Best places to get Safari clothing?

I like some the filson stuff, but its not as good as it used to be. I still have some the first shirts I bought there back in the stone age , Besides I just cant do fluffy drinks as ActionBob suggested ;):ROFLMAO:

I even bought a pair of cargo shorts at Bass Pro for 19 dollars in the seven inch inseam to make my kids go "uggh" with my short safari shorts:LOL:

Cabelas and eBay for me.
I finally found some decent shorts in the bargain cave section of Cabelas a few years ago and every time folk I know visit the states I ask them to pick some up for me.
They are the five inch seam trail shorts. I love them. I dislike long legged shorts and these are perfect.
I picked up a Fjallraven Raven jacket from eBay, brand new for about £20 and even though a Scandinavian mobile communications company logo is on it I don't mind.
I have also picked up over a couple of years, several Fjallraven shirts, a Levi shirt (which is my official lucky shirt) and some t-shirts.
I also picked up my Lowa hunting boots there as well.
All the clothes have been brilliant, most have been brand new with tags or showing no signs of being worn, no synthetics, comfortable and most importantly - cheap.
You don't need to spend big on clothing that you will be wearing in the bush. Comfort and practicality are most important.

I have a system for safari clothing that works very well for me, but friends and companions think is somewhat dumb. This system began in Argentina during dove shooting,
quite simply discarding my dirty underwear and socks prior to packing to fly home. Why fly dirty underwear 5000 miles? Just discard them and life is good.
On my first safari to SA I brought two pair of the olive green carpenter style pants that I wear everyday at work. These are almost used up, holes in knees and multiple
tears throughout. Having been in use for years, these pants were soft and comfortable. In addition, the pockets are adequate for pocket knife, small flashlight, blood clot trauma
bandage etc.... At the end of the hunt, just leave them behind.
For my second hunt in Namibia, not only did I leave the pants, but also tee shirts and an older pair of low hiking shoes. It seems that the farm staff keeps the old clothes and put
them to good use. Win, win for everyone involved.
I just returned from SA once again and have refined my system further. In addition to donating work pants, I am now leaving behind tee shirts with my company logo.
Why not? That's what they are for!
BTW, I seem to remember the PH in Namibia telling me that camo clothing is now illegal to wear in public, although not in the bush.

Fire Hose work pants from Duluth Trading are the way to go, after 10 days in the bushveld last year my pants where undamaged. No snags, no cuts, no tears, no damage what so ever IMO fire house pants are the toughest pants on earth. If for some reason if you do damage them they will replace them for free, I have used them for years and after 3 years on a construction site I started to wear a hole in the left front pocket of the three pair I owned, I contacted them about patch material and they said "No sir, those pants are guaranteed for life, send them back to use and we will replace them" after three years of wear for a $12 shipping charge they sent me 3 new pair. What other clothing company will do that?

It occurs to me that the entire sizing arrangement for clothing, both men and women's clothing is problematic. the sizing is based on the "average proportion" of people with measurements of certain points. Men's shirts, if they are short-sleeve base the size of the entire shirt on the collar size. If it is long sleeve, it's the collar and sleeve length. the circumference of the chest and waist and the length of torso are the "average proportionate" for that neck and sleeve length. It doesn't pay to have a neck or sleeve size that differs from the average proportionate. You get something that fits your neck and sleeve, then depending on which way you differ, have a shirt that wraps around you twice or isn't long enough to stay tucked in to your trousers. Where's a reasonably priced tailor when you need one?

Amen to this. I wear a size 48 jacket. Apparently most men that wear that size are well over 300lbs. I am not. While I am not a small man at 6' 240lbs the "typical" XL button up shirt is barely large enough in the shoulders yet the body, or gut area, of the shirt is huge with at least an extra foot of fabric that I don't need and I look like I am wearing a curtain. I have the same problem with my uniforms at work. It is very frustrating. I heard someone call it "skinnyfat" sizing. I believe it.

With jeans I have no problem. I just buy the same Wrangler 13mwz that I have bought for years and never stray but I bet I have bought 6 pairs of "tactical" pants that never fit right.

E-Bay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xihequliu56

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's