Best Soft rifle cases

Ok, we all agreed which rifle hard case is best. :>))))

Which brand and model soft case do you prefer for protection. And ease of packing in luggage or hard case. And for riding around in the truck rack.
They all suck! I may create my own. I am all ears.

I have a nice Boyt. And other heavy thick cases. My nicest is a leather with sheep skin. But it’s not practical to keep a bag under 50 pounds.

I use scope coat flak jackets to protect the scope. So I guess I’m looking for iron sight and finish protection. In a lighter weight packable case
My Murray Custom leather cases made form my hippos are the best but they are too big and unwieldy to fit in the gun case. Boyt, Allen, or what ever works is what I usually do.

What I want is one made from memory foam so it would cushion yet be packable for those who want to put It in the suitcase.

I think I will take some light foam and duct tape for the gun hooks.

And a couple cheap lightweight cases.

A nice horse scabbard would be nice to hang vertically from the truck rack. Or lay above the can on the rack.
But they are hardly lightweight and suitcase. Or rifle case friendly.

I used a basic sheath, some kind of of valor or similar, open on one end. Don't know who made it but it came to me via a gunsmith I used when he shipped my rifle back. Worked great in the truck gun rack, good protection; rifle slips right out when time to track.

I sure wish I knew where to get another for the new rifle.

I have always wondered why outfitters do not have soft cases available for customers? Would be a nice amenity and one less bulky item to pack.

Point of order: a Boyt gun slip is about 5/8" to 3/4" thick when laid flat on a counter. A padded gun slip from Africa is over 2.5" laid flat on a counter.

I have found myself steaming dents and repointing checkering on rifles when I brought a Boyt's on safari. They are too thin to prevent wood damage in the racks.
If you're damaging wood, I would think you are shaking the scope out of alignment possibly? I have never allowed my rifle to be put in the truck rack. I always kept it in my possession, largely resting the end of the barrel on my boot, tho some may criticize that.

If you're damaging wood, I would think you are shaking the scope out of alignment possibly? I have never allowed my rifle to be put in the truck rack. I always kept it in my possession, largely resting the end of the barrel on my boot, tho some may criticize that.

Possibly. But having your muzzle on the floor mat of a truck is certainly ruining your crown and barrel accuracy. I got in a pissing match with a guide once where he wanted me to have my rifle muzzle on the floor mat. I refused. Another guide demanded it of a buddy on the same trip and he had a ruined muzzle and quite a bit of bluing loss as well.

That's why I was actually resting it on top my boot...

Several months back I picked up a behind the seat rifle scabbard from Blaser Germany. It’s made with some kind of felt, has two mesh pockets and one zippered pocket. It also has a pair of straps for shooting sticks.
It may not be practical for travel but it sure is nice and convenient when hunting out my truck.
IMG_0818.jpg

I use a Boyt.

I do have a nice soft bison hide that I've never put to use, maybe a rifle slip would be an appropriate use.
I use a Murray leather rifle slip for my double. It is very cool!

Possibly. But having your muzzle on the floor mat of a truck is certainly ruining your crown and barrel accuracy. I got in a pissing match with a guide once where he wanted me to have my rifle muzzle on the floor mat. I refused. Another guide demanded it of a buddy on the same trip and he had a ruined muzzle and quite a bit of bluing loss as well.

And damage to the truck as well. Vaughan’s truck has a nice deformed shiny spot in the front , from the muzzle of the .22 always resting there while flying over the dirt roads.

Several months back I picked up a behind the seat rifle scabbard from Blaser Germany. It’s made with some kind of felt, has two mesh pockets and one zippered pocket. It also has a pair of straps for shooting sticks.
It may not be practical for travel but it sure is nice and convenient when hunting out my truck.View attachment 567218

That looks really good… could imagine one like this out of ele/hippo leather even for a general use car with pockets to put stuff in! And a rifle too of course.

Not to turn this into an infomercial, but I do have two of the Africa style gunslips that endure the abuse, and they are for sale in the classified section. One is Blue Wildebeest, one is Giraffe. Item 1 and 2 from below. (Note: If they don't sell in 2023, I'm going to spike the prices because the value of these cases is going way up due to import restrictions)

Whatever is cheapest and long enough to fit the intended rifle :)

I dont put a whole lot of thought into soft cases.. I only use them to protect the rifle/shotgun while bouncing around in the UTV or a truck.. I maintain control of how the rifle is stored on the UTV/truck and usually have a hand on the rifle while in the UTV/Truck unless I am the driver.. so anything that is reasonably padded works for me.. I then generously coat them with 3M weather proofing spray to help keep water from penetrating on those days that are rainy/snowy, etc..

I do intend on having a nice soft case made from a couple of my hides at some point.. I just havent gotten around to making that happen.. but that will be for range days, and not for hunting (Im not throwing a several hundred dollar, custom case that has hair on hide exposed on the outside on the UTV so that it can get splashed with mud, rain, etc as I go bouncing down the trail)..
Yep. Cheapest is good enough. I'll just take the gun out of the case and beat it up hunting anyway. I do prefer a case that unzips all the way. Sliding the gun in and out of an end loader wears off bluing.

Boring boring boring. ;-) Get one made in South Africa (or wherever) from one of the animals you shot. Another fine way to respect the animal. Talk to your taxidermist. If they don't do it they'll know someone who does.

Hard enough to cram everything into a medium-sized wheeled duffle as it is for a long trip. I just borrow an extra soft case from the PH. They usually have a well used specimen or several laying around. And the most expensive rifles I take to Africa are either a plain-jane factory Win 70 that tipped the $cales at the lower end of 4 digits :), about $1250.... or an HS Precision stocked Win 70 that was closer to $750.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knuckleball

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!