AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Netherlands, Portugal, USA [FL], South Africa [NW]
Hello everybody. In @Moe324 expose of a hunting outfitter in Limpopo, he mentions hunting multiple species of hornbill. What birds and special permit birds can be hunted in Limpopo.

Would be a nice add on while hunting big game. Takes lesser space in the room after taxidermy work.

I’m scheduled to hunt birds in the Limpopo next year.
They told me they hunt francolin, guinea fowl, some doves and may be able to find some waterfowl dependent on if the seasons are in when we arrive. Exactly one year from today. I need to research if there’s a good bird taxidermist there. I’m very particular about my bird taxidermy.

I would love to know if there are some colourful birds like the hornbill that can be hunted. Heard pigmy goose can be hunted in some parts of South Africa but do not know if that is the case in the Limpopo. My Google searches are not really helping. Normally I can find almost anything with my internet searches but my skills are letting me down this time. Hopefully some members can chime in.

I would love to know if there are some colourful birds like the hornbill that can be hunted. Heard pigmy goose can be hunted in some parts of South Africa but do not know if that is the case in the Limpopo. My Google searches are not really helping. Normally I can find almost anything with my internet searches but my skills are letting me down this time. Hopefully some members can chime in.
Most of the geese I’ve seen have been Egyptian and spur winged. I think I saw a couple of Pygmy geese in Mozambique but we were too far for proper identification.

There are alot of options from what I have seen but you need to have the permits. The other problem is having them mounted. I have seen a couple taxidermist that do ok work on some of the song birds, hornbills, and upland. I have yet to see anyone there do great ducks and geese. I really wish someone would learn to do them great like here. I actually know some guys that went to RSA just for waterfowl and they froze everything and are working on having a broker ship them frozen to the states. As most waterfowl guys here don't want to deal with salted skins.

Limpopo_Hunting Gazette_

limpopo 1.png

limpopo 2.png

What is legal to shoot and what is legal to import are very different. The same people you use to import big game capes and skulls will have the current regs and help with permits. I looked into birds in Namibia it was very restrictive on shipping birds home. I want to say you could only export two of each species. . .
One of those situations where a photo book might be the better option.
If you want to get serious about birds, I recommend you check with Ramsey Russell getsomeducks.com

Last edited:
Chris Dorsey has a coffee table book which contains a good deal of info about bird hunting Africa (and other amazing places) including some about the rare collectible ducks and geese. My copy is loaned out and I believe it came with a dvd. Might be a fun resource if you have the inclination
Not exactly Limpopo, just some resources and ideas

Last edited:
I got francolin and guinea fowl with a borrowed shotgun when I was there.

My last trip was in the Limpopo. One morning going up a track into a wooded ridge we spotted some crested guinea fowl for a fleeting moment running across an opening. I immediately noticed they were not the far more common helmeted guineas I saw by the bushel in Namibia around waterholes. My PH said they were less common and required a permit to hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudiCass43

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe