AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
So I will be in Maine hunting bear for the first time ever from September 15-21. I will be with an outfitter called Matagamon Wilderness. It seems like their success rate is pretty good, but the bears look a little small. Anybody ever hunt there before, or anywhere else in The Maine North Woods, and have any advice for me?

Thanx-
Bill

I don't have any advice, but I am following along with interest!

If you want big black bears go to Southeast Alaska.NewFoundland looks to have some big ones as well. Mild winters and salmon runs are key!

Bear in Maine are small. I'm 5'6" 200#. Stuffed Bear not cub in corner of lodge Maine Northwoods moose lodge looked like my little grade school brother. My moose outfitter offered Bear hunting at $800/day after moose hunt. Ran his dogs so you better be in great shape. Saw bear bait can setup in woods. Hitchin post in wide open to rest your gun on. No cover to hide hunters. Better food and portion at a soup kitchen. Hot dogs,burgers,chili, spaghetti. Expired snacks. Last nite steak was thinner than carne asada. Website said all you can eat-crockpot to feed 6 hunters and guides. Their kids were entitled.We hunted in zone 1 on the Canadian border. Outfitter and wife had new $$$ trucks every year. Our cabin looked like a shed from the 60's. Two inch thick mattress on bunk bed had rodent holes. Hope you have a better experience. Took me 23 yrs to pull a moose tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PriscillaL

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa