Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

wildwilderness

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
I am putting together a Double Rifle for Elephant in Zim next spring. I have a Sabatti 470 NE with Ken Owen’s that he regulated at 60 yds.

What sighting system should I use? Possible day or night shots.

My eyes are OK, only wear reader glasses (1.75x) so far

A low power scope with a red dot..in a swing mount.. I have that on my .470 Krieghoff..

A red dot is fast..and crucial if/whe hunting ele at night..

A low power scope with a red dot..in a swing mount.. I have that on my .470 Krieghoff..

A red dot is fast..and crucial if/whe hunting ele at night..
Please provide more details- I am not familiar with a swing mount?

Also which scope do you have?

Pictures of the setup?

A RMR mounted as low as possible is about as good as it get.

Elephant should be taken at 50 meters or less, a lot less.

Lon

Ghost ring similar to the ones availible from Heym double rifles.....

My Ele's have all been inside of 20 yards keep it simple and shoot the Express Sight that is on the gun

I like wide V backsights and an uncovered ivory bead foresight.

Please provide more details- I am not familiar with a swing mount?

Also which scope do you have?

Pictures of the setup?

My scoped .470.. Leupold 1.25 - 4 VX red dot in a swing mount. My rifle was prepared for a swingmount from the factory..dont know how much it will take on your Sabatti..

BF 6.jpeg

What is the best sighting system for a double rifle for elephant hunting?
This question or something similar is asked every couple of weeks...

Below are threads and posts that I've provided information toward sighting systems.

Something people may overlook is if a scope weighing one pound or more is mounted on a double, it may likely change the regulation of a double. This is something one must consider when considering adding a scope to a double.

I think that the EAW Pivot Scope mounts are outstanding! If a scope is required, pull it out of your backpack (or the one a tracker is carrying for you...) and snap it into place. The down side is the mounts with installation on a double rifle costs $2,000 or more. Scope not included!
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/products.php?cat=380

Iron/metallic sights are easy to use for most applications, providing the shooter can focus on those sights and still see the target! If a shooter needs reading glasses, chances are this is hard to do.

Reflex or "red dot" sights provide a single sighting plane like a rifle scope without magnification, worries about eye relief, or adding significant weight to an otherwise fast handling double rifle.

First is a link is to a long thread on red dot reflex sights

Red Dot & RMR Sights For Dangerous Game Rifles​

Second it a link to a short thread on

Red Dot Reflex Sight, Low Power Variable Scope, Or Metallic Sights???​

Post on sighting systems:

Last edited:
The pluses and minuses...

Iron sights

Nothing to break.
Nothing to snag.
Do not loose zero.
Fastest.
KISS.
Must have decent eyesight to see the front sight.

Red dot sight
Light.
Relatively unobstructive.
Beware, small reflex sights are not always bright enough for the blazing African sun on light backgrounds...
No risk of injury under recoil.
Great in low light.
More intuitive for folks who have not grown up shooting iron sights.
Bring (and always carry) spares batteries!

Scope
Beware of the recoil and the dreaded "scope kiss".
Must be a 1x at the lower end of magnification.
Must have super strong / factory mounting due to heavy recoil.
Detachable mount highly advised (mandatory?)
Integrated red dot / center reticle desired.
More intuitive for folks who have only shot scoped rifles their entire life.
Beware, illuminated reticles are not as bright as a designated red dot sight.
Heavy.
Certainly changes the balance of the rifle and the POI when attached/removed.
Likely changes the regulation of the rifle (group size).

My personal view is that a scope does not make a hell of a lot of sense on a .470 designed to be shot within 50 meters, but does make sense on a .375 flanged or on a .500/.416 when used at 150 yards; and I see no downside, and a lot of upside, to having a reflex red dot that can be attached/detached in seconds in the field. I had Krieghoff mount a Leica Tempus on my .470 K Gun.

PS: A thumb screw is hard to manipulate once really tight (which it must be), and it catches on bush, shirt, etc. I prefer to carry a mini Allen key at the bottom of one of my belt pouches (plus one in the gun case).

Last edited:
I am putting together a Double Rifle for Elephant in Zim next spring. I have a Sabatti 470 NE with Ken Owen’s that he regulated at 60 yds.

What sighting system should I use? Possible day or night shots.

My eyes are OK, only wear reader glasses (1.75x) so far

The best option technically is an optic. 1-4x or 1-6x with illumination. Why? It enhances light gathering and gives you a quick point of reference. (usually set at 1x)

The second best option is an RMR, providing faster target acquisition than iron sights, plus illumination, plus no parallax with what-you-see-is-where-it-goes. If the dot is cockeyed and up/right of center, makes no difference, that's where the bullet is headed.

The third best option is iron sights with a front pop-up oversized night bead so you can shoot it like a shotgun if you need to react to a charge.

The problems with the above advice are as follows:

1.) Aesthetics. Most people do not like optics on double rifles because of the "look". Same for RMRs.

2.) Rapid target acquisition and precision of optics and RMRs is reliant upon a perfect stock fit and custom mounts/rings to get the optic in position for an instant shot without any seeking or tiling of head. That's no joke, we're talking about $3000-$6500 optic and mount arrangements, or $1500-$2000 RMR and mount arrangements on top of a perfectly fitted stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hb88pizza

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with