best bolt action for dangerous games

No problems with this one…

No problems with this one…

Well, I don’t care for a Sako or a Partition for “charging grizzlies” or other dangerous game. Give me an A-Frame or TTSX over a Partition every time. I do like the Accubond over a Partition as well.

I don't have time to read 200+ responses but I will bet my crusty jockey shorts no one else voted for my choice.

The Mauser 98 is indeed a sweet bolt action. However, it's sort-of American military clone is actually better. I'm of course referring to the Springfield 1903A3 in perhaps the most universally useful caliber ever, the original 30-06. Very seldom have I encountered a Springfield action built into an African "big game" cartridge. In fact, I've never seen anything but a couple of 458 Win. The Springfield is also cock on opening like the 98 Mauser, however both actions are NOT entirely cock on open. Both do the last bit of cocking as the bolt is locked down. The difference between the two is the Springfield does significantly less cocking in the final stroke. Consequently, the Springfield's action almost glides closed. Much smoother and more effortlessly than the 98 Mauser. The Springfield's "emergency" third lug is MUCH more substantial than the standard 98 Mauser. If the Springfield locking lugs are lapped to activate its third lug, this action would seem to have immense potential for build into a magnum rifle. The Springfield ejection port is about 5mm longer than the standard 98 Mauser. Therefore, in theory it should be easier to "shoehorn" 375 or 416 into a Springfield action since it's certainly doable shoehorning those calibers into a shorter port standard Mauser 98 (ask Harry Selby). Both actions used the same 3-position "flag" striker safety on the bolt shroud. Both can be easily converted to Buhler 2-position scope relief safeties or 3-position Model 70 style side safeties or trigger block safeties. Both have CRF and extractor claws that allow snap over (apparently only on "contract" Mausers, whatever that means) for instant reloading. Both actions when mounted similarly weigh about the same.

So why is 98 Mauser the more popular candidate for a big game rifle build project? I think the answer is probably cosmetics. The Springfield striker knob, though it does make disassembly and reassembly easier, is a booger on the end of the action (I cut mine off ... but be advised that surgery is more complicated than it appears!). Also the Springfield bolt release is somewhat obtrusive. And a bitch to operate compared to the Mauser release. Finding aftermarket upgrades for Springfield is more difficult, particularly bottom metal (actually, a factory Winchester Model 70 3-position safety will screw onto Springfield bolt - but requires a creative machinist to fabricate a new striker).

For me it's almost a toss-up between the two but I will still give the nod to Springfield. It's just a better action with a lot more potential.

17056199355017239460746667871538.jpg

There is no correct answer to your question, said another way… All responses are correct.

I wouldn’t recommend lapping the lugs on a Springfield so much as to “activate” a third locking lug, for a number of reasons…..

I wouldn’t recommend lapping the lugs on a Springfield so much as to “activate” a third locking lug, for a number of reasons…..
Yeah, they don’t touch for a reason. It’s just for saftey in a catastrophic failure. The bolt handle on most rifles serves the same purpose.

If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it.
3 more hunts including another DG hunt in Zim with zero issues. Hoping one day it’ll complete the Big 5 and Tiny 10

what do you think is the best bolt action for dangerous game hunting?
This being the original question that started these very interesting conversation’s, my penny’s worth.

Let's consider the most common issues encountered by bolt actions when hunting DG and the pressure is on.

• Magazine floor plates that jump open under recoil and spills cartridges all over. This is a common occurrence.
  • Short stroking, hence, not pulling the bolt back far enough to pick-up the next round. Alternatively, bolt being pulled right out of the action. Common occurrence when the pressure is on.
  • Jamming. Often caused by heavy recoil that press bullets deeper into the cases thus altering the COL and mess-up feeding.
  • Broken firing pin.
  • Safety malfunctioning such as shot going off when safety is released, safety not engaging, etc.
  • Trigger issues.
There are only a few actions that I know off that never displayed any of these issues, being the Winchester Pre 64 and then most reliable of all, the Mannlicher Schoenauer. If you can get your hands on a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 458 Win Mag (less than 80 ever build) you can go DG hunting anywhere in the world without fear that your rifle might let you down.

what do you think is the best bolt action for dangerous game hunting?
The one you shoot well.
If you're asking about a bolt, you're concern is for the second and possibly subsequent following shots, and in rapid succession. I would say Heym, I've never had an issue with any of mine. But, having said that, I've never fired more than 1 shot through a Rigby, or any of my other bolt rifles except at the range.

Just my opinion, but you and your rifle have to function as a package. You take your first shot, probably on sticks, and you need a second shot - RIGHT NOW - you need to be able to work the action and stay on target; or quite possibly you could be coming off the sticks as you work the action, and reacquire your target. That rifle has to come right back into position, if it's scoped - the eye relief has to be spot on.

This being the original question that started these very interesting conversation’s, my penny’s worth.

Let's consider the most common issues encountered by bolt actions when hunting DG and the pressure is on.

• Magazine floor plates that jump open under recoil and spills cartridges all over. This is a common occurrence.
  • Short stroking, hence, not pulling the bolt back far enough to pick-up the next round. Alternatively, bolt being pulled right out of the action. Common occurrence when the pressure is on.
  • Jamming. Often caused by heavy recoil that press bullets deeper into the cases thus altering the COL and mess-up feeding.
  • Broken firing pin.
  • Safety malfunctioning such as shot going off when safety is released, safety not engaging, etc.
  • Trigger issues.
There are only a few actions that I know off that never displayed any of these issues, being the Winchester Pre 64 and then most reliable of all, the Mannlicher Schoenauer. If you can get your hands on a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 458 Win Mag (less than 80 ever build) you can go DG hunting anywhere in the world without fear that your rifle might let you down.
ZKK602 has none of these issues.....

Apparently it is done. The benefits of bringing a Mauser's third safety lug on line might be somewhat outweighed by the amount of metal removed from the forward lugs (might being the key word). However, the safety lug on a Springffield is MUCH more substantial.
Personally, I would never feel the need to push the envelope of these actions to pressures that would require more support than the two lugs, but there are hyperspeed fanatics that do it.

The Winchester .300 Win. Mag. is sufficient with the below rounds. Naturally, the CRF is without question.
A-Square .300 Win Mag..jpg

I don't have time to read 200+ responses but I will bet my crusty jockey shorts no one else voted for my choice.

The Mauser 98 is indeed a sweet bolt action. However, it's sort-of American military clone is actually better. I'm of course referring to the Springfield 1903A3 in perhaps the most universally useful caliber ever, the original 30-06. Very seldom have I encountered a Springfield action built into an African "big game" cartridge. In fact, I've never seen anything but a couple of 458 Win. The Springfield is also cock on opening like the 98 Mauser, however both actions are NOT entirely cock on open. Both do the last bit of cocking as the bolt is locked down. The difference between the two is the Springfield does significantly less cocking in the final stroke. Consequently, the Springfield's action almost glides closed. Much smoother and more effortlessly than the 98 Mauser. The Springfield's "emergency" third lug is MUCH more substantial than the standard 98 Mauser. If the Springfield locking lugs are lapped to activate its third lug, this action would seem to have immense potential for build into a magnum rifle. The Springfield ejection port is about 5mm longer than the standard 98 Mauser. Therefore, in theory it should be easier to "shoehorn" 375 or 416 into a Springfield action since it's certainly doable shoehorning those calibers into a shorter port standard Mauser 98 (ask Harry Selby). Both actions used the same 3-position "flag" striker safety on the bolt shroud. Both can be easily converted to Buhler 2-position scope relief safeties or 3-position Model 70 style side safeties or trigger block safeties. Both have CRF and extractor claws that allow snap over (apparently only on "contract" Mausers, whatever that means) for instant reloading. Both actions when mounted similarly weigh about the same.

So why is 98 Mauser the more popular candidate for a big game rifle build project? I think the answer is probably cosmetics. The Springfield striker knob, though it does make disassembly and reassembly easier, is a booger on the end of the action (I cut mine off ... but be advised that surgery is more complicated than it appears!). Also the Springfield bolt release is somewhat obtrusive. And a bitch to operate compared to the Mauser release. Finding aftermarket upgrades for Springfield is more difficult, particularly bottom metal (actually, a factory Winchester Model 70 3-position safety will screw onto Springfield bolt - but requires a creative machinist to fabricate a new striker).

For me it's almost a toss-up between the two but I will still give the nod to Springfield. It's just a better action with a lot more potential.

View attachment 581417
Good explanation of the '03 Springfield.
My gunsmith, a very skilled guy, while he holds true M98 system rifles in high regard, his personal rifle is an original '03 Springfield (not 03A3) in 375 Whelen. It feeds very smooth, like buttered sausages.

• Broken firing pin.
  • Trigger issues.
I have had the bolt come out of a BACO, Model 70 in 7x57 Featherweight. Nice rifle, feeds very smoothly.
But that day at the range, shooting offhand rapidly, the spring for the Bolt Stop/ Release broke, and I found myself holding the Bolt. An "Oh Sh*t" moment.

I bought 3 more springs from Winchester. My gunsmith told me that he has repaired a couple of BACO M70s for the same problem, "a chickensh*t" spring.

Things can happen.

“best bolt action for dangerous games”​

It’s my new to me model 70 in .416 Taylor. I’m still finalizing the sighting in new irons. The scope is right on

I have a .505 Gibbs being shipped so can’t say it’s my favorite yet
IMG_3151.jpeg
IMG_3152.jpeg
IMG_3153.jpeg
IMG_3154.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
londondiamondonline

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available