Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,NRA
Hunted
namibia,zambia, Zimbabwe,Botswana, South Africa
Do you need to take the batteries out of your scopes while checking in with rifle on international trips?
If so do they go in checked bag or carry on? First time traveling with red dot scopes
Thanks

No. Spare lithium batteries must be in carry on. Those in devices are OK in checked baggage.

Good question.

I never concerned myself with spare batteries as all of the spares batteries I take are in my camera case. Items that require batteries have new/relatively new batteries inside them and in backwards, if possible, so the item doesn't get turned on by accident.

No lithium batteries can be in checked bags, easiest way to avoid problems is remove all batteries and have them in your carry on.

Thanks
Guess I’ll take them out and put in carry on

Batteries in scopes have never been a problem on any my trips. I do carry spares but even they are in checked bags or gun case. They have been seen but nothing said. Delta told me at check in it was concerned about the 123 flashlight batteries and larger. Not the little scope batteries.

There is a bit of confusion on what a lithium battery is as it relates to travel regulations. I have inquired about this for clarification years ago. The regulations for air travel on lithium batteries refer to batteries such as laptop or camera batteries that can heat up and cause a fire. Even though many of us travel with Energizer Lithium brand batteries those AA and AAA and the like are not what is regulated. A battery such as this poses no risk of fire.
A friend of mine, who likes to take way too many batteries, insisted on taking all of his batteries in his carry on. They were confiscated in Namibia. The guy said “no batteries on the plane”. Which of course is not true but TIA.

Good question.

I never concerned myself with spare batteries as all of the spares batteries I take are in my camera case. Items that require batteries have new/relatively new batteries inside them and in backwards, if possible, so the item doesn't get turned on by accident.
@Ridge Runner - batteries in “backwards” is a great idea…..to prevent them getting turned on/run down accidentally ! I wouldn’t have thought of that (although I hope I’d remember to put them in correctly when needed !!)

@Ridge Runner - batteries in “backwards” is a great idea…..to prevent them getting turned on/run down accidentally ! I wouldn’t have thought of that (although I hope I’d remember to put them in correctly when needed !!)

It does taking getting use to.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When I store my guns I invert the battery on my illumination equipped scopes and sometimes forget to revert them to the proper way.

Once you turn the scope illumination on you will remember as you go to change the battery.

you can think of scope batteries this way, Apple Air Tags use the same button battery as most scopes and we put air tags in our checked bags, so why would a scope be any different

The odds of anybody checking the rifle and even realizing there is a battery in the scope are like next to zero.

I run Leupold scopes with the Firedot reticle in both my .416 Buffalo gun and my .300 Wby plains game rifle and they have the little CR2032 battery that looks like a silver coin. I don't bother taking them out and on 4 trips with those rifles nobody had a clue.

Ignorance is bliss. Don't overthink it.

you can think of scope batteries this way, Apple Air Tags use the same button battery as most scopes and we put air tags in our checked bags, so why would a scope be any different
Thank you

#DontOverThinkIt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QSZAlanna0

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com