Blaser ideal Africa 2 barrel set

I like the choices here as I was wondering if 7mmrem mag would come up as it has the same bolt face.

I'm glad @BeeMaa chimed in with his experience.

Wondering where Uncle Joe is as he is another authority In the Blaser and avid R8 user.
The MA cartridge group covers all cartridges based on the 300H&H/375H&H, so yes the 7mmRM uses the same bolt head as the others in this group. Here is a caliber overview chart from 2022 and shows you what's typically available...
1693333238719.jpeg

I read through the 4 pages of this thread and noticed how many people suggest the .300 WM to compliment the .375 H&H.

I would have expected the .300 H&H to get a lot of suggestions as the complimentary cartridge. It however got no suggestions.

Why not?

I read through the 4 pages of this thread and noticed how many people suggest the .300 WM to compliment the .375 H&H.

I would have expected the .300 H&H to get a lot of suggestions as the complimentary cartridge. It however got no suggestions.

Why not?
Ammo availability.

Odd Blaser US is so slow to get things! I would certainly pack a Hornet as well.
A Ruger 77 in .22 Hornet is one of the rifles I would sell to finance a Blaser...but I love it as a farm gun, and would like it as my "everyday at home" caliber, propped up in the dining room waiting for those 'stinkin groundhogs, coons, and possums.

Personally I would not worry to much on what the PH recommends. There’s been far more buff shot with the 375 or 9.3 x 62 for that matter than any 416, and they are far more versatile. A bigger caliber is no substitute for shot placement.
I just keep thinking back to the Ruark "Use Enough Gun" quote that makes the .416 attractive. The extra weight sounds like a good idea. So open up a standard R8 to accommodate the big .416, or go with the Selous and deal with the expanded channel for a .22 Hornet?

A Ruger 77 in .22 Hornet is one of the rifles I would sell to finance a Blaser...but I love it as a farm gun, and would like it as my "everyday at home" caliber, propped up in the dining room waiting for those 'stinkin groundhogs, coons, and possums.
Keep the 22HORNET, at least for now. I know it would be part of your finance plan but keeping it has it in the corner where it belongs for varmints...at least for now.
I just keep thinking back to the Ruark "Use Enough Gun" quote that makes the .416 attractive. The extra weight sounds like a good idea. So open up a standard R8 to accommodate the big .416, or go with the Selous and deal with the expanded channel for a .22 Hornet?
The 416RM is a big step up, especially for most Americans that haven't fired much more than a 7mmRM or 30-06. I would highly recommend that you give the 375H&H a try in the standard barrel profile (17mm) with iron sights. You can even get a kickstop to put in the stock for some added weight. Give it six months of dry fire practice to create proper muscle memory and follow that up with short range sessions to get accustomed to the recoil and you should be all set.

If the 375H&H barrel doesn't work out for you, sell it and buy the 22HORNET barrel and bolt head. Then you will have a complete .22 caliber waiting for the varmints, plus the added experience of a medium bore. If you really want to step up to .40 caliber and above, it would be wise to do it in steps. Going slower will get you there faster. Plus it's much harder to add material back to a stock once its been taken off.

I've had a 416RM and it was right at my recoil tolerance level. I sold it to another AH member. My 375H&H that weighs 7.75 lbs is a pussycat to shoot with proper technique and a little practice.

Video of me shooting the 375...

Compare that to the 416RM...

Last edited:
Like @BeeMaa stated working up is very beneficial. I have two artificial disc in my neck. My neck get sore easily doing certain things. I have shot 10s of thousands in my life. Competition is what all my free time and money went for years. Also shot 338LM at ELR. So I do not think I'm a recoil shy person.

Due my neck, I started out with a 375h&h. After the first range trip I had headaches. It took a couple hundred rounds to get accustomed to the recoil. Then like many, read a lot on this forum and decided I needed move gun. So 416REM and a couple hundred rounds later, had my Buffalo down. After that I decided I wanted a R8, a good deal popped up and it had a 375h&h and a 458Lott barrel as a package. I purchased it worried the 458Lott would be to much. Almost sold the barrel before I shot it. Ordered a box of ammo, shot it. What I can tell you gun fit wakes a big difference. Building up slowly makes a big difference. So I know have 375h&h, 416REM, and 458Lott. They all have their place, people here have taken elephant with a 375h&h don't think you are under gunned. At the end of the day, first shot matters most and if you can't put it where it needs to go. No matter how big a rifle you use, you miss(think gut shot) it's going to be a bad day for everyone and everything.

Odd question, but one that’s been in my mind. How do you guys store all your extra barrels?

I got one in 375hh thinking I’d be able to change barrels and all that. What I found was 375 works on pretty much anything you shoot it at.

I picked up a 22LR kit and put a suppressor on it so I can practice at any time I want and disturb nobody.

I have other guns but in all honesty, that would do everything I ever actually do.

If you are going to do some long range shooting, you could add a 270 weatherly barrel or 300 win mag or whatever on the same bolt face and keep things really simple (although changing a bolt is about a 30 second job including figuring out how to do it because you can’t be bothered to read the directions).

Keep the 22HORNET, at least for now. I know it would be part of your finance plan but keeping it has it in the corner where it belongs for varmints...at least for now.

The 416RM is a big step up, especially for most Americans that haven't fired much more than a 7mmRM or 30-06. I would highly recommend that you give the 375H&H a try in the standard barrel profile (17mm) with iron sights. You can even get a kickstop to put in the stock for some added weight. Give it six months of dry fire practice to create proper muscle memory and follow that up with short range sessions to get accustomed to the recoil and you should be all set.

If the 375H&H barrel doesn't work out for you, sell it and buy the 22HORNET barrel and bolt head. Then you will have a complete .22 caliber waiting for the varmints, plus the added experience of a medium bore. If you really want to step up to .40 caliber and above, it would be wise to do it in steps. Going slower will get you there faster. Plus it's much harder to add material back to a stock once its been taken off.

I've had a 416RM and it was right at my recoil tolerance level. I sold it to another AH member. My 375H&H that weighs 7.75 lbs is a pussycat to shoot with proper technique and a little practice.

Video of me shooting the 375...

Compare that to the 416RM...
Thanks so much for a the great info!

404 Jeff
7x64 Brenneke

Odd question, but one that’s been in my mind. How do you guys store all your extra barrels?
I have 3 stocks and 4 barrels. Only my 300WM sits alone in the back of the vault, all the others stay in the stocks.

My current set up in the R8 is 375 H&H, 300 Wby and 22 hornet And I would not hesitate to take this set anywhere in the world. If I add another barrel it would be the 6.5x55.

Mmmm, I buy another stock hahaha. I only have 3 and really do not see me needing anything else in the way of an R8.

Most of the time, they are in a case and travel on weekends with me. The Blaser barrel is coated with some magic stuff that resists rust. It has made me kinda lazy because the rifle doesn’t need much maintenance or oil.

I also just put the barrels in the safe, leaning against the wall.
3 stocks, 7 barrels.
Note: The .22 LR barrel goes everywhere (except where rimfire isn’t allowed)

Want to save money and deal with nice people? Call ️ Cove Creek!
Tried that a few times, they don't answer it. Them and Somarribba (sp)? Euro and Val at Mad Dog are where its at.

Last edited:
Tried that a few times, they don't answer it.
You must be dialing the wrong number. Look up Cove Creek Outfitters online. I’ve never has a problem calling them during normal business hours. Talk with Bob or Bobby, they are great and really know their stuff.

Tried that a few times, they don't answer it. Them and Somarribba (sp)? Euro and Val at Mad Dog are where its at.
I've bought several items (in person and over the phone) from Cove Creek Outfitters and have nothing but good things to say about them. Blaser rifle, parts, F3 shotgun and most recently a MSR...all were completely seamless transactions.

Others I trust for Blaser rifles and parts are Somarriba, Euro Optic and Van at Top Dog Guns Global.

Not sure if you got Top Dog and Mad Dog mixed up because I only know Mark at Mad Dog, but maybe there's a Val who works there now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drsfirst

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]