never hear the end of it. LOL

Shot it today. Resting off the hood (bonnet?) of a friends truck. 1st shot centered a 8” rock at a ranged 73.6yds. Mind you this is the 1st shot with my load, I hadn’t zeroed it since using regular .375 loads. It was a white rock & part of it was gone when my bullet hit. My load a mild 66grs of IMR4064 & The 260gr Nosler partition. Recoil wasn’t bad, I think I’m on the right track. Got to finalize a zero, but looking good so far.
Didn’t see an elk or deer,

Shot it today. Resting off the hood (bonnet?) of a friends truck. 1st shot centered a 8” rock at a ranged 73.6yds. Mind you this is the 1st shot with my load, I hadn’t zeroed it since using regular .375 loads. It was a white rock & part of it was gone when my bullet hit. My load a mild 66grs of IMR4064 & The 260gr Nosler partition. Recoil wasn’t bad, I think I’m on the right track. Got to finalize a zero, but looking good so far.
Didn’t see an elk or deer,
@F. Vaccaro
A mate picked up my 25 one day and sighted on a rock at a lasered 300 yards. He asked where to hold on a 6 inch rock. I told him dead centre. He sat down rested his forearms on his knees and touched it off. He was amazed no more rock.
Bob

That's one of the reasons I like the 375 H&H so much. It can be loaded accurately to modern 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen performance.
Components are generally more available and the 235, 250, 260 and 270 grain bullets from Barnes, Nosler and Swift are excellent.
250 at 2600 is not only more pleasant to shoot in a 375 - it hammers big game!

Bush Buck

I found out the the 235gr Speer is a hot core bullet. I’m calling Speer Monday & ask if they recommend that bullet for Elk. Being a hot core, it may be suitable. Speers description of a hot core is pouring molten lead alloy into a jacket.
That should be a bonded bullet. I’ve shot them for fun & my .375 likes them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauMcclos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.