Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

I sure did

got to regulate those next week

I will stick the rifle on my hydro sled to do it, and regulate for 30m

I also have an RD20 red dot which I’ll zero too at the same distance
Congratulations on the new barrel and I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Not sure I would subject such a high recoiling rifle to a sled. Why not do it off sticks?

Congratulations on the new barrel and I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Not sure I would subject such a high recoiling rifle to a sled. Why not do it off sticks?
Just use the sled with no weights in it. The weight of the rest itself will take away some of the recoil without too much stress on the rifle. I've done this with a 416, and it works fine.

Hmmm

that might be a sensible thing to do

pics tomorrow morning
IMO...

For open sights, with a rifle of this caliber and an expected shooting distance of 30-50 meters (or closer)...sticks would be fine. Then have a shot or two fully unsupported (with or without a sling...however you hunt) and see how it goes for confirmation. Especially seeing as that's the most likely scenario for it to be used in.

The way the rifle is resting/recoiling in the sled will change the POI vs using sticks or unsupported.

For the scope work at 100 yards/meters, sled with no weight and again confirm off sticks...adjust as necessary.

Side note - the stable sticks like these pictured below (and similar designs) are a game changer from traditional 2 and 3 leg shooting sticks.
1676056427804.png

IMO...

For open sights, with a rifle of this caliber and an expected shooting distance of 30-50 meters (or closer)...sticks would be fine. Then have a shot or two fully unsupported (with or without a sling...however you hunt) and see how it goes for confirmation. Especially seeing as that's the most likely scenario for it to be used in.

The way the rifle is resting/recoiling in the sled will change the POI vs using sticks or unsupported.

For the scope work at 100 yards/meters, sled with no weight and again confirm off sticks...adjust as necessary.

Side note - the stable sticks like these pictured below (and similar designs) are a game changer from traditional 2 and 3 leg shooting sticks.
View attachment 516568
I just got a pair of these. It took a bit of practice, but they are great. They will be in my bag to Namibia in June.

@bowjijohn - That looks AWESOME!

When you have a chance, can you let us know the barrel profile please.

24'' match barrel (i.e 22 mm)

Overall length of barrel is 64.5 cm or 25.5 ''

Come to the shoulder quite nicely and I find the balance pleasing

There is no recoil cylinder in the butt.

I do have one but probably won't fit it

I've seen video of it being shot (by the gun smith) - bit of muzzle lift but normal I think and quite similar to the mauser 98 I got rid of

Appreciate that. I've heard some R8 owners say that shooting a thumbhole stock in the larger calibers is easier than a traditional one. If you have the recoil cylinder you should at least try (and weigh) it both ways.

One of the great things about the R8 is the magazine stacked on top of the trigger group, in effect shortening the rifle by nearly 4 inches. This makes a 25.5 inch barrel "feel" much closer to 22 inches. The fluting looks great and the low profile mount of the RD20 is very clean.

I will try the recoil cylinder and compare rifle weight, balance and recoil mitigation

I have just tried to top load and once again I find it impossible

I know folk on here swear by it, but I’m unable to top load any of my calibres

I suspect that the act of inserting the trigger group into the rifle pinches the lips of the insert together a bit

I certainly won’t be top loading- it just doesn’t work for me and there is zero chance of me being able to do it at speed and under pressure

I shall look to buy a second trigger group and build up the reloading drills around that solution

You can shoot that rifle in a lead sled without any issues whatsoever. Put a single 25lb weight on it and the rifle and your shoulder will be fine.

As I have noted here numerous times, I have used one for decades and a friend who is in the custom reloading business uses one with his customer's rifles daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NydiaBlesi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.