Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello, was wondering what ya'll thought was the best shellfish you've had? I am a total shellfish aficionado and was wondering who else shares in that passion? My favorite has to be Maine lobsters steamed with butter and steamed clams "steamers".

IMG_2152.jpg
IMG_6447.jpg

Another style I've sampled is the Maryland Blue Crab which is served with melted butter, vinegar, and seasoning.
IMG_6392.jpg

Going further south I have tried a southern seafood boil, also known as Frogmore Stew in South Carolina.
70431496184__FE0AAA58-C9AD-41CA-B9C5-5A35536BCE98.jpg

Finally at the bottom of the East Coast in the Florida Keys I have eaten Stone Crab, Key West Pink Shrimp, and Hogfish sandwich! If you any recommendations please share them, I'd also like to see what ya'll on the west coast have for shellfish as I haven't been there yet.
70309881034__DA549330-4692-46C7-BCE8-AEED6D0FC49E.jpg

Maryland Blue Crab is hard to argue with, but I usually root for the home team with South Cackalacky Shrimp and Grits. Next would be Ahi tuna steaks in Hawaii. Honorable mention would go to a seafood paella I had in Spain.

I’m from Maryland originally….my blood chemistry includes a percentage of Old Bay seasoning….but it is hard to argue with Maine lobster

Stone crab in season - at Louie's backyard in Key West. Pair it with conch chowder and a dry crisp French Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc. Why go to heaven?

When we are back in Nova Scotia we never miss an opportunity for those North Atlantic scallops. A good single malt with a feed of scallops with the smell of salt water in the air…

On the other end of the spectrum, we love to buy fresh shrimp off the boat in Apalachicola and grill them up for shrimp tacos.

A side note; the harbor light in Pugwash Harbor, NS was on my wife’s grandparent’s farm. Her grandfather kept the light and always ran lobster traps at the mouth of the harbor. Back in those days you couldn’t give lobster away. It wasn’t until some 50 or 60 years ago that they could actually get money for it.

Louisiana crawfish boiled with new potatoes & corn on cob
Being from Maine I'll go lobster, scallops, and clams boiled in seawater in a big pot on the beach. Lots of drawn butter, roasted spuds and corn on the cob. PARADISE!!

On the west coast it's abalone, king crab legs, quahogs (giant clams), spiny lobster, and if you like them, Washington oysters.

Last edited:
Stone crab in season - at Louie's backyard in Key West. Pair it with conch chowder and a dry crisp French Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc. Why go to heaven?
Good call on Stone Crab, in season. French Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc a nice addition.

Oysters from the brackish waters of the Mississippi estuary, Plaquemines Parish (county for the other 49 states) west of the river, Grand Isle oysters eastern side. The oystermen here sare from the Adriatic coast of Yugoslavia, post Ottoman Empire. Imagine that productive oyster beds there make good oysters.
But I digress.

Oysters are bivalve mollusks (like clams) not crustaceans. Some excellent oysters are harvested off the coast of Brittany France. And probably a few other places.

Fresh water crawfish, grown in rice fields, and purged for 24 hours in clear artesian well water are excellent compared to any crustaceans around the world. Carefully simmered in a broth of "Louisiana Crab Boil" seasoning, tastes remarkably like Old Bay.

Not surprising that McCormick, now owns Old Bay, bought Zartarians, supplier of "Crab Boil.",
used by everyone here.

In Norway, they harvest crayfish (sp.) about 4-5 weeks a year. No flavor like Louisiana crawfish. They poach it in a very weak dill broth.

Chinese crawfish, no comment, nor purchase intent.

Best crustaceans in Louisiana lake and offshore waters are Gulf Shrimp, Brown and White, when in season, and away from the dead zone of Mississippi River.

Second best Shrimp I have had are from the Persian Gulf, from the docks of Kuwait. I was surprised, but in 1997, the waters were good. I have no idea today.

Today's seafood markets, harvest and distribution are first local, for a price, then regional and international for another price. My next-door neighbor, an engineer, retired from the chemical plants, harvests Louisiana Blue Crab now with 4 boats. Same species as Maryland Blue Crab.

His Markets:

75% of his catch Blue Crab is overnighted to Maryland. He gets $3 per crab on the dock, and they cover the overnight airfreight. And he can sell all he catches. Here in Louisiana the price of crabs is still high.

I have enjoyed Maine Lobster, South Carolina oysters and Washington State oysters, King Crab and other species.
When ordering seafood, know where it comes from (local?).

When locally fresh, a great experience.

Louisiana crawfish boiled with new potatoes & corn on cob
Yes, Louisiana Crawfish, well purged in clear running water (not called "mudbugs" for nothing). clean them up, then Zartarians Crab Boil, or Old Bay, some whole lemon, fresh garlic cloves, small red potatoes, salt.

The best king prawns I’ve ever had in my life were served at The Karambezi on the waterfront in Dar es Salaam…simply incredible…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaun09

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles