Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

Why no stainless steel R8s? Seems for the bushwhackers in Alaska, Canada and points North it would be perfect?
The finish on the R8 is robust enough.

P9150267 copy.jpg
IMG_0373.JPG
DSCF6442_zpswrtt8gum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to know one thing:
Is there a mass alert that goes out electronically when something unfavorable is stated about an R8? :A Tease:
I've got to say that the R8 minutemen have my respect. They just materialize out of the ethos to protect and defend this thing. It's quite remarkable. :P Cheerleader::W Pistols:
Sort of like the democrats:giggle:

And here we go again... :E Rofl:

Looks like the "bolt tapping", "bolt bumping" Blaser R8 saga will live forever in every Blaser R8 thread...

OK, so let's go again. As I recently explained in detail on another thread, and as knowledgeable folks are agreeing, anyone who actually understand bolt action mechanics will realize that:

1) ANY BOLT ACTION RIFLE THAT IS COCKED AND OFF SAFE can have its bolt "tapped" or "bumped" out of battery. Armchair internet experts / pontificators / patronizers please go ahead and take a bolt action rifle, any bolt action rifle, out of your safe (that is assuming you actually own a bolt action rifle, never mind a R8) and try it for yourself. By definition, a bolt action off safe can be opened, and all bolts COCKED and OFF SAFE are very easy to open because the firing-pin spring is already compressed.

Let me go further...

2) MOST BOLT ACTION RIFLES THAT ARE COCKED AND ON SAFE (read again: ON safe) can have their bolt "tapped" or "bumped" out of battery.

--- This applies to ALL rifles that have a 2 position action-mounted, sear-blocking safety that does not lock the bolt. Include in this group many, many Mauser 98 rifles with "low profile bolt shroud", factory CZ 550, Remington 700, several generations of Sako, Steyr, etc.​
--- This applies to ALL rifles that have a 3 position bolt-mounted, firing pin-blocking safety when the safety is in the intermediate position blocking the firing pin but not locking the bolt, as many folks do.​

In that respect, the R8 is safer than these rifles, because when the rifle is ON SAFE, its bolt is locked closed, period. This, by the way is not unique to the R8, but it does apply to the R8, you cannot have the bolt "tapped" or "bumped" out of battery as long as the rifle is ON SAFE, which should be, in most hunting scenario, until it gets on the sticks.

So, what are we discussing? That by definition, a bolt action off safe can be opened? As Red Leg says: "duh"! ;)

As to "R8 minutemen ... materializ(ing) out of the ethos to protect and defend this thing", could it be instead Forrest Halley : "folks who actually own and know the rifle and who actually hunt DG with it in Africa, correcting errors perpetuated by other folks who do not own and know the rifle - and do not seem to know a heck of a lot about any rifle - and who do not hunt DG with it in Africa".

Now, of course such other folks can chose to remain ignorant, and continue to display such ignorance in endless internet gibberish; this is a free country after all...

i do agree with one small exception. The Rem 700. Early models-prior to the 90's I think, had a two position safety that locked the bolt shut when on so bolt could not be knocked out of battery. I still have one.

I am always amazed when the R8 comes up how people are so polarized here on AH! I only had a little over a year of experience with mine in 4 calibers. I managed to lose nearly $4,000 on my purchase, but a number of you (R8 fans) got a good deal to start or add to your collection and I managed to get rid of a rifle I just couldn’t operate well in spite of all the AH R8 fans’ help. I managed to finally find accurate (as in under 1” 3 shot groups at 100 yds) factory loads and worked up some handloaded 3 leaf clover groups.

IMO bottom line for the R8 is it will get the job done, but not for me. I prefer the camming action of a traditional bolt gun with the easier cock on opening and easier operating safety (I suffer from old skier’s thumb). I cannot top load the R8 as easily as younger guys with stronger fingers. These are all my shortcomings though and not the R8s.

My young (45 year old) German buddy who talked me into buying the R8 just laughs at me. He loves his (obviously being German too).

Those of you who like it, or are passionate about it, enjoy it. It is an engineering marvel much like the Glock was when it first came out, or the AR when it came onto the scene. I truly enjoyed my year with my Erector set German creation. I learned (at quite the cost) a lot not only about the R8, but also about my limitations. And thanks for all the help in my experiment from the AH R8 fans!

I am always amazed when the R8 comes up how people are so polarized here on AH! I only had a little over a year of experience with mine in 4 calibers. I managed to lose nearly $4,000 on my purchase, but a number of you (R8 fans) got a good deal to start or add to your collection and I managed to get rid of a rifle I just couldn’t operate well in spite of all the AH R8 fans’ help. I managed to finally find accurate (as in under 1” 3 shot groups at 100 yds) factory loads and worked up some handloaded 3 leaf clover groups.

IMO bottom line for the R8 is it will get the job done, but not for me. I prefer the camming action of a traditional bolt gun with the easier cock on opening and easier operating safety (I suffer from old skier’s thumb). I cannot top load the R8 as easily as younger guys with stronger fingers. These are all my shortcomings though and not the R8s.

My young (45 year old) German buddy who talked me into buying the R8 just laughs at me. He loves his (obviously being German too).

Those of you who like it, or are passionate about it, enjoy it. It is an engineering marvel much like the Glock was when it first came out, or the AR when it came onto the scene. I truly enjoyed my year with my Erector set German creation. I learned (at quite the cost) a lot not only about the R8, but also about my limitations. And thanks for all the help in my experiment from the AH R8 fans!

I understand your feedback, @Ridgewalker . My complaints about the R8 are somewhat similar but I chock it up to an honest answer: your opinion doesn't matter, my opinion doesn't matter, this forum's opinion doesn't matter.

Some of the R8 complaints aren't universal truths, but are truths related to the plastic models that are incredibly popular today. The blind magazines, custom stocks with better fit, and other common features of the early launch guns that were much more expensive.

Today, Blaser is run as a very savvy business where our opinions don't matter. They've figured out how to take what was a $12,000+ custom rifle that had split appeal for Continental Europeans and Global Safari Hunters and brought it to the broader market. They reduced costs. They also have dominated the European market which means they cherish European features that most of us do not prefer. (removable magazines, weatherproof finishes, synthetic stocks, etc.)

I would have done the exact same thing as Blaser to maximize profits. But, the complaints against the R8 (other than just whiny naysayers) is really related to the fact that the current models cater less to the this forum's preferences and in exchange, they are selling to the much larger EU/US continent hunters that like the tactical features.

Ridgewalker,
Sorry, but I have to ask, a $4K LOSS when upon selling it after owning it for just over one year? Are the components that overpriced at retail that you have to take a hit like that when you sell a used one? I'm just curious?
CEH

Ridgewalker,
Sorry, but I have to ask, a $4K LOSS when upon selling it after owning it for just over one year? Are the components that overpriced at retail that you have to take a hit like that when you sell a used one? I'm just curious?
CEH
Bought a car lately?

And there are lots of retail options with surprisingly different prices. Additionally, one has to look at the loss as a % of initial investment not simply a dollar figure.

I have no idea what @Ridgewalker paid for his complete kit, but I am confident I could get 75-80% of initial investment on my Blasers. I suspect that paces fairly well with most factory used Winchesters, Rugers, and CZ’s.

I guess this works in RSA game farms. But in free range countries where the menu includes multiple species one does not have time to switch barrels depending on game.

Dead wrong my friend. It works perfectly anywhere. It all depends what and how you hunt :)

For example, when you are after Vaal Rhebok with the .257 Wby barrel in the Greater Karoo on gezillions of acres of open mountain range, I promise you that your chances to bump into a buffalo (never mind a Lion!) are pretty slim.

The same applies when after an out-of-the-ordinary free ranging Kudu with the .300 Wby barrel in unfenced hundreds upon hundreds of thousand acres in the hills of the Eastern Cape. If you doubt this opportunity exists, you do not know the right outfitter and I will be happy to make it happen for you...

The crossover does exist when after Buffalo (or Lion, or Eland) about anywhere, assuming you have the PG you bump into on license --- which as I am sure you experienced in your recent Zim outing is far from being automatic --- and in this case, the .375 H&H will indeed handle about whatever pops up out to any reasonable distance.

Precisely why the .375 is such a wonderful thing ............. :cool:

Amen!

And this is especially true for me because I have a Leica 2.5-10x42 ER i with BDC ring engraved by Kenton Industries to that specific load clocked in my specific barrel, on my .375 H&H barrel when it is fed 300 gr TSX...

Leica ER i 2.5-10x42 BDC.jpg

Believe you me, this gives the .375 all the reach it could ever need ... but I still prefer the sweet shooting .257 Wby in the mountains, and the .300 Wby as universal PG caliber :)

On my recent hunt as we were driving around the tracker indicated that he saw a particular game in the distance and we'd jump out, I'd grab my rifle and start stalking. Taking minutes to change barrels was not an option.

I personally do not think that folks who own several R8 barrels do so with the intent to carry spare barrels in the truck and change them on the fly based on what animal they happen to bump into. I know that I do not. I see the R8 as several different rifles for different hunts during a trip, one day at a time...

I also think that darn few people these days have several Buffalo, or Lion, or Elephant on license, and that after it is in the salt the reason to mount the .375 barrel essentially disappears, hence the PG barrel is all you need and the need to change it disappear.

To each our own, it sure works very well for me :)

Last edited:
i do agree with one small exception. The Rem 700. Early models-prior to the 90's I think, had a two position safety that locked the bolt shut when on so bolt could not be knocked out of battery. I still have one.
@Rule 303 That's why I like the Savage 3 position tang safety can't be accidentally knocked off and locks the bolt. The Enfields lock the bolt as well and are impossible to knock off as well.
Bob

@One Day... My next scheduled hunt is next August in Zimbabwe. As we are looking for tracks for buffalo or elephant we will not know what PG we might encounter on the way. If we see a shootable Kudu or Zebra then I will have to grab the PG rifle and start tracking and maybe bumping it for a few miles.

In this specific case there is no time to change barrels. So, whatever barrel on the rifle at that time is the one that would have to work with an R8. I am not saying .375 is not capable for PG at distance. What I am saying is that having two barrels one for DG and another for PG is redundant (if .375 on the receiver) and not practical in the case when one does not know what one might encounter. So, if the .375 is going to be on the rifle all the time then no need to bring the others.

Heck, on my last hunt in Zimbabwe, when we saw real fresh tracks of Elephant (over our tire tracks from minutes earlier) we practically ran as we were really close to the border and wanted to catch the elephants before they went into Mozambique. Again, no time to switch barrels if the PG barrel happened to be the one on the receiver.

It was almost the same with buffalo as we saw them cross a dirt road into the jess. A couple of minutes was all we had to load up and start tracking and try to get upwind of them. Again, no time to switch barrels.

As mentioned in a previous post due to distances on my Zambia hunt I will most likely have an R8 with .300 RUM as my PG rifle. And a double for DG. The Swiss Army knife capability of the R8 will not come into play.

It is an easier situation for @Red Leg with his preference of using a general purpose caliber for just about everything.

I like your setup though. The bolt face crossover is great, but it's a shame about the barrel prices and aftermarket availability.

Wholeheartedly agreed :)

But keep in mind that R8 prices only start to become ridiculous --- there, I said it! --- when an "Africa" moniker comes in the picture, e.g. steel receiver PH/Safari stock, Selous barrels, etc.

You can buy today (in the US) a R8 Pro (alloy receiver) with standard .375 H&H barrel for $3,500.

What made me decide to buy the R8 Pro is that the one time cost of the basic rifle with scope mount ($3,250 when I bought in Oct 2020) plus the one time cost of two more barrels with scope mounts ($1,250 each when I bought in Oct 2020) pale in comparison to the cost of an average 2 week annual safari for one DG; or half a dozen glamorous PG; or a full dozen less glamorous PG; or any mix thereof...

We each make our own ROI (return on investment) calculation. I was not in the market for a $9,500 PH/Safari (steel receiver) .375, but I was a happy buyer of a $3,000 Pro (alloy receiver) .375. Amortized over if only 6 years (God willing, 10+ years), the $6,000 I spent on 1 R8 rifle with 3 barrels & scope mounts cost me $1,000/year. To me, it is worth it. I happily pay/amortize $1,000 additional to the safari cost for the pleasure to use the optimum heavy, medium, light calibers as appropriate to what/where I hunt.

Because the price elasticity isn't there even with all the fanbois. They'd probably try and charge six grand for the receiver alone and three grand for barrels. I'm seeing that as a non starter.

Nope...

Because the metal coating is very nearly impervious to anything.

Yep ...

I just knew there was a logical reason. Makes sense. Thanks!

Indeed.

To be specific, Blaser does not use a "metal coating" in the technical sense of the term, like many maker now apply a ceramic paint coat (e.g. Cerakote). These are great but can and will utlimaterly get scratched.

Blaser uses a nitriding process. This is a heat treating process that infuses nitrogen into the surface of the metal and creates a case-hardened surface that is essentially scratch-proof and rust-proof. One very well proven early example of this technology was the "Tenifer" finish Glock pioneered. It has proven itself virtually indestructible since 1982.

Bought a car lately?

And there are lots of retail options with surprisingly different prices. Additionally, one has to look at the loss as a % of initial investment not simply a dollar figure.

I have no idea what @Ridgewalker paid for his complete kit, but I am confident I could get 75-80% of initial investment on my Blasers. I suspect that paces fairly well with most factory used Winchesters, Rugers, and CZ’s.
I guess so. I wasn't figuring in the original "total" cost for the complete kit. On a side note, I was able to actually hold and work the actions of a R8 Professional and R8 Luxus today. The Professional had a black synthetic thumbhole stock in .375 H&H and the Luxus was a .338WM with very nice wood. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the actions and excellence of the trigger. The fit and finish of both seemed superb. The salesman and I couldn't figure how to put the safety on? Pulling back on the safety didn't work. Two monkeys and a football come to mind. Ha! Anyway, the .375 was very light and I wondered about the recoil. Of course as usual, both stocks were way too short for me. Overall, I was very impressed with both rifles and I'm not easily impressed with almost anything. But, only some range time and working the action while shooting would convince me of their value at price point.

@One Day... My next scheduled hunt is next August in Zimbabwe. As we are looking for tracks for buffalo or elephant we will not know what PG we might encounter on the way. If we see a shootable Kudu or Zebra then I will have to grab the PG rifle and start tracking and maybe bumping it for a few miles.

Nope, this is not the point...

Per my previous post Tank I do not know of too many R8 owners who change barrels in the field depending on what the tracker spots from the high seat... In my case at least, this is lahlah land speculation...

As to any PH worth his salt who, when on trophy Elephant or Buffalo track will let you fire a rifle, and empty the block for miles around, at a "shootable" Kudu or Zebra, this too I am afraid to say is also lahlah land speculation...

Maybe the next world record Kudu could tempt him to let you empty the block with a rifle shot on the first or second day of a trophy Elephant of Buffalo hunt, but even then, you would take the shot with what you have in your hands, you would not run back to the truck to change barrel...

The point you seem to miss Tank, is that in may Safaris there exists the possibility to hunt biotopes and game so different that it makes sense to have different capabilities. As said before, in South Africa the Karoo and Limpopo, or even most low veldt, and their respective game, are so different that I like two different barrels, and I wish you certainly the best of luck to go hunting for Vaal Rhebok for your double 9.3x74R...

In Tanzania, Buff in the Selous, and Grant / Thomson in the Serengeti are like being on two different planets. Again, good luck on Tommies in the Serengeti with the double 9.3x74R...

Etc. etc.

You are simply misunderstanding why people own different barrels for an R8 :)

Last edited:
I find most - but not all - take a two gun battery to Africa. The Blaser can ease some of the headache. Of we don't change barrels in the field, but in camp sure. And sure as hell more likely when hunting the US unless brownies. And when practicing with lessor calibers. Given the cost of glass and the PH, mounts, travel, the cost of the rifle (unless a double) is not the driving factor. And the R8 can easily be repaired for most problems by the owner in the field with a spare trigger group, bolt head, and magazine.

I guess so. I wasn't figuring in the original "total" cost for the complete kit. On a side note, I was able to actually hold and work the actions of a R8 Professional and R8 Luxus today. The Professional had a black synthetic thumbhole stock in .375 H&H and the Luxus was a .338WM with very nice wood. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the actions and excellence of the trigger. The fit and finish of both seemed superb. The salesman and I couldn't figure how to put the safety on? Pulling back on the safety didn't work. Two monkeys and a football come to mind. Ha! Anyway, the .375 was very light and I wondered about the recoil. Of course as usual, both stocks were way too short for me. Overall, I was very impressed with both rifles and I'm not easily impressed with almost anything. But, only some range time and working the action while shooting would convince me of their value at price point.

You push the switch forward and down and let go, that’s it.

As for the recoil, I’ve got the threaded, light profile, 375HH barrel and thumbhole stock. It was my first „heavy” rifle after 308Win. First time at the range I was rather scarred of the recoil. I started with a muzzle brake and recoil reducer in the stock. After the first few shots I’ve taken the muzzle brake off, after few more out come the recoil reducer. Both now reside in a box, inside the cupboard, they are not needed for hunting. If one wanted to fire few tens of rounds of the bench it would perhaps be different but a box of ammo of the bench is not a problem and certainly not annissue for hunting.

Last edited:
Lahlah land...

Per my previous post Tank I do not know of too many R8 owners who change barrels in the field depending on what the tracker spots from the high seat... In my case at least, this is lahlah land speculation...

As to any PH worth his salt who, when on trophy Elephant or Buffalo track will let you fire a rifle, and empty the block for miles around, at a "shootable" Kudu or Zebra, this too I am afraid to say is also lahlah land speculation...

Not necessarily. I actually saw and tried to shoot a Kudu on the way to the area I shot my buffalo. The two spots were about 20 miles apart. Unfortunately, the sun was coming into the glass and by the time I asked the PH to put my hat up to block the sun the Kudu was gone. He calls that Kudu the ghost, a 60" that he has been trying to get for a couple of years.

Also, the point I was trying to make was exactly what you are saying. One is NOT going to change barrels in the field. So, it makes no sense to have multiple barrels for a mixed bag hunt instead of multiple rifles.

In regards to game at longer distances that you have mentioned I have the R8 in .300 RUM for that. I am comfortable up to 200 yards with the 9.3x74R (have shot game at that distance), but beyond that need something with a bit more reach.

Maybe we are failing to communicate, I don't know. ;)

Last edited:
Not necessarily. I actually saw and tried to shoot a Kudu on the way to the area I shot my buffalo. The two spots were about 20 miles apart. Unfortunately, the sun was coming into the glass and by the time I asked the PH to put my hat up to block the sun the Kudu was gone. He calls that Kudu the ghost, a 60" that he has been trying to get for a couple of years.

Also, the point I was trying to make was exactly what you are saying. One is NOT going to change barrels in the field. So, it makes no sense to have multiple barrels for a mixed bag hunt instead of multiple rifles.

Maybe we are failing to communicate, I don't know. ;)

Yes we are :)

In the real world two rifles give you two calibers. Take for example your Pelican 1700: 500 NE and 9.3x74R. A heavy and a medium, and a medium with a pretty arching trajectory if I might add. OK for DG and PG at short range to 150 yards. Totally inadequate for PG at mid to long range 200 to 350 yards.

Take my Pelican 1700: 470 NE, .375 H&H, and, depending on which country and what is on license, .300 Wby or .257 Wby. Totally adequate for any DG and any PG at any range.

As long as the big one is not in the salt (Elephant, Buffalo --- next actually, lion) I focus on it, with the .470 on my shoulder and the .375 on a tracker's shoulder, and if indeed a PG trophy of a lifetime comes, for which I have a license, I would quickly grab the .375 and shoot. It will reach as far as I need. Much farther than the 9.3x74R if I may add. I know, I owned a few of those in Europe... Now, you may be luckier than I am, because combining trophy of a lifetime and for which I have a license seems rare enough for me that I do not plan much for it, and I prefer undivided exclusive focus on the big one while hunting it....

Once the big one is in the salt, then it is PG time, and my .300 Wby barrel will outclass by light years your 9.3x74R for this purpose. THIS is the value of being able to put 3 calibers in that Pelican 1700 :)

Actually, I am leaning towards an R8 in .300 RUM for that.

While I readily admit that the .300 RUM is a more modern design, it still is but a ballistic twin of the .300 Wby and I would speculate that .300 Wby ammo that has been in the market for 70 years for tens of thousands of .300 Wby rifles, will still be with us as long as hunting exists.

I am not sure how long .300 RUM ammo will be available. I doubt enough rifles have been sold to justify corporate America to keep loading for it. It would not be the first of recent wonder calibers to come and go...

Also, good luck finding .300 RUM ammo easily. Admittedly, .300 Win is much easier than .300 Wby, but .300 Wby is still relatively common, world wide.

It seems to me that the .300 Wby is a better choice, if only for these two reasons.

This being said, as to ballistics, keep in mind that the .300 Win with a 180 gr bullet has a MPBR of 303 yards, while the .300 Wby and .300 RUM both with a 180 gr bullet, have both a MPBR of 320 yards. Yes, there is a whole 17 yards difference…………… Admittedly, the difference is bigger for 200 gr bullets and the Wby/RUM hit harder than the Win, but not enough for the three calibers not to be interchangeable for hunting purpose...

Is the .300 Wby (or RUM) worth it?

I used to say yes before reliable laser rangefinders, and reliable ballistic scopes when MPBR was the name of the game. I still went for it for my .300 R8 barrel because I have enough .300 Wby ammo to last me a lifetime, but with a decent ballistic scope e.g. Zeiss V4/V6 EET (external elevation turret), Swarovski Z6 BT (ballistic turret), Leica BDC (bullet drop compensation), etc. I would now recommend the .300 Win anymore, because 2 or 3 more clicks are easy to dial, and because ammo is half the cost and umpteenth time easier to find, including at the local ducca.

Just my $0.02 :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiningsoulstrust01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa