Backup Handgun

Neophyte

AH senior member
Reaction score
Having been in Alaska I’m in the habit of carrying a handgun when I’m hunting for last ditch self defense from bears.

Having said this I’m wondering if I can bring a handgun to South Africa for the same purpose? I usually carry my Glock 20 with a red dot optic and an aftermarket 6 1/2” barrel loaded with hardcast lead bullets but I could also bring a 4” or 6” .41 Magnum.

I’ve legally carried a handgun for over forty years so it’s not something new to me.

special hunting permit needed to bring it to RSA. Not sure how tuff but there are certain requirements. Look up on the SAPS website...I think that is where I read the info. Its listed on the permit info I believe.

Not an expert at all, but the Glock I’m confident would be a problem. Revolver should just be paperwork. Every “handgun hunter” I’ve seen pics of has a Thompson center long barrel so I’m curious to see results of this

Either way you decide, take a look at the Kenai Chest Holster as a carry option.
1724426843168.png

I do not know the answer, but I believe a few years ago that Ted Nugent hunted with his Glock 20 on a hunting show, could be a special exemption, just don’t know for sure, good luck

I'm sure riflepermits.com can give you the exact requirements, but being a Glock 10MM fan myself, was talking with a PH in camp about this last month, and he said if it had any kind of optic, it was no big deal to get them into RSA.

As far as I know you need an invitation for a shooting match from a club to bring semi automatic handguns to RSA.
It can be arranged...

The PH's I've seen in SA all carry some manner of semi-auto pistol as a last ditch backup to their rifle.

That said, your best protection from harm is a well placed first shot with your rifle. You backup IS your rifle and when it goes really sideways it becomes a job for the PH. If that does happen, please listen to them because they are responsible for the safety of the entire hunting party. Your trophy may take a back seat until everyone is safe.

As far as an unprovoked attack...I won't say it can't happen, but the trackers who will be with you are on another level. They can hear a mouse fart three miles away and track it across a field of rock with little more than their wits and the gifts God gave them. Leave the pistol at home and practice more off sticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrianR23

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!