Backpacks

My preference for packing weight is an external frame. I use either a Kelty or a freighter. The problem with them is that the metal to metal contact tends to squeak and more importantly, carrying a rifle by the sling will result in scratches. I have a few internal frame packs which can carry a decent amount of weight, but no where near the 90+ pounds of the frames; So what I do is carry the internal frame pack while hunting, leave the external in camp. Then if I get something I carry the head/antlers back to camp (unless it's really big) with the internal, then use the external frame while I'm identifying as pack mule.

Resurrecting this thread as i am looking for advice on a backpack. I am going on a blacktail hunt this fall that will be a boat based drop off on shore and hike and hunt all day. I have a run of the mill pack that can probably be used as a daypack to carry food and clothing, but it has no frame. I also will need to pack out any game back to shore. I would expect up to 5-10 mile days per day. Should i get an internal frame with some meat packing ability or get an external for use primarily for meat hauling? Any brand/ model recommendations appreciated!
Kufaru
Stone Glacier
EXO
Mystery Ranch
Kuiu

Big fan of Kuiu. We have multiples now in my hunting party and they work well.
+1 with @Ray B a frame pack stays in camp (truck) and gets picked up on first load back. The metal is loud, the rifle bangs against it, etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.45 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.48 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.50 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.57.52 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 151
Reactions: WAB
I will throw one more name out that I use, arcteryx ( LEAF Gear). Their packs are not really designed for hunting but military . I've been subjecting them to abuse for decades and yet to have one fail. Two minuses are cost and weight, they are a bit heavy due to the quality of material used and expensive.

Pat

I use an Eberlestock X1for my pronghorn hunts. I can skin and quarter an antelope and pack it all out in one trip. If I bone the antelope out I can still get most of the meat in a single trip. I have had my X1 for about 10 years I think so there is a newer version.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/hunting-packs

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.29 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.31 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.33 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.58.34 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
Resurrecting this thread as i am looking for advice on a backpack. I am going on a blacktail hunt this fall that will be a boat based drop off on shore and hike and hunt all day. I have a run of the mill pack that can probably be used as a daypack to carry food and clothing, but it has no frame. I also will need to pack out any game back to shore. I would expect up to 5-10 mile days per day. Should i get an internal frame with some meat packing ability or get an external for use primarily for meat hauling? Any brand/ model recommendations appreciated!
Badlands 2200 while hunting. A good freighter frame for the return trips.
I've carried over 120# on my Badlands. Great waist belt and shoulder straps. The meat shelf is very well made and keeps the mess out of the bag itself. Even loaded, access to the main bag is still good. Internal frame is narrow, so the pack carries easily through thick timber. Very quiet material. Been abusing mine for about a decade and still going strong. IF you ever had an issue with a Badlands pack, they have a lifetime warranty that they stand by very well.
My freighter is a Cabela's Alaskan that has been used and abused for over 20 years. I did have to replace the nylon of the shelf after a few years, but the frame, belt and shoulder straps are solid and comfortable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.25.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.25.14 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.25.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.25.16 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.25.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.25.19 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
My elk guides in Montana used Badlands for several years. I bought a 2200 model that has an internal frame, which allows use while riding a horse. Great pack, but a little bigger than one needs for a day pack. A Badlands "Super Day" is probably ideal. The guides have all switched to Mystery Ranch "Crew Cab" packs, which I think are made in Bozeman.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.26.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.26.04 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.26.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.26.07 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
I have the EXO pack , hauled out two Elk a couple of years ago. Great design and can haul meat without going back to truck to get pack frame. Nice packs!

Lee M I have a used Eberlestock Just 1 with the rifle scabbard. It is the Western Slope camo. It was only used to carry weight getting in shape. It has never been used hunting or carrying any game. It's probably 5 - 7 years old in like new condition. If interested, PM me.

tempImageJHT4Sh.png

Last edited:
Several of the postings here have me confused: :E Shrug:

Packing out elk or other game in backpacks???? I thought that was what pack mules are for.

Several of the postings here have me confused: :E Shrug:

Packing out elk or other game in backpacks???? I thought that was what pack mules are for.

When you pack in, you are by definition the pack mule! . In my younger days I could take a caribou out in one trip. An elk was two trips for two guys. Now a deer is about my limit.

I've actually packed out, on my back, half an elk. It was a smallish satellite bull that a buddy arrowed in archery season one year. Packed the hind quarter first and then came back for the front quarter. It was only about 300 yards, but all uphill to a road where we could get a truck.

When I hunted red deer in NZ, my guide told me about life as a commercial hunter back in the day. They'd field dress the red deer and would carry it whole on their back, wrapping the hind legs around like a belt and the fore legs like shoulder straps. Pack one out, go wash off the blood in the cold stream and head back up for another. Real men!

I've actually packed out, on my back, half an elk. It was a smallish satellite bull that a buddy arrowed in archery season one year. Packed the hind quarter first and then came back for the front quarter. It was only about 300 yards, but all uphill to a road where we could get a truck.

When I hunted red deer in NZ, my guide told me about life as a commercial hunter back in the day. They'd field dress the red deer and would carry it whole on their back, wrapping the hind legs around like a belt and the fore legs like shoulder straps. Pack one out, go wash off the blood in the cold stream and head back up for another. Real men!
I actually saw twin women from New Zealand pack an impala on Naked and Afraid back to their camp that way.

:E Lol::E Lol:.....thanks, I needed that.

Reactions: WAB
My worst pack was 6 miles with a boned out caribou and antlers to the haul road. Pack was so heavy I couldn’t set it down for a rest as there was no way for me to get it back up again.

My worst pack was 6 miles with a boned out caribou and antlers to the haul road. Pack was so heavy I couldn’t set it down for a rest as there was no way for me to get it back up again.

A full body cape of a bighorn sheep, both back straps, loins and heart at 12980'. Not quite 2 miles to 13500' where the truck could take over. Leaning against one rock while charting the course to the next rock to lean on. It was a test of willpower and stamina for sure. Also a good testament to that Badlands pack.
I also learned that sheep horns are quite heavy, and very hard. After one of my breaks, as I leaned forward to stand, the sheep's head shifted and bashed me in the back of my head. It almost put me down. Took a longer break to strap that thing down better.
Never could have carried that load with just a typical day pack with no frame.

Lee M I have a used Eberlestock Just 1 with the rifle scabbard. It is the Western Slope camo. It was only used to carry weight getting in shape. It has never been used hunting or carrying any game. It's probably 5 - 7 years old in like new condition. If interested, PM me.

View attachment 393892

I have a similar Eberlestock backpack in Australia, a bit bigger, I think mine is the next size up. Anyway, the camo on these works! I know because I’ve lost mine and spent considerable amount of time looking for it.

I’m out hunting. This is on a sheep farm in NSW just west of Blue Mountains. Fairly dry land, undulating terrain, some shrubs and boulders of all sizes. I spotted some rabbits about 100m away. Got a bit closer, put my backpack down, loaded my (now stupidly sold) beautiful Weatherby Mark XX 17HMR rifle, rested in on the backpack and killed several rabbits. Left the pack on the ground, picked the rabbits up and... couldn’t find the backpack. My water, car keys, cloths, permits etc. all in the backpack that is now gone, perfectly camouflaged... Funny at first, less funny 20 minutes later... Found it eventually, very thirsty by then...

My father has a 6.5x55 with a camo stock and scope he had made to hunt Africa, we don't dare set it down in the bush, we'll never find it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WildaDambr

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!