Best thermos for cold weather use

My Stanley was a gift when I assumed battalion command in the spring of '91. It served with me the rest of my career in the military, banged around duck and fishing boats out of at least six states, and kept me awake on deer stands and on long drives all across this country. From a utility perspective, it is still brand new.

And it really does know. :cool:

I have been using Stanly Aladdin thermoses for over 50 years and they do just find along with being indestructible.

The secrete to keeping your coffee hot is to fill the thermos with boiling hot water and let it sit for a while. Then poor that water out just before you fill it with coffee. Filling it with that hot water warms up the insulation and metal so that when you put your coffee in it doesn't have to do all the warming and loose heat.

Exactly what I do. Don’t know that you can beat a Stanley Aladdin thermos. Living here in Wyoming, when I am in the country my Stanley is always with me, regardless of the season.

Thanx to everyone for your advice. I never thought about volume being important. I don’t know for sure which I am going to get because I got a lot of variable advice. I may just get a bigger Stanley than the one I have now.
THANX EVERYBODY!

I was able to locate one of my two (no sticker on side). Still have the original box for this one and the price tag of $33.00.
Image1693706511.594268.jpg

Last edited:
Had several over the years- including the glass ones when growing up. Some lasted quite a few years and others crapped out unexpectedly. I think dropping them is not the best for the integrity of their vacuum insulation properties. :) I could never pinpoint the cause of failure of those that failed. Seemed like a roulette spin on which brands lasted longest or did the best job. One thing I do that seems to work fairly well is to temper them by filling with very hot water and putting cap on at least half hour before use. Other that, seems like you pays you money and you takes you chances with any of them...

My Stanley was a gift when I assumed battalion command in the spring of '91. It served with me the rest of my career in the military, banged around duck and fishing boats out of at least six states, and kept me awake on deer stands and on long drives all across this country. From a utility perspective, it is still brand new.

And it really does know. :cool:
Red, that’s more then a Thermos —- sounds like a good Wife !!

Thanx to everyone for your advice. I never thought about volume being important. I don’t know for sure which I am going to get because I got a lot of variable advice. I may just get a bigger Stanley than the one I have now.
THANX EVERYBODY!
So Rickmt, did we all “wear you out” with Thermos “advice”?? Looks like guys are as loyal to their thermos as they’re brand of ammo, pick up truck etc.. ! I really enjoyed reading all these posts - especially liked the photo’s of old Stanley’s.....they don’t make em like they use to and quality lasts forever !!

Well no but I think I might get a Stanley classic .

Another vote for the green steel Stanley.
It just works well. Kept our coffee hot and when we he kitchen staff forgot to refresh the coffee the following morning, it was still hot enough to drink. Although 28hr old coffee didn’t taste great. :X3:

I use Stanley for the good amount of liquid it contains, and it does a very good service - but nothing compares with my 60 years old "Thermos", the best one I have ever had, that is so old and glorious that his brand has been used since then, to name the object itself.
It's still a very, very good piece of equipment, and I'm very fond of it.
IMG_20230904_122236.jpg

IMG_20230904_122310.jpg

My hunting buddies in Maine are old timers and have a Stanley thermos, always hot. I have a Yeti, same. I can do more scientific studies with temperature this year but, I'm not sure that matters. Good luck with your quest!

View attachment 554926
Love this photo - reminds me of snow shoe hare hunts and deer hunts in Maine: cold, remote, traditional hunting style. The red wool plaid is “classic” and worn by many (because it works).

I use Stanley for the good amount of liquid it contains, and it does a very good service - but nothing compares with my 60 years old "Thermos", the best one I have ever had, that is so old and glorious that his brand has been used since then, to name the object itself.
It's still a very, very good piece of equipment, and I'm very fond of it.
View attachment 554928
View attachment 554929
Is the old Red thermos “glass lined” or steel vacuum? Looks classic, never knew they were made in England. I have a Coleman purchased in 1985, 28oz size and good for 18 hours “hot”. If I knew how to post a photo “I would”. Appreciate your pics

Is the old Red thermos “glass lined” or steel vacuum? Looks classic, never knew they were made in England. I have a Coleman purchased in 1985, 28oz size and good for 18 hours “hot”. If I knew how to post a photo “I would”. Appreciate your pics
Thank you Hank!
It's the "glass lined" one - still works perfectly, and it's a piece of equipment I really love...has been part of many adventures as much as my rifles or boots, or fishing rods. It's really like and old and trusty red/black shirt : classic and functional, and with many stories to tell.

Thank you Hank!
It's the "glass lined" one - still works perfectly, and it's a piece of equipment I really love...has been part of many adventures as much as my rifles or boots, or fishing rods. It's really like and old and trusty red/black shirt : classic and functional, and with many stories to tell.
Phil, isn’t it interesting how as we get older (assume you’re over 18?) that we develop attachment to “objects” and they become a more important part of our adventures. Your glass lined thermos impresses me on two counts: 1). That it ever insulated well, I never owned a glass thermos that kept things hot more then a few hours. 2). That you haven’t ‘Broken it’ ! - I never had a glass thermos that I didn’t BREAK soon after purchasing. My Coleman thermos has only survived 38 years because it’s steel lined...But, I have also developed an odd attachment to simple products that join me on hunts (thermos, hats, wool shirt, knife Dad gave me etc..).

I ised a couple of glass lined thermos that belonged to my parents.they were tin outside with a plaid pattern and a plastic cap. Eventually after 40 years they tin rusted through and the glass fell out on to my kitchen floor and exploded with a pop. So i bought a stanley green 1.9 l or 2 qt for the stubborn un- metricated folk. Keeps me in coffee for a day of driving or the family for a snack break.

the copies of similar products available at Buccee's

yep.

Ive got a double insulated cup from buccee's that will keep about 4 cups of coffee hot the entire day.. that I think I paid about 1/2 the price of a Yeti for..

Phil, isn’t it interesting how as we get older (assume you’re over 18?) that we develop attachment to “objects” and they become a more important part of our adventures. Your glass lined thermos impresses me on two counts: 1). That it ever insulated well, I never owned a glass thermos that kept things hot more then a few hours. 2). That you haven’t ‘Broken it’ ! - I never had a glass thermos that I didn’t BREAK soon after purchasing. My Coleman thermos has only survived 38 years because it’s steel lined...But, I have also developed an odd attachment to simple products that join me on hunts (thermos, hats, wool shirt, knife Dad gave me etc..).
Ahhh don't tell me
More I age, more I like to carry my trusty old stuff, sometimes even despite of some lack of perfomance.
After all, "performance" concept is very yours to define...
I'm 50, and I have some lucky items that (it seems to me) "want" coming hunt with me. Safe to say, some objects have a soul.

for what it’s worth to add to what most others have said. I am well happy with my Stanley. Wish I’d bought one years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencia6

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with