Binocular Advice Needed

My 10x42 Zeiss have been my binos of choice for the last few years. Light enough to carry without thought, clear glass with good light transmission.

@jpr9954 & @mdwest - I ordered one RYO and another one with a wider strap (pictured below) that's made for a camera. The camera one is from Peak Designs and has (four) little tabs with strings to attach to the binos, that also QD's with the strap. Thinking I might like this for the heavier 10x42's but I'll be giving the RYO harness a go with them as well. Not sold on the RYO and how they will feel on my shoulder with the heavy ones attached. However, if I do go this route, I'll be making some attachments out of nylon to QD with the binos so there isn't any metal touching them. I can't stand metal touching the optics!
View attachment 617695

As a hunter and photographer, I use these Peak straps in all of my cameras and binoculars. Actually, you only need one strap and several pair of the dongles to attach to your different items you want to carry. I actually have two of these Peak Design straps, one wide and one medium. Best strap I have ever owned.
I like them so much for my binoculars I have pretty much quit using my Badlands bino chest pack in a lot of scenarios.
I can’t recommend them enough.

I received the two straps and installed them yesterday for a little testing. Here's a picture of the Rick Young Outdoors (RYO) harness on the newly acquired Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD-Plus and Peak Design Slide Lite Camera Strap (SLL-SG-3) on the big boy Leica Geovid 10424 HD-B 3000's.
1720727968655.png

Starting with the Peak Design strap. In short, it's awesome! The feel is very luxurious, like a soft seatbelt material that slides easily over clothing. I typically carry binos cross-body, with them slung under my right arm and the heft of these is well distributed across the strap. Plus I can carry them high under my arm and easily lengthen it to glass and shorten again if needed.

Because this particular strap was designed for use with a camera, it came with a few different ways to attach whatever it is you want to the strap...including a 1/4"-20 threaded adapter! The best thing is that they come with these QD anchor mounts that attach to your binos. NO METAL RINGS!!! Less noise and no scratching the housing of your expensive glass.
1720728675008.png

The strap can be easily taken off by pressing down and pulling back on the anchor. Four of these anchors are provided, allowing you to switch the strap between two pieces of equipment.
1720728837222.png

Possible concerns. How will it wear over time? I suppose time will tell, but seat belts seem to last pretty long. How is it going to look after a week in the bush. I know how I treat stuff and this will certainly see dirt...a lot of it. But with the QD design, a quick wash with detergent and a brush should have things back in order.

Overall, I consider this one a big win. Even my wife really liked it, to the point that she asked me to get one for her. However, with the four anchors we really have very little need for another one.

Starting with the Peak Design strap. In short, it's awesome! The feel is very luxurious, like a soft seatbelt material that slides easily over clothing. I typically carry binos cross-body, with them slung under my right arm and the heft of these is well distributed across the strap. Plus I can carry them high under my arm and easily lengthen it to glass and shorten again if needed.

Because this particular strap was designed for use with a camera, it came with a few different ways to attach whatever it is you want to the strap...including a 1/4"-20 threaded adapter! The best thing is that they come with these QD anchor mounts that attach to your binos. NO METAL RINGS!!! Less noise and no scratching the housing of your expensive glass.
View attachment 619151

The strap can be easily taken off by pressing down and pulling back on the anchor. Four of these anchors are provided, allowing you to switch the strap between two pieces of equipment.
View attachment 619152

Possible concerns. How will it wear over time? I suppose time will tell, but seat belts seem to last pretty long. How is it going to look after a week in the bush. I know how I treat stuff and this will certainly see dirt...a lot of it. But with the QD design, a quick wash with detergent and a brush should have things back in order.

Overall, I consider this one a big win. Even my wife really liked it, to the point that she asked me to get one for her. However, with the four anchors we really have very little need for another one.

I thought you would like the Peak strap. I love mine. As far as your question about wear, I have never had an issue with mine and when I have my camera it is a lot heavier than my Leica 10x42 Geovid HDb’s.
One thing you did not mention is that in the one side of your strap it has those sticky small rubber nodules. If you are wanting your binos to not move or slide around, put that side of the strap against your shirt. I rarely use mine that way and put the smooth side against my shirt. That way, when I am carrying my binos or camera cross body and have them sitting in my right or left hip, I can easily grab them and slide edge them up to my eyes.
For me, they are the best strap ever and as I said in my previous post, I don’t use my Badlands chest bino harness near as often as I used to. In fact, I did not even take it to Africa last year, only my Peak Design straps.

RYO harness...the jury is out. I see the advantages of the adjustable shock cord and the different ways of carrying that are offered by this type of construction...I'm just not 100% sold on it.

The good news is that it is light...very light. Easy to stow and deploy. Slides easily over clothing when adjusted accordingly. Shock cord is high quality and is capable of holding even the largest binos against your chest.

Speaking of large binos...IMO - Max weight for these would be right around 1.5 lbs...over 2 lbs I think the straps would really start to dig into my neck/shoulder. Especially considering how long I would be wearing these and how far I'd be walking. Just not the right application.

My other issue with these is the metal rings they send with the harness to attach to the QD points. Metal rings touching optics will not happen on my watch, so I fashioned some cord that I have into a figure-eight for attachment. Inexpensive, effective, durable, non-marring and still quiet.
1720729801288.png

Lastly...the extra cordage left hanging off my back if I cinch them up. Walking, crawling and hunting through bush looking for buffalo is not the time to get hung up by a bino harness. I know, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Like I said, I'm undecided on if these will become part of my kit or not. Could end up with another set of the Peak Designs or they could be absolutely awesome and I just don't know it yet. My wife and I will put them to the test and report back.

Last edited:
I thought you would like the Peak strap. I love mine. As far as your question about wear, I have never had an issue with mine and when I have my camera it is a lot heavier than my Leica 10x42 Geovid HDb’s.
One thing you did not mention is that in the one side of your strap it has those sticky small rubber nodules. If you are wanting your binos to not move or slide around, put that side of the strap against your shirt. I rarely use mine that way and put the smooth side against my shirt. That way, when I am carrying my binos or camera cross body and have them sitting in my right or left hip, I can easily grab them and slide edge them up to my eyes.
For me, they are the best strap ever and as I said in my previous post, I don’t use my Badlands chest bino harness near as often as I used to. In fact, I did not even take it to Africa last year, only my Peak Design straps.
My apologies.

Yes...the silicone ribs in the strap. I tried to wear the strap with the ribs against my clothing and two things were brought to my attention. First, I want to be able to sliiiiiide the strap and second, the buckles aren't designed to lay flat with the strap in that orientation. Made it not as comfortable, not uncomfortable...but the other way is much better.

I'll keep it silicone side up unless completely necessary. Appreciate the assist. ;)

@WyoBull - Any experience with the Peak Designs Leash? Looks to be a slightly thinner version of the ones we already have.

The RYO harness is about two seconds from being sent back for a refund.
1720791917911.png

@WyoBull - Any experience with the Peak Designs Leash? Looks to be a slightly thinner version of the ones we already have.

The RYO harness is about two seconds from being sent back for a refund.
View attachment 619279

@BeeMaa I do not have experience with the Leash. I have the Slide, primarily for my big camera and then the Slide Lite for my binoculars.
I think the Leash would be good for lighter binoculars but like you, I don’t want what I am carrying to dig into my neck or shoulders. That is why the RYO would not work for me.

RYO harness...the jury is out. I see the advantages of the adjustable shock cord and the different ways of carrying that are offered by this type of construction...I'm just not 100% sold on it.

The good news is that it is light...very light. Easy to stow and deploy. Slides easily over clothing when adjusted accordingly. Shock cord is high quality and is capable of holding even the largest binos against your chest.

Speaking of large binos...IMO - Max weight for these would be right around 1.5 lbs...over 2 lbs I think the straps would really start to dig into my neck/shoulder. Especially considering how long I would be wearing these and how far I'd be walking. Just not the right application.

My other issue with these is the metal rings they send with the harness to attach to the QD points. Metal rings touching optics will not happen on my watch, so I fashioned some cord that I have into a figure-eight for attachment. Inexpensive, effective, durable, non-marring and still quiet.
View attachment 619153

Lastly...the extra cordage left hanging off my back if I cinch them up. Walking, crawling and hunting through bush looking for buffalo is not the time to get hung up by a bino harness. I know, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Like I said, I'm undecided on if these will become part of my kit or not. Could end up with another set of the Peak Designs or they could be absolutely awesome and I just don't know it yet. My wife and I will put them to the test and report back.
I did something similar except I used paracord with the core removed. I just left the paracord as a loop.

1720795849635.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesgam

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.