AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
So I will be in Maine hunting bear for the first time ever from September 15-21. I will be with an outfitter called Matagamon Wilderness. It seems like their success rate is pretty good, but the bears look a little small. Anybody ever hunt there before, or anywhere else in The Maine North Woods, and have any advice for me?

Thanx-
Bill

I don't have any advice, but I am following along with interest!

If you want big black bears go to Southeast Alaska.NewFoundland looks to have some big ones as well. Mild winters and salmon runs are key!

Bear in Maine are small. I'm 5'6" 200#. Stuffed Bear not cub in corner of lodge Maine Northwoods moose lodge looked like my little grade school brother. My moose outfitter offered Bear hunting at $800/day after moose hunt. Ran his dogs so you better be in great shape. Saw bear bait can setup in woods. Hitchin post in wide open to rest your gun on. No cover to hide hunters. Better food and portion at a soup kitchen. Hot dogs,burgers,chili, spaghetti. Expired snacks. Last nite steak was thinner than carne asada. Website said all you can eat-crockpot to feed 6 hunters and guides. Their kids were entitled.We hunted in zone 1 on the Canadian border. Outfitter and wife had new $$$ trucks every year. Our cabin looked like a shed from the 60's. Two inch thick mattress on bunk bed had rodent holes. Hope you have a better experience. Took me 23 yrs to pull a moose tag.

Good luck on your hunt!
I'll be on my first bear hunt also starting September 11th in the U.P. of Michigan. It's where I'm originally from so really looking forward to it.

I have hunted with Mattagammon Wilderness a few times. We started hunting there maybe 30 years ago. That is when Don Dudley owned the store, campground and the guiding business. His son is a Game warden and is on the Tv show about Maine Wardens. He still lives there at the Dam, and if you can try to meet him. He has an amazing life story, moved up to the wild of Maine to raise his family, run a trap line and built that business. He is one of the great Whitetail trackers and a great guy to speak to;

They sold the Business to the Christianson's, and they are also great people. I have hunted with them also. The area is vast wilderness and abuts Baxter state park. Lots of cliffs and caves in that area and great winter ground for bears. If I remember correctly, I don't think I spent to many nights if at all without seeing a bear.

An Adult bear in Maine is 200 Lbs. I have been in Camp there and have seen a Bear taken that was 500. I think for most new hunters black bears are hard to judge size, and usually get excited when they see their first bear and end up taking the first one, hence a lot of bears are taken from 125-200 lb range. If you can judge a bear size and hold out, you should be able to harvest a nice Bear 250+. The bigger bears are there, but when there is a good population of bears, you will see many.

If you flyfish, there is some good trout fishing there, and we used to bring Kayaks and do the river run in the morning fishing all the way down to the flatwater pull out spot. Don would open the dam a bit so we had good water going down. The lake is also a nice place to paddle and see moose along the shore.
You will have a very good hunt, I have been in many bear camps in Maine and I can honestly say they do it right.

So I will be in Maine hunting bear for the first time ever from September 15-21. I will be with an outfitter called Matagamon Wilderness. It seems like their success rate is pretty good, but the bears look a little small. Anybody ever hunt there before, or anywhere else in The Maine North Woods, and have any advice for me?

Thanx-
Bill
@migrabill: if you’ve never hunted Bear before Maine certainly has plenty and you should expect to see some. How are you hunting: over bait? Or behind hounds?
I’ve made 9 different black bear hunts (all were fully Guided) starting in the 1980s and most were in Maine ( a couple in Quebec). All my Maine hunts were in the Northeast or Northwest part of the State. Two were Hound Hunts and the rest over Bait….I enjoyed everyone of them and especially the Hound Hunts because we had action (a chase) everyday. There are some hunts now that might combine Hounds in the mornings and Bait sits afternoons. I preferred baited hunts because you can be selective on what Bear you shoot, provided you can judge “size” which is very difficult. Hunt prices are relatively inexpensive for Bait only and more for Hounds and more still for Bait & Hounds. If you’ve never killed a Bear and will be content with a 150lb. - 175lb bear then Maine is a good place and success likely around 40%+/-. The average bear killed in Maine averages 135lbs live weight and this statistic was published by Maine Fish & Game and I’ve read it several times. Guide “estimated weight” is Never accurate and Always over stated….only a Guide that scales every bear can be believed and most do Not scale their Bears (only 2 guides I used “weighed” their Bears). In the Maine Camps I’ve been in I’ve seen a total of about 50-55 bears taken and only 5-6 scaled over 200 lbs —— but three of those scaled 305, 315, & 356. Interestingly All three of the 300lb.+ Bears I’ve seen weighed were from the same Camp and on consecutive years (2007-08?) when we went on “Spring Hunts” that were conducted exclusively on Indian land (Pasquemody?) where one Outfitter had exclusive hunting access too. I don’t believe Spring Bear hunting is legal in Maine unless it is on Indian reservation land ?? I believe our Outfitter lost that contract after a couple years. The rest of my hunts were Fall hunts and most Bear I saw brought into Camp fell into the standard 130 - 150lb range. They still make an interesting mount and the hunt is always fun. It is exciting to see hounds chase and tree or bay a bear regardless of size - the dogs are the best part of the Hunt. Unfortunately, many Guides “expect” You to shoot the first Bear the dogs tree/or bay and you might not be able to “pass” on a legal bear (in Maine ANY Bear is Legal - unless laws changed?). On Bait - it’s just you and you can “pass” whatever you want. I did not know this “practice” on my first Hound hunt and it led to quite an argument under the tree when my hunting buddy wanted to pass on a very small Treed bear (under 100lbs.) - the Guide threatened to END our hunt if bear wasn’t shot (it was Day 2 of a 6 Day Hunt). Ask questions of your Guide about his “practice”, I think many Guides are reasonable and I just got one that was a jerk. Regarding Bear “size” in Maine - every guide and every area in Maine has the same genetics and same average size bear - Most will be well under 200 lbs. If you want Big Black Bear then Maine is Not the State to go - North Carolina, Vancouver Island, Alaska, even PA and NJ average larger Black bear. But Maine Bear hunts are reasonably priced and Camp usually fun…..I went back to several Maine Bear Camps in Late Fall just to hunt Grouse, Woodcock, and snowshoe hare. Hope you enjoy your hunt - Maine is great, you might see moose, we also had Fisher hit our baits and also Coyote, beautiful State especially in the Fall…..good luck

Last edited:
Hunted back in the '90s near the Allagash river. In five days of hunting only saw one bear and thought what the hell am I going to do with it. Let it chow down on the bait. Funny no one has mentioned the bugs. Where we hunted, they were of biblical plague proportions, no see ums, black flies and mosquitoes. Had to tape the shirt sleeves, pant legs and wear a head net. No food or bug spray allowed in the blinds or tree stands. For me, it was one and done. YMMV.
Forgot to mention, when the guides took us out to the blinds/stands, there were other "hunters" in the vehicle that must have thought they were going in to town to hoist a few. They were loaded up with after shave lotion. I had to do a lot of tongue biting on that trip.

Last edited:

Thanx-
Bill
Bears in amine are small . Average 125 pounds . They are raised on bait and most shot will be 2 . I’m heading up next week. Went once before but didn’t see any. Hope to have better luck this time

Bear hunting in Maine over bait is a very relaxing and enjoyable exercise. If you do your part, you'll see plenty of bears and other game. The commercial guide services have had the baits in place for a while and every critter in the forest knows where to find them. In contrast, I have a bait station behind my camp in Rockwood that my friend maintains and hunts over. The first few years were spotty but now the bait is visited routinely by everything except big bears.
A few random thoughts...

Spring bear will be a cloud of insects around your head, fall hunts will be fine

When a big bear comes to the bait, don't rush the shot. Bears will usually settle in to the bait, giving you time to judge it's size.

It's important to study pictures and videos of black bears prior to the hunt to judge size. Lots of ink has been spent on this so I'll only say that after the shot connects, the hair will lay down and you can watch the shrinkage in real time.

The stands are most often very close to the bait, bring a book, seat cushion, whatever you need to sit quietly.

Black bears can be taken with archery and muzzle loaders without drama. Any whitetail deer cartridge is more than capable.

If you like to read, and are looking for something to do in the off times on your bear hunt, try to find the book :A forgotten legacy" by Randall Probert.
He is a retired Maine game warden and has written a few books about the area. A forgotten legacy actually has a bunch of stories based on the folks you will see and the area there.

250 lb last year. A lot of good bears in Maine.
MG_0944.jpg

@Sheldor - looks like a nice head on that bear - was that shot in August - opening week?

I’m sorry to say but it might be a disappointing experience unless you get real lucky.
You might see a few bears but they all will be small.
Hopefully food and accommodation will make up for it.
Please report when you come back.

I am currently on my way for my 12th Canadian bear hunt. Some areas near the canal border have a "good" population of 150-200lb bear. The past two years, I've been in north central Manitoba. Bear avg over 200lb, last year, mine was 301lb.
This year I'm heading almost to Nunavut. Seems to have some great fishing and bear numbers. We shall see!
The further you get from the US border, the best seem to be larger

I am currently on my way for my 12th Canadian bear hunt. Some areas near the canal border have a "good" population of 150-200lb bear. The past two years, I've been in north central Manitoba. Bear avg over 200lb, last year, mine was 301lb.
This year I'm heading almost to Nunavut. Seems to have some great fishing and bear numbers. We shall see!
The further you get from the US border, the best seem to be larger
Good luck. Who’s the outfitter?

I’m sorry to say but it might be a disappointing experience unless you get real lucky.
You might see a few bears but they all will be small.
Hopefully food and accommodation will make up for it.
Please report when you come back.
@Doubleplay - did you have negative results on your bear Hunts in Maine? I know luck plays a big part in bear “size” and because of that I know many hunters that were disappointed ….but only 1-2 that failed to at least “see” a bear.
I’ve been on 6 Maine bear hunts (2/Hounds & 4 Bait) and hounds by far were the highest success rate — although bears were small and never treed/bayed one even near 200 lbs. For Me - I never got one over 200 lbs on a guided hunt but also Always saw bear, passed up several as they were under 150lbs. I think most Outfitters will show you bears over bait in August to mid September - that is usually prime season because they feed heavily then and none have entered hibernation yet. By the end of September it seems to become less consistent and regardless - as you point out - one over 150-200 pounds is a rarity and my guess would be less then one in five “scales” over 175lbs….but they are there and those are the photos every Guide puts in his brochure and website. As for the Food/accommodations - I never cared?? When a hunter tell me about the “great food” in Camp I assume he either eats poorly at home or there were No good bear around to talk about.
I think the OP has a great chance of seeing Bear and better than 50% at shooting a legal bear, as for “How Big”? That’s where the Luck factors in….

There were some monster black bears in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. I hear there are big ones in Georgia as well. Don't know why there wouldn't be some big ones in Maine.

There were some monster black bears in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. I hear there are big ones in Georgia as well. Don't know why there wouldn't be some big ones in Maine.
@colorado - I agree there are occasional “monster” large Black bears in Adirondacks but NY does Not allow hunting with Bait and No Hounds can be used - success rates are very low and bears live longer and get to “grow older”. Most Guides in Maine make the $$ Money guiding Bear hunts….it is a very important industry and a Maine source of income for guides - likely brings in more revenue to Guides then deer/moose/& small game combined. Bears can be found in Maine (or any State they are native to) but the averages recorded each year by Maine Guides and Fish & Wildlife consistently report the average bear killed in Maine is 135 lbs. Also, very few Maine bear will make the B&C record books. I’ve read (not an expert) that because Maine is a colder climate the Bear hibernate weeks to months longer then in States like North Carolina or even PA and NJ - less time feeding & growing and more time in hibernation. That fact was also cited as a reason for Sows giving birth to more cubs in PA - averaging 3+ vs 2+ in Maine. I’m not a biologist, just a random hunter with some limited experience. From data I’ve read, North Carolina is producing the heaviest bears by far in the U.S and hunting near agricultural areas with hounds is producing real giants - actually look “too Fat”. Maine bear hunting is an industry in the North Woods and baiting is effective - most hunters shoot the first bear that shows up and most bears killed are 3 years old or younger. I think it’s a great State to hunt, nice people, real hunting traditions, and a very high bear population —- just a low percentage of Big 300lb+ bears.

I'll be up there hunting the week before you, with a different outfit. I've been multiple times, Maine is one of my favorite places to spend time. Maine & Minnesota this fall for bears, then back to Manitoba in the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerryVow

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]