Best Range Finder Binoculars

It is very hard to say as the newest Leica and Swaro are both fantastic. I was in your shoes last year trying to upgrade my binos. The Leica fit so good in my hand and they will Bluetooth to an app or the Kestrel Elite. The Swaro binos, are as we all know, very hard to beat. The app is super simple and I like that. Being able to range and dial in seconds is a hunting game changer. I went with Swaro after contemplating so much. I wanted the ability to connect to the Kestrel with the Leicas. After talking to some experts I was reminded of how much research Swaro put into the smart scope and how that same technology is in the binos and app I was sold.
Happy shopping!
Philip
Thanks for the advice, Phil. Brian

@Tra3 I’m not sure about their newest updated model which I believe came out in 2021. Mine are 2019 and still won’t range under 35yds. I agree both the Swarovski and Leicas are great units.
Mnovak, Thanks for the info, Brian

You won't go wrong with any of the big three. I am a big fan of Leica. I have had the Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 for a while now and have no complaints. Their design is uniquely ergonomic as well as working exactly as advertised.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself. I'm researching and looking at the Swarovski and Leica brands. I'm sure the members on here have plenty to say about this topic. So let's see what they recommend. I will say I tried both this year at the DSC show and I really liked the Swarovski EL Range.
Martin77 Thanks for the advice, Brian

"The best" is a choice between Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski.

The binocular part of the product is quite different between the three of them. For a start they use three different prism designs: Perger-Porro, Abbe-König and Schmidt-Pechan and they apply field flattening to vastly different degrees.

The ergonomics is also vastly different between the three.

Do not overlook the lower priced option of buying the previous model, which is in many cases still available from the dealers.

I bought the Carl Zeiss Victory RF a year ago and I am very happy with the choice I made.
Kaltoff, Thanks for the good info, Brian

I’ve used two different Leica Geovid models over the years as well as the Swarovski el-ranges in 2 different tech models one being a 2013 year of manufacture and my current 2019 year of manufacture. I would say both manufacturers are great units, both are obviously well known for their glass and ranging is good. I did notice some difficulty with both units whenever ranging out past 1000yds on deer sized game. A little difficult to get a reading at times. The Swarovski’s will not range closer than 32-35 yards, I do not like this and may be changing units again because of this. If you don’t bow hunt it’s not an issue I guess. Another consideration that I have looked through but have not field tested are the Sig Kilo 3000 binos. They are a 10x42 like the Swarovski and Leicas. I was impressed with the ranging speed and it seemed the rangefinder was actually better than the others, but again I haven’t put enough time behind them in the field. The glass was good in the Sig unit but not as good as the other two manufactures. I would say it all depends on how you hunt. If you plan to range and shoot inside of 800 yds any of the units will work well. If you plan to bow hunt and need ranging inside 35 yds you may want to stay away from the Swarovski units. For the $ the Sig kilo units are a great option coming in around $2k less than the other two manufactures. I hope this helps some.
Thanks for the good info, Brian

You won't go wrong with any of the big three. I am a big fan of Leica. I have had the Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 for a while now and have no complaints. Their design is uniquely ergonomic as well as working exactly as advertised.
Red Leg, Thanks for the good info. I don't hunt with binoculars very much anymore. This purchase is a gift for my son who has very simple taste, he likes the best of everything! chuckle. Brian

I carry a pair of 10 X 40 Ziess glasses (for about 30 years now) and a pair of Swaro SLC 15 X 56 when I think they are needed. Rather than go to RF binos, I am opting to go for a discrete RF - probably Zeiss.

When you say best, what does that mean to you? Do you want the best range finder? Vectronix VECTOR 23. Best glass? Any of the top three will be subjective to one's eye. That said the 3200.com are the only one's that will link to a kestrel, that's important to some not all people. Then you have the non BT models that have good glass and a good range finder without all the bells. So it really depends on what you mean by "the best". The Leica 3200s were the one I spent my money on. Had the Swarovski or Ziess had all the features of the Leica, I would have probably still spent my money on the Leica's.

The Swarovski EL range is best in class. The Kahles are better priced and from the Swarovski group.

you will have a Kahles for less than 1500€

Frank

@Brian - I currently have 2 sets of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 and love them. They were an upgrade from a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 R (Gen 1) that stayed in South Africa with my PH as part of his tip. The gen 1 is still available at a reasonable price...around $1500 and they are very durable. Excellent choice for a budget buy.

The difference in optical quality between with top of the line Swaro, Leica and Zeiss is very little. I spent a sunset at Euro Optics looking through them...along with several scopes. In the end it came down to the Leica and Swaro for RF binos. I didn't like the bump on the bottom of the Swaro and my eye seemed to like the colors better in the Leica. Personal preference really, and when you are spending this kind of money, you should get EXACTLY what you want.

It would be hard to go wrong with the current offerings from any of the big 3. If you are looking to keep the price down, look for older models that don't have the bluetooth capability and stuff like that. IMO - you would only need it when taking game at distances beyond 300 yards.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

I hate to tell you this after all the helpful suggestions that folks gave me for the "big 3". but we went for the top of the line Vortex ( with no RF ), partly because we support the local dealer.
I thank everyone for helping me work through the choice. Brian

@Brian - we all have tough decisions to make when it comes to money and who we give it to. If you are happy with your purchase, I'm happy for you. Enjoy.

@Brian - I currently have 2 sets of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 and love them. They were an upgrade from a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 R (Gen 1) that stayed in South Africa with my PH as part of his tip. The gen 1 is still available at a reasonable price...around $1500 and they are very durable. Excellent choice for a budget buy.

The difference in optical quality between with top of the line Swaro, Leica and Zeiss is very little. I spent a sunset at Euro Optics looking through them...along with several scopes. In the end it came down to the Leica and Swaro for RF binos. I didn't like the bump on the bottom of the Swaro and my eye seemed to like the colors better in the Leica. Personal preference really, and when you are spending this kind of money, you should get EXACTLY what you want.

It would be hard to go wrong with the current offerings from any of the big 3. If you are looking to keep the price down, look for older models that don't have the bluetooth capability and stuff like that. IMO - you would only need it when taking game at distances beyond 300 yards.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
I agree, Thanks, Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vlonehoodie

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with