BENIN: Hunting Benin With Atacora Safaris & Christophe Morio

Interesting so far. How many "bags" did you take on your hunt? Unless you want to pay a small fortune, hunters leaving the States use 2 checked bags. One for the rifle(s), the other 50 lb. maximum including ammo and everything that doesn't fit in your carry on. It's obvious you have a "flair" for writing, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the saga.
Agree totally that Hank has a flair for writing! I'm waiting for the first book so I can send it to him for an autograph!

Interesting so far. How many "bags" did you take on your hunt? Unless you want to pay a small fortune, hunters leaving the States use 2 checked bags. One for the rifle(s), the other 50 lb. maximum including ammo and everything that doesn't fit in your carry on. It's obvious you have a "flair" for writing, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the saga.

I took three - my regular stuff, the Tuffpak gun case and a Pelican ammo case. In hindsight, I could have gotten away with two - I could have put the ammo in the regular bag, because I wasn't connecting in Africa, and Air France would have accepted Air Canada's rules. The problem arises when you arrive in Africa, and then have to take another flight. No African country or airline that I know of allows you to put ammo in with regular baggage. They all require a seperate case.

Three didn't cost me anything, because I have status on Air Canada which allows me three bags. On the way home, though, Air France wanted lots of money for the empty ammo case, so it was stuffed into the other bag.

Day 2 March 20.

The heat. Did I mention the heat? I haven't slept well since I arrived in Benin, and I'm not sure if or when I will. The team here is doing what it can - today, another fan was delivered to my room, and the window coverings were removed to try to let some air in. But it just is so hot that moving air feels like I'm in a convection oven rather than a plain oven (and I believe a convection oven cooks faster!)! The only parts of me which the fans cool are those which are sweating. Since all of me is sweating, this might not be a big problem . . .

Physically, though, this is taking a toll, and we’re only on day 2. I know I should eat more, but I have very little appetite – the thought of food actually makes me nauseous. I’m also a bit dehydrated, although I drink more than anyone. But it’s clearly not enough, if the waterworks are anything to go by!

Today, we have decided to have a look for the hippo. Christophe has identified a good male, with two notched ears, from a group of about 27 which have been living in a pool about 45 minutes drive from camp. When we arrive at the pool, we can only identify 5 - it appears that the rest have decamped for elsewhere. The water is as fetid as I've seen, but apparently, they aren't bothered. After a few minutes, I'm relieved to hear that the male with the two notched ears is still among them. He's now the only male with the group.

We start by trying out the drone to see what the effect will be. While the drone isn't particularly noisy, it does make a high-pitched whine as it flies, as I'm told drones are wont to do. Perhaps not surprisingly, the effect is to have all of the hippos submerge instantly! They will have to come up for air, I tell myself. And so they do, but they clearly aren't comfortable with the noise over their heads.

That done, I position myself to take the shot. It’s a bit of an awkward angle (here come the excuses . . .) but I think I should be able to get a good shot off. I wait, and at some point, the male pops his head up and gives me a good shot. I let my breath out, and start to squeeze. I think at that point he began to submerge – at least, that’s my story. Having said that, it doesn’t account for the fact that my shot hit water before it hit the hippo! I did hit him though, and we weren't positive, but given the lack of movement, it might have been a good shot. We sit and wait, and wait, and after about 5 minutes, we start to think that this might be over.

Suddenly, there is lots of movement, and a huge wake, as if something is moving very fast underwater. Someone says that he’s being pushed at speed, so we run along the bank to try to keep up. Then, as fast as it began, the movement stops. And the big male’s head comes up for air. Sh*t. He’s bleeding from the head, but clearly not dead! I position myself for another shot, but take it too quickly, and while I hit him, he’s now motoring back from whence he came at an equally high rate of speed. So off we go, running back up the bank, the way we came. I think the trackers are thinking the heat has gotten to these crazy people . . .

He stops, surrounded by the other hippo, but submerged. Again, we’re waiting to see what happens, and I have the Rigby on the sticks. Christophe is on the other side of a tree from me, and suddenly says “there he is take him.” Well, I can’t see him from my angle, so I bend around the tree, and there he is. This time I take an extra second, if only because the angle is really strange for a shot, and I can’t get straight on him. I squeeze the trigger and give him one that finishes him off. Dead. Finally.

The pictures below show the sequence of what happens next.

DSC00510.jpg

First things first. We collect some elephant dung and light it. The smoke will go a long way to protect us from the tsetse flies.

DSC00511.jpg

We've sent back to camp for a larger crew and some equipment. First, they build a raft of sorts.

DSC00515.jpg

The raft is carried to the water. Christophe is on the left, and Jean-Luc is on the right.

DSC00518.jpg

Next, dried palm fronds are cut. You will see why in a minute!

DSC00533.jpg

The palm frond are lit on fire, and the raft is pushed towards the dead hippo. They wave the palm fronds, which will apparently ward off hippos. Which are underwater. Notice to the right of the dead hippo - another hippo is keeping a close eye on events, but does not seem fazed by the palm fronds.

DSC00542.jpg

Getting closer to the dead hippo, and the live one is still keeping watch. I think the bravest of the staff are in the water. I didn't say the brightest, just the bravest.

DSC00547.jpg

Bringing the trophy home. Someone has swum underwater and attached a rope to the dead hippo. Hippo on the right is now spouting water.

DSC00550.jpg

Almost home!

DSC00557.jpg

We've now attached a winch to the dead hippo, and are pulling him onshore. Note the fellow standing next to the winch cable, in violation of OHS guidelines. His job is to throw water on the dry ground to ease the passage of the hippo. It will work, so long as he keeps his legs. Everything is thought of!

DSC00566.jpg

Nice teeth!

DSC00581.jpg

Christophe and I.

DSC00589.jpg

The whole team. All survived the recovery with no injuries!

Really great story so far Hank....looking forward to hearing more. Congrats on a nice hippo!

Nice first day!

And congrats on the hippo! (y)(y)

Put's a new twist on Hippo hunting on Land.
J'aimerais entendre le commentaire sur le gars blanc monter et descendre la rivière. :ROFLMAO:

Congratulations on the hippo. Did you bring suspenders along for the pants? With the heat and little food you must be slowly disappearing.

Great read!

Put's a new twist on Hippo hunting on Land.
J'aimerais entendre le commentaire sur le gars blanc monter et descendre la rivière. :ROFLMAO:
Heursement, j'comprends le français!

Congratulations on the hippo. Did you bring suspenders along for the pants? With the heat and little food you must be slowly disappearing.

This was a concern, but only short term. Since my return, I believe I have more than made up for any losses. I do regret, though, passing on the hippo brochettes.

After dismantling the hippo, we headed back for lunch, and then back out for the afternoon.

We quickly spotted a nice herd of roan, and decided to see if there was a decent bull in the bunch. We began stalking the herd, and after some time, Christophe decided there was a good bull there. But we couldn’t get close enough for a shot in what was reasonably thick cover. We followed and tried to get ahead of them for an hour, but no luck. At one point, it seemed they were heading up over a hill, and Christophe had me set up waiting for the bull to come into a clearing at something over 150 yards. When the bull did come into the clearing, I wasn’t fast enough, and couldn’t take the shot. Disappointing to say the least – we’d covered some real distance trying to get this fellow.

The one good thing about this was that I could finally get some water, so I refilled the tank while one of the trackers went back for the vehicle.

It was now getting close to 6.30, and we decided to slowly start making our way back towards camp (at this point we were virtually in Burkina Faso). After some time, seeing lots of kob but not much else, I began to doze. I was woken up far too rudely with an imperative whisper – “let’s get him.” Who? What? Where am I again?

I get off the truck, and my gun is handed to me. I still don’t know what I’m supposed to be shooting at, but Christophe points in a direction, and I look through the scope. Standing about 100 yards away is a roan, hiding behind a tree and some bushes. “Take him.” So I do, and he falls to the shot.

As I run up, it seems I’ve shot high yet again, and spined the poor fellow. Another shot, into the vitals this time, and he’s done. A wonderful trophy – I sort of concluded that he was the one we’d been stalking for over an hour a while back. Christophe says not – we’re way too far away, but I decide he doesn’t understand Karma.

Two days, four animals. At this rate the hunt will be over before I know it!

DSC00592.jpg

Nice story on a place that is on my short list! Can't wait to hear more.
Philip

Heursement, j'comprends le français!

Je connais. Comme je me souviens bien, vous avez migré de Montréal. :)

All this French makes me think of one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands....

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

:A Band:
......one too many smilies

Nothing like dozing off and getting trophies pointed out. Been there, done that.

Nice Roan.

Nothing like dozing off and getting trophies pointed out. Been there, done that.

Nice Roan.

Really.....that's all you got after a reference to one of Canada's finest......you so disappoint me.

Looks like a very nice Roan. Gotta say that hippo looks like a real stud. Congrats Bruce

We've now attached a winch to the dead hippo, and are pulling him onshore. Note the fellow standing next to the winch cable, in violation of OHS guidelines.
Hank- I had a long day at work and when I read that quote I laughed my head off!! It made my day...OHS guidelines a little different in Benin!!

Nice roan, congrats! Look forward to the rest of the story

Great write up and nice roan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmkcom

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]