Best time of year to hunt Limpopo?

I hunted southern Limpopo in early September and it was great in my opinion. I’m going back this March to northern Limpopo - hoping it works out well, I’m sure it will be a different experience

This year the bush will be as thick as it ever was we were blessed with very good rain to finally break the dry times. It will make for difficult hunting but I also find when the bush is so thick the animals are more relaxed and you can find a surprize around every corner.

Rain might be an issue and it will be very hot still. Go slow walk slow and spend as much time as possible in the veldt and watch out for ticks and snakes. There should be water all over and game will not be concentrated.

But like I mentioned with the aniamls more relaxed with abundance of water and food you might get some nice surprizes just be ready for when it happens it will happen fast.

If dates are wide open, I would suggest looking at hunting the dark of the moon. Animals seem to be more active during daylight hours whenever there isn’t much light at night.

Excellent advice! And while you're in camp during the dark moon, take the opportunity and do a night hunt as well for some jackal or small cats if you're interested in them.

There's a reason rates are cheaper in May or September; June, July, August are the primary hunting months. If you're hunting in the Limpopo, September is by far the better month if you can stand the heat. Expect temps to push 100 degrees or better. Unless your hunting a put and take operation that always hunts the same waterholes on the same properties, then there won't be any more pressue on the game than any other month and the activity will be substantially greater at the waterholes because it's going to be hot and dry. The best chance at a big Kudu bull will also be later in the year when they are not rutting and gathering cows. In September they will be in bachelor groups primarily and spend more time at the water. September is by far the best bowhunting month but again, it will be hot and the chance of snake encounters greatly enhanced. By October the heat is unbearable and the possibility of rain exists although the raining season really doesn't kick in until November. Again, this is for the northern Limpopo. Totally different in the cape.
IMO, some nonsense^^ The mention of bow hunting explains a lot. Some of this is promoted by those wishing to sell hunts at certain times of year when their booking calendar has some holes in it. To me, nothing more miserable than hunting in the heat and dust for skin and bones animals in poor condition. Of course you can sit at a water hole and do quite well in dry conditions. One common reason I’ve always heard for recommending these dry season hunts is: “it’s easier to see them with less foliage”… hmm? Truthfully, I’ve never had a problem finding or seeing animals in the time just after rains - the time of the densest foliage. My most enjoyable hunts have been in early season April to June. I really dislike the idea of sitting at a waterhole waiting to ambush an animal in desperate need of water… based solely on the limitations of the hunting tool I like to use.

A similar discussion comes up when discussing best times to hunt brown bears. Not to mention many guides/outfitters are also hunting exclusive sheep or others out of camps in different areas in the fall. Usually a lot of recommendation are heard for hunting in the spring… when they’ve got the “longest hair” or so the story goes. But by “coincidence” when really no other hunts are on calendar. Well … what hair they have may be the longest but most spring bears will have rubs, bare spots and that time of year they show maximum sun bleaching. Not to mention they are at minimum condition and weight. IMO, the best, thickest coats and most attractive bears, in the best physical condition are seen in the fall after complete shedding and after having some fattening time and diet of salmon. Why there is so much recommendation for spring hunting of bears in NA or the later/ dry season hunting of game in Africa? I don’t know… or maybe I do.

Tracking eland or Buffalo is about the same no matter how tall or thick the vegetation is or what season it is…If the trackers are good of course and the good ones will mitigate all the boloney straw man arguments about bad hunting conditions, poor visibility or game finding conditions. Plus, ox peckers usually fly a little higher than the tallest elephant grass- me thinks. :)

IMO, some nonsense^^ The mention of bow hunting explains a lot. Some of this is promoted by those wishing to sell hunts at certain times of year when their booking calendar has some holes in it. To me, nothing more miserable than hunting in the heat and dust for skin and bones animals in poor condition. Of course you can sit at a water hole and do quite well in dry conditions. One common reason I’ve always heard for recommending these dry season hunts is: “it’s easier to see them with less foliage”… hmm? Truthfully, I’ve never had a problem finding or seeing animals in the time just after rains - the time of the densest foliage. My most enjoyable hunts have been in early season April to June. I really dislike the idea of sitting at a waterhole waiting to ambush an animal in desperate need of water… based solely on the limitations of the hunting tool I like to use.

A similar discussion comes up when discussing best times to hunt brown bears. Not to mention many guides/outfitters are also hunting exclusive sheep or others out of camps in different areas in the fall. Usually a lot of recommendation are heard for hunting in the spring… when they’ve got the “longest hair” or so the story goes. But by “coincidence” when really no other hunts are on calendar. Well … what hair they have may be the longest but most spring bears will have rubs, bare spots and that time of year they show maximum sun bleaching. Not to mention they are at minimum condition and weight. IMO, the best, thickest coats and most attractive bears, in the best physical condition are seen in the fall after complete shedding and after having some fattening time and diet of salmon. Why there is so much recommendation for spring hunting of bears in NA or the later/ dry season hunting of game in Africa? I don’t know… or maybe I do.

Tracking eland or Buffalo is about the same no matter how tall or thick the vegetation is or what season it is…If the trackers are good of course and the good ones will mitigate all the boloney straw man arguments about bad hunting conditions, poor visibility or game finding conditions. Plus, ox peckers usually fly a little higher than the tallest elephant grass- me thinks. :)
Excellent angle, Never though it i

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephanySe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt