Brian

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all,
I want to buy a pair of the "best" range-finder binoculars. ( I am thinking in the $3,000 - $5,000 price range if necessary.)
Can you help me with a suggestion or two, as I don't this market at all.
Thanks for your time,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself. I'm researching and looking at the Swarovski and Leica brands. I'm sure the members on here have plenty to say about this topic. So let's see what they recommend. I will say I tried both this year at the DSC show and I really liked the Swarovski EL Range.

"The best" is a choice between Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski.

The binocular part of the product is quite different between the three of them. For a start they use three different prism designs: Perger-Porro, Abbe-König and Schmidt-Pechan and they apply field flattening to vastly different degrees.

The ergonomics is also vastly different between the three.

Do not overlook the lower priced option of buying the previous model, which is in many cases still available from the dealers.

I bought the Carl Zeiss Victory RF a year ago and I am very happy with the choice I made.

Last edited:
Leica Geovid HDB - fantastic binoculars
Second that - I've been hunting with a same 2nd hand pair for the past 7 years. They're robust and have never failed me. I expect they'll last me the rest of my hunting life. Swarovski are also good, the tint is slightly different to the Leica.

Hello all,
I want to buy a pair of the "best" range-finder binoculars. ( I am thinking in the $3,000 - $5,000 price range if necessary.)
Thanks for your time,
Brian Gallup
Brian - at one stage they were selling the older model Geovid's for $1800. A little heavier than the newer model but only slightly and they're in my opinion more robust. Range finding binos can get a little heavy if you're wearing them all day with a modern chest strap. I got round this by using a strap that allows them to easily clip off - also easier to share them with a client or observer.

I’ve used two different Leica Geovid models over the years as well as the Swarovski el-ranges in 2 different tech models one being a 2013 year of manufacture and my current 2019 year of manufacture. I would say both manufacturers are great units, both are obviously well known for their glass and ranging is good. I did notice some difficulty with both units whenever ranging out past 1000yds on deer sized game. A little difficult to get a reading at times. The Swarovski’s will not range closer than 32-35 yards, I do not like this and may be changing units again because of this. If you don’t bow hunt it’s not an issue I guess. Another consideration that I have looked through but have not field tested are the Sig Kilo 3000 binos. They are a 10x42 like the Swarovski and Leicas. I was impressed with the ranging speed and it seemed the rangefinder was actually better than the others, but again I haven’t put enough time behind them in the field. The glass was good in the Sig unit but not as good as the other two manufactures. I would say it all depends on how you hunt. If you plan to range and shoot inside of 800 yds any of the units will work well. If you plan to bow hunt and need ranging inside 35 yds you may want to stay away from the Swarovski units. For the $ the Sig kilo units are a great option coming in around $2k less than the other two manufactures. I hope this helps some.

I think clarity , low light performance, ergonomics, and weight are the biggest factors. I bought the Zeiss and I am very happy.

Hello all,
Thanks for your time,
Brian Gallup
I have only used the swarovskis but I will say they are heavier than I would have though.

It is very hard to say as the newest Leica and Swaro are both fantastic. I was in your shoes last year trying to upgrade my binos. The Leica fit so good in my hand and they will Bluetooth to an app or the Kestrel Elite. The Swaro binos, are as we all know, very hard to beat. The app is super simple and I like that. Being able to range and dial in seconds is a hunting game changer. I went with Swaro after contemplating so much. I wanted the ability to connect to the Kestrel with the Leicas. After talking to some experts I was reminded of how much research Swaro put into the smart scope and how that same technology is in the binos and app I was sold.
Happy shopping!
Philip

I’ve used two different Leica Geovid models over the years as well as the Swarovski el-ranges in 2 different tech models one being a 2013 year of manufacture and my current 2019 year of manufacture. I would say both manufacturers are great units, both are obviously well known for their glass and ranging is good. I did notice some difficulty with both units whenever ranging out past 1000yds on deer sized game. A little difficult to get a reading at times. The Swarovski’s will not range closer than 32-35 yards, I do not like this and may be changing units again because of this. If you don’t bow hunt it’s not an issue I guess. Another consideration that I have looked through but have not field tested are the Sig Kilo 3000 binos. They are a 10x42 like the Swarovski and Leicas. I was impressed with the ranging speed and it seemed the rangefinder was actually better than the others, but again I haven’t put enough time behind them in the field. The glass was good in the Sig unit but not as good as the other two manufactures. I would say it all depends on how you hunt. If you plan to range and shoot inside of 800 yds any of the units will work well. If you plan to bow hunt and need ranging inside 35 yds you may want to stay away from the Swarovski units. For the $ the Sig kilo units are a great option coming in around $2k less than the other two manufactures. I hope this helps some.
@Mnovak I use the newer El Range swaro and it works great for bow hunting. I am able to range down to a little over 10 yards. You must be referencing an older model.

I also have the Vortex Fury (now in use by my son after the upgrade).

I went though this decision a year ago and picked Swarovski, but for all I can tell Leica is equal. I bought through Cove Creek, I think the swaros weren’t much over $3k.

@Brian what are you using now for binoculars? What do you use for a rangefinder?

pay attention to what side the ranging button is on if you are a bow hunter.

Last year in Tanzania both of our PH's carried Leica's. Both said that they would never buy Leica again....... Lack of any repair options whether under warranty or not had made that decision for them. Take it for what it's worth. YMMV.
Bruce

I have the Sig 3000bdx, and love them. Sig has a better model available now as well. With your budget, I would definitely strongly research/consider the Leicas or Swaro’s. I’ve never held either, so I can’t compare.

@Mnovak I use the newer El Range swaro and it works great for bow hunting. I am able to range down to a little over 10 yards. You must be referencing an older model.

I went though this decision a year ago and picked Swarovski, but for all I can tell Leica is equal. I bought through Cove Creek, I think the swaros weren’t much over $3k.

@Brian what are you using now for binoculars? What do you use for a rangefinder?

Tra 3, Thanks for your reply. Good advice. I don't use range finder binoculars. I just use a pair of 10x25 Sightron 111 binos.
This purchase is a gift for my son. He now has a cheap pair of steiners.

If you shoot over 300 yards, the newer versions with ballistics data are really cool. If not, you can save $1000 and not do the most recent model. In your budget, you can get two top end pairs of binos. If you buy them for your son, you are going to want a pair for yourself. I’ll also note that a very good pair of binos gets used more, they will go on walks with you, hikes, hunting, tourism, sports games(!).

make sure the diopter locks on whatever pair you get. The vortex don’t have a locking diopter, so they go out of focus when carrying them as they rub on clothing or the bino case.

check out kuiu for their bino case.

Personally, a Leica fan myself. My second choice would be Zeiss.

@Tra3 I’m not sure about their newest updated model which I believe came out in 2021. Mine are 2019 and still won’t range under 35yds. I agree both the Swarovski and Leicas are great units.

Brian - at one stage they were selling the older model Geovid's for $1800. A little heavier than the newer model but only slightly and they're in my opinion more robust. Range finding binos can get a little heavy if you're wearing them all day with a modern chest strap. I got round this by using a strap that allows them to easily clip off - also easier to share them with a client or observer.
Victor, Thanks for the info. Good advice. This is a group purchase for a gift for my son, so for once, we are not so concerned about the price. Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wing yang

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with