Bob Nelson 35 Whelen

Speers description of a hot core is pouring molten lead alloy into a jacket.
That should be a bonded bullet.
unfortunately, i think not. bonded bullets are chemically bonded to the jacket. i suspect, merely pouring in hot lead will not give you a bond like a wood leigh or swift.

I shot a bunch of the 235 Speer bullets when I was learning to handle 375 H&H. It is a great practice bullet.
I recall a member saying that he loads them to 2600 and they work perfectly on deer.
That doesn't really sound like an elk bullet to me - though I'm sure it would work if you could arrange to tuck one behind an elk shoulder.

On the other hand I have had great success with the Barnes 250 TTSX on big game up to Eland. This would undoubtedly be my choice for elk.

Hello people! I made this post to give BOB credit on his preferred caliber. According to what we tried with a friend here, 35 whelen is very effective with vizcachas!!! ha ha ha
BOB.... LOOK AT THIS!!!
Now try shooting them with a .243 WINCHESTER? LOL

Now try shooting them with a .243 WINCHESTER? LOL
I shot this citters with everithing i.can jaja
Pcp and 22 lr are the most used and inexpensive shots but the 30 calibers with a subsonic load are great to beat them
I only makes a joke to bob

Bob, can I join your 35 Whelen club??? I have one in everything but name.
I need to reduce recoil for my poor shoulder so I went to my loading bench & loaded some 260gr Nosler Partrition .375 bullets to .35 Whelen levels in my .375 H&H Mag. I’m going to try them tomorrow, it’s elk season here.
Can I join even as an add on?
Please!:giggle:
Forget about the .35 Whelen and get a .338WM, it will do everything the Whelen will do and then some!

Sorry Bob, couldn't help myself!! :p :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I found out the the 235gr Speer is a hot core bullet. I’m calling Speer Monday & ask if they recommend that bullet for Elk. Being a hot core, it may be suitable. Speers description of a hot core is pouring molten lead alloy into a jacket.
That should be a bonded bullet. I’ve shot them for fun & my .375 likes them

Monday I’m going to call Speer & ask specifically if I should use that bullet for Elk. I will post their answer.
I use the 235 gr Speer 375 a lot, it is an affordable bullet in Aust, does a job on pigs & red deer but for those animals its a bit excessive but a lot of fun.

unfortunately, i think not. bonded bullets are chemically bonded to the jacket. i suspect, merely pouring in hot lead will not give you a bond like a wood leigh or swift.
True but the Hot-Cor is a pretty good bullet. I have seen them hold together and out perform much more expensive and even "bonded" bullets.

Update!
Speer called me back & the rep. told me that molten lead adheres to the jacket very well & performs very well, but they cannot call it a bonded bullet. I asked specifically if the 235gr bullet at 2500fps in the .375 H&H Mag. was suitable for Elk, he said oh yes at that velocity it will perform Well out to 300yds. I asked even for shoulder shots, he said oh yes.
He was not trying to sell me bullets as I’d told him I use & like that bullet & more importantly, my rifle likes it. So my old shoulders are going to get a break & a favored rifle is going to get more use. I’m going to try near 2600fps, that’s just above starting loads in the .375.
Hope some are interested in my findings.
Frank.

Bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, no sense in not going with a premium bullet (Partition, A-Frame, Woodleigh, etc)

This is posted over and over again, I mostly agree. But there are situations where a soft bullet makes more sense than a partitioned bullet or a solid.

Bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, no sense in not going with a premium bullet (Partition, A-Frame, Woodleigh, etc)

This is posted over and over again, I mostly agree. But there are situations where a soft bullet makes more sense than a partitioned bullet or a solid.

Agreed on both counts, and I'm one who will often say the ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt.
Some of the old school stuff still works as it did for years and sometimes it's the appropriate choice.
Either way it's still the cheapest part.
I often remind my brother of this because he looks at the cost and I look at the results.

Ok, I'm not going to start a mud throwing match but,,, the old cup & core bullets are VERY good used within their velocity design limits. I've used them for years in the .30-06, 7X57, .308, & .375H&H mag. With fantastic results.
The Hot Core seems to be one on steroids, according to Speer themselves.

Ok, I'm not going to start a mud throwing match but,,, the old cup & core bullets are VERY good used within their velocity design limits. I've used them for years in the .30-06, 7X57, .308, & .375H&H mag. With fantastic results.
The Hot Core seems to be one on steroids, according to Speer themselves.
REMINGTON CORE LOKT! 150gr. .270 WINCHESTER, 165gr. .308 WINCHESTER, 180gr. .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM, 225gr. .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM, 750gr. .50 BMG, etc.

I admit I’m a Barnes acolyte these days… but I certainly used A LOT of Remington core lokt in years past and was always successful with it… for typical NA game I wouldn’t be bothered in the slightest if all I could ever use in the future was core lokt..

Truth be told… if the only thing I could access was core lokt and I was hunting PG in Africa I wouldn’t be bothered at all as long as the caliber and bullet weight selected was up to the task…

I believe Barnes is better in most situations…

But that by no means implies that core lokt is bad…

Forget about the .35 Whelen and get a .338WM, it will do everything the Whelen will do and then some!

Sorry Bob, couldn't help myself!! :p :ROFLMAO:
@Deepfork
I thinks you have got it the wrong way around mate. They're both good rounds but the Whelen is just more goodera.
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

@colorado
Mostly agree but after seeing the performance of the old plain Jane Hornady 250gn round nose on oryx I would gladly use it on most PG. The same applies to the 250gr speer hotcore. If they are good enough for game upto elk and moose I see no reason they wouldn't do the same on similar size game in Africa.
Bob

I chronographed my load today with the 235gr Speer. The velocity is 2621fps with an extreme spread of 12fps. It’s below max & easier on the shoulder. I still have until the 26th for elk & deer. No snow, so it’ll be a little tougher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meiyejiujie262

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?