Barnes "X" bullets?

Could be. I’m not sure the TSX is 100% lathe turned. They have the appearance of being at least partially swaged and tumbled. Could be a proprietary process?… but I don’t know.

This is Barnes promotional video showing some of the manufacturing and testing of the X bullets. You can see the bands or grooves cut into the bullets at about the 20 second mark.

Last edited:
If I could find the bullets, I would buy them. Component availability is not what it was six years ago.

Not asking Barnes to swap. If they are set up to swage the rings in TSX bullets, perhaps they can just run these through the dies. Guess I could ask.
Midway has .423” 400 grain TSX in stock:

In Canada, Prophet River has them in stock:

Swapping dies on the machines they use is a major effort and not a realistic request for a small run.

Jump to the 8:00 minute mark:

Attachments

Last edited:
Back to your first post.

I shot factor X bullets out of my .340 Weatherby mag and developed a load using them when I started to load with them.

I switched over to the TTSX bullets with the same grain weight, and used the exact same load for the TTSX as I did for the X bullets with no extra pressure signs or problems. The new TTSX shot just as good as the X bullets did with the same load.

As for sending them to Barnes, how much do you want to spend? You would be just as well off finding someone with a lathe and having them cut a ring into them. I highly doubt that Barnes would even think about doing this for you even at a high cost to you.

I'd either shoot them as they are or try to find another bullet for your loads.

Best thing to do with them is find someone who says they really liked the original X bullet and sell to them at discount.

Back to your first post.

I shot factor X bullets out of my .340 Weatherby mag and developed a load using them when I started to load with them.

I switched over to the TTSX bullets with the same grain weight, and used the exact same load for the TTSX as I did for the X bullets with no extra pressure signs or problems. The new TTSX shot just as good as the X bullets did with the same load.

As for sending them to Barnes, how much do you want to spend? You would be just as well off finding someone with a lathe and having them cut a ring into them. I highly doubt that Barnes would even think about doing this for you even at a high cost to you.

I'd either shoot them as they are or try to find another bullet for your loads.
I'd like to talk to them about these bullets anyway. I'm sure they will have suggestions.

Midway has .423” 400 grain TSX in stock:

In Canada, Prophet River has them in stock:

Swapping dies on the machines they use is a major effort and not a realistic request for a small run.

Jump to the 8:00 minute mark:

Potterfield won't sell anything to me because I'm Canadian, even though I have a US bank account, US credit card, and US address. Screw Midway. I will see what Prophet River has on the shelf. Thanks. Must be a new shipment. Not in a big hurry as magnum primers are the bigger problem now.

If I could find the bullets, I would buy them. Component availability is not what it was six years ago.

Not asking Barnes to swap. If they are set up to swage the rings in TSX bullets, perhaps they can just run these through the dies. Guess I could ask.
Natchez Shooters Supply has them. I think this is what you are looking for.

I have experience with the original Barns X bullet in the .375 H&H both the 270gr & the 300gr. Accuracy was good, penetration fantastic, load data the same as Hornaday 270 & 300gr bullets. I tested them in rolled up rubber matting, they penetrated 9” in rolled up rubber, & shed all their petals, recovered bullet looked like a solid. Shot an elk at 200yds trotting away quartering away with the 270gr X. Bullet entered just behind the last rib & exited just behind the off shoulder. The elk went 30 yds & piled up in the timber. The exit hole was 1-1/2”.
They did copper plate the bore heavily, & that is why I quit using them, but they did perform very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHPKenneth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles