Backpack sling?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
Anyone know of a good quality backpack sling? I found a few but they look cheap and I don't trust them to carry my double rifle.

Thank you
-Matt

Reactions: FLC
Have a leather shop make a nice one for you

I have a heavy duty sling from Slogan Outdoors, it’s made of a heavy duty rubber and can be used as a traditional over the shoulder sling or a backpack with no adjustment at all but I would hesitate to ugly up a fine double rifle with it. I have mine on a Ruger Alaskan .375 Ruger that is pretty ugly to begin with but it’s my everyday rifle.

Anyone know of a good quality backpack sling? I found a few but they look cheap and I don't trust them to carry my double rifle.

Thank you
-Matt

I have a Vero Venelli that works well.

Thats all I use for all my rifles, nice quality QD hardware and stitching. They are neoprene and leather and have just enough give, but dont bounce.

This one I used in New Zealand for 10 days and looks new. My days of thinking of a mountain hunt are over and if you want to give this a spin, I’ll drop it in the mail. If you keep it send me $40( about 1/2 price). If you dont like it, mail it back.

Zhsq79J.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Vero Venelli that works well.

Thats all I use for all my rifles, nice quality QD hardware and stitching. They are neoprene and leather and have just enough give, but dont bounce.

This one I used in New Zealand for 10 days and looks new. My days of thinking of a mountain hunt are over and if you want to give this a spin, I’ll drop it in the mail. If you keep it send me $40( about 1/2 price). If you dont like it, mail it back.

View attachment 572243

Sounds good, PM sent.

Niggeloh in Germany makes an excellent biathlon sling

I looked at these but didn't see them in stock anywhere (didn't look too hard)
Have a leather shop make a nice one for you

This was plan B. :)

-Matt

Using a sling while wearing a backpack in single digit F temps or lower can really be a challenge. I've used a nylon Super Sling brand with a soft padded leather shoulder pad for carrying over the shoulder with a backpack for years. It stays flexible in cold weather and only slips a little when wearing it. It's perfect on those brutally cold days when hunting in Africa. LOL

Using a sling while wearing a backpack in single digit F temps or lower can really be a challenge. I've used a nylon Super Sling brand with a soft padded leather shoulder pad for carrying over the shoulder with a backpack for years. It stays flexible in cold weather and only slips a little when wearing it. It's perfect on those brutally cold days when hunting in Africa. LOL

LOL on that last sentence.

When I describe the weather that I've endured in Africa; high steady winds in excess of 50 miles per hour with gust 60 mph, rain, heat, heavy frost and cold morning temps, and snow all of this weather was in one week in RSA.

Seems some people have this belief because Africa is below the equator and all the movies and documentaries only show Africa during Africa's late spring, summer, and early fall months with honorable mention of the raining season and/or of Africa's dessert areas, that it doesn't get cold in Africa.

Last edited:
LOL on that last sentence.

When I describe the weather that I've endured in Africa; high steady winds in excess of 50 miles per hour with gust 60 mph, rain, heat, heavy frost and cold morning temps, and snow all of this weather was in one week in RSA.

Seems some people have this belief because Africa is below the equator and all the movies and documentaries only show Africa during Africa's late spring, summer, and early fall months with honorable mention of the raining season and/or of Africa's dessert areas, that it doesn't get cold in Africa.
Agree, some of the coldest days I’ve spent in the field were in the kalahari in June of 2021! High wind’s temperature in the mid 20’s . Of course some of the hottest days were in the Zambezi delta of Mozambique and the most pleasant days were in the eastern cape.

I use a Vorn hunting backpack that I bought in England last year. It has a system that allows the rifle to be safely held in the pack and a quick release lever to remove it. It is really a genius idea and allows the rifle to be transported safely. The quick release is about as fast as taking a rifle off your shoulder.

For a hot weather hunt, I think it would still work well, but I haven’t carried a backpack in africa in any of my 3 hunts.

Attachments

For hands free backpack style hunting the Slik Sling.

If you want an excellent all around sling, the A-1 Sling from Murray Leather is a great choice. I also like the Butler Creek Featherlight Minimalist Sling. I’ve been using that on an Ultralite Carbon Barreled rifle and liked it.

I use a Vorn hunting backpack that I bought in England last year. It has a system that allows the rifle to be safely held in the pack and a quick release lever to remove it. It is really a genius idea and allows the rifle to be transported safely. The quick release is about as fast as taking a rifle off your shoulder.

For a hot weather hunt, I think it would still work well, but I haven’t carried a backpack in africa in any of my 3 hunts.

Vorn is absolutely the way to go. I wonder if they have an interest in a US distributor?

They do make three sizes. The smallest would be ideal if you're traveling light.

Those packs look really innovative for carrying one’s rifle.

This looks sweet. I don't have a problem with my sling when I'm going in light. But i was coming out with a load of elk meat last Sunday and had my rifle slip off my shoulder and bounce off the bushes. I was exhausted and didn't even know it was slipping.

This is what I was thinking, but the more I read it seemed like I was mistaken. I believe the OP wants a sling that is worn like a backpack, not a sling to be used in conjunction with one.

@matt85 - I've owned and used a Vero Vellini sling. After a single day, it ended up on a shelf for several years. I found it noisy, awkward to use and overly complicated for something that should be so simple.

If you weren't getting it for a good price... I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it when putting it into action.

Personally we much prefer our leather slings from Dick Murray or the canvas strap with silicone on the inside from Trader Keith. I would trust either of these slings to carry the most beautiful of double rifles.

1701516234103.png

https://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

1701516106429.png

This is what I was thinking, but the more I read it seemed like I was mistaken. I believe the OP wants a sling that is worn like a backpack, not a sling to be used in conjunction with one.

@matt85 - I've owned and used a Vero Vellini sling. After a single day, it ended up on a shelf for several years. I found it noisy, awkward to use and overly complicated for something that should be so simple.

If you weren't getting it for a good price... I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it when putting it into action.

Personally we much prefer our leather slings from Dick Murray or the canvas strap with silicone on the inside from Trader Keith. I would trust either of these slings to carry the most beautiful of double rifles.

View attachment 572311

https://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

View attachment 572310
Yeah...well...I love mine. Both of them. Even the one you sold me. :E Rofl:

Yeah...well...I love mine. Both of them. Even the one you sold me. :E Rofl:
LOL. I was trying to remember who I shipped that off to. Glad you are enjoying it.

I agree that's what he asked for, but I think this system is a better fit. With the smallest pack (I have the medium), you always carry some gear with you (at least water, right?) and this system enables that. Additionally, you can keep your regular sling on the rifle (insert footnote on the benefits of looping up, when possible) and then use appropriately. When you want two hands free, it goes back in the pack.

I was skeptical when I first saw it... but hey, if it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid. And this works.

I’ve never used a backpack with a gun sleeve in it, how easy is it to get your rifle out of it in a pinch? If it takes more than a couple of seconds it doesn’t seem wise to carry that way in dangerous game country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alissa34R

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia