Best Soft rifle cases

I have always wondered why outfitters do not have soft cases available for customers? Would be a nice amenity and one less bulky item to pack.
My outfitter always has a couple for me and PH to use. I just presumed they all did. Maybe ask? Perhaps your outfitter has a problem with stuff around camp/lodge getting legs.

I take cheap foam cases from Walmart or academy. Weight, or lack there of, is my biggest concern. They weigh nothing and are easy to pack. They do everything I need them to do for my rifle. Most of the time I leave them in Africa to make more room on the return trip.

They get dusty and are subject to getting blood or diesel on them.

I don’t at all see the point in taking some fancy soft gun case on safari.

I found the standard soft case useless the first trip I made and now use a saddle scabbard. I put my rifle in it then in the hard case traveling and then I can use it on the truck as intended. The ways you can mount it on any truck rack system is only limited by your imagination. I have great impact and dust protection and quick easy access from truck and ground.
It’s a Trail Max cordura case from Outfitter Supply.
The rifle racks on the trucks best use is to hang your day pack, camera, or binocs on.

IMG_0653.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Red Oxx rifle cases. It seems they don't make them anymore. I had no impact to wood while rifle was in case riding in truck rack. I did a quick search and don't find any used on the WWW.

I am trying to have my Gemsbok skin made into a scoped soft skin rifle soft case. Will let you know how it turns out

I have two Red Oxx rifle cases. It seems they don't make them anymore. I had no impact to wood while rifle was in case riding in truck rack. I did a quick search and don't find any used on the WWW.

I had two of them. I believe that they will still make them on request. I gave them to my PH when I had the eland slips made.

I had two of them. I believe that they will still make them on request. I gave them to my PH when I had the eland slips made.

If I remember correctly I ask them a year or so ago and they said they don’t make them.

Rifle case mission #1 = protect the rifle.

Good looks, packability, etc are far down the list. I have a very well made and padded case by Allen that fits my Ruger No. 1 but is too short for my other rifles... seems that many cases are now made in short lengths to fit "Modern Sporting Rifles" aka black guns.

Also have an elephant hide case that I bought from Rookhawk that does a good job of protecting my 404J Mauser and impresses people. Mostly I have Boyts that do the job, but are vulnerable to zipper failure.

PITA to find a good durable soft case that does its job AND is durable.

Last edited:

I used an skb version of the tuffpak and put both rifles in these inside the case. Great protection for a rifle and seem very durable. Not packable inside luggage however and not sure they would fit into most horizontal gun racks. The truck I was in had a vertical rack so my gun was never in a case while we were actively pursuing animals. While traveling on the road it offered plenty of protection even in the bed of the truck.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NolanMesse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?