Back country carry gun

Just read the story of the two young men in Idaho that shot a grizzly 24 times with a 10mm and .45 ACP. Might want to get the Linebaugh back out.

Happened fairly close to the area one of the guys I’m hunting with next month lives…

Glad we’ll be a hunting party of 3… all carrying 300 magnums…

Pointless. But I've only wanted a 475 for 28yrs now ..

1725933678852.png

@Tam Dl - what a GREAT video, was only going to watch a few minutes but ended up watching the entire hour. The Alaskan Guide they interviewed was very experienced, and had a low key/matter-of-fact approach to relaying his personal experiance….one of the few people that actually had to shoot a griz in self defense (and faces Bear charges every year) - so he has real credibility vs gun writers and other Blow-hards. I also liked his advice on firearms and how caliber was relatively unimportant compared to accuracy and bullet “placement” PLUS bullet construction. His advocation for using a gun you are comfortable with (rifle or handgun) made sense and he’s guided clients (successfully) for griz with .270 and .30-06 as well as used 9mm, .357 for Bear defense — made sense….and since he’ has actual experience vs. just an “opinion” was a welcome change. His focus was on being able to shoot your gun proficiently and accurately - Not a Magnum mentality. The Guide seemed like The-Real-Deal and lives a life many of us admire and even envy….thanks for posting this video !
He uses the 458 win mag, not sure what the load is. I know they sometimes use these mag cartridges and detunes them a little. Here is some info on his daughter's rifle:

Last edited:
Just read the story of the two young men in Idaho that shot a grizzly 24 times with a 10mm and .45 ACP. Might want to get the Linebaugh back out.
Depends on shot placement. Back in the 45ACP days there were always articles about perps taking 20 bullets from a 9mm and dying of pneumonia 30 days later.

One thing I notice about the African vibe is it seems to be the thing that you carry a rifle and have it in the hand at all times. Or is that just the movies? It's cool we have hand cannons, and it is cool we have some super holsters for them. But should they still be generally seen as being there to fight your way to your rifle? And if so maybe it is better to have a rifle in the first place. Then something on a two point sling with a hurty lot of power to it, like a medium barrel, stainless, in 50AK starts to seem appealing. Or maybe simpler is the 45-90. At least they make those, and they probably aren't too hard to ream a 45-70 to. About the same capacity as 458 win. That would be in the order of a guarding gun versus, a hunting or backup gun. For those situations where the bear Todd Orrs you.

I was mesmerized by the first Ross Seyfried article.
I really like the Freedom Arms 4-3/4".
I too own a .475 Linebaugh because of Ross Seyfried. I wanted a Freedom Arms, or better still a Linebaugh custom, but ended up cajoling a geezer out of a BFR for a price I could afford at a gun show. It's a FAR nicer pistol than my Rugers. I had the barrel shortened to a packable length by Wild West Guns in Anchorage by bumping into their main gunsmith and interesting him in it. Cost me so little I wan't say. When I came to pick it up, Jim was there. I made a joke about getting it shortened so it would fit in my .44 holster {cylinder is a bit longer) He started to tell me how to stretch the thumb-break strap. I said, "meh, I'll just make a holster that fits it." "YOU made that holster?" he said.
Anyways, good times. Last time I was in there, everything had deteriorated.

That age restricted video is Todd Orr taking us through his assault. Nothing inappropriate other than what happens when a bear double taps you. Amazing story, my main take-away was that the bear came at him like a freight train on two occasions and he didn't have enough time, given his reasonable programing to defend himself on either attack.

I’ve never been attacked by a bear. I’ve been intimidated and bluffed in AK and when game calling in the western US mountains. And killed some.

I now only occasionally carry a pistol for humans while hunting the US.
Last time hunting AK I didn’t even take a pistol. We only got 50 pounds each for the plane that dropped us.

One of us always had a rifle backing the other bow hunting. No guide

Bears are no different than any other animal. Except being relatively easy to kill.

I would place bullet design and placement over displacement and size.

BUT!! What fun is that. We all need an excuse to own magnums. :cool:

@freefall - nothing compensates for bad shooting, but the fact that they lived to “Tell the Tale” = EFFECTIVE use of those handguns. There are also documented cases of bear attacks deterred by .380 and even .22LR - I wish I knew how to post a “study” I’ve read several times, documents around 50 Bear attacks & what handgun was used to defend and what the “results” were. It was well written and really an eye opener. The key element was that Handguns used to defend against a Bear attack - don’t need to kill the bear, just DETER it. Much different then whats appropriate for handgun Hunting.

Speaking from personal experience.

Handguns against humans, as a general rule, suck. I can only imagine how much more they suck against bears who are much tougher than people. Against people, at general handgun distance, I’ll take a shotgun every time. The reason one packs a handgun, be it for people or bears, is portability.

The Karens of this world tend to get upset when they see people walking around the supermarket, gas station, or mall with an appropriate longarm. It’s too bad really because I think society would be better off if people did walk around so openly armed.

The problem with counting on a rifle or a shotgun is the time it's 30 feet away when you need it. i know that from experience.
I'm sure I have told my story of the Mysterious Vanishing 12 ga.

Speaking from personal experience.

Handguns against humans, as a general rule, suck. I can only imagine how much more they suck against bears who are much tougher than people. Against people, at general handgun distance, I’ll take a shotgun every time. The reason one packs a handgun, be it for people or bears, is portability.

The Karens of this world tend to get upset when they see people walking around the supermarket, gas station, or mall with an appropriate longarm. It’s too bad really because I think society would be better off if people did walk around so openly armed.
@Neophyte - I have NO personal experience using any firearm for defense, Not against Bears or anything else and would be interested in yours? There are more documented cases of Handguns being used for personal defense against humans then there are against Bears - 1000s of well documented incidents every year, Police, private citizens etc…. So they are clearly effective and if a rifle or shotgun was the best choice then Police would be carrying them at all times and in all places vs the special & limited situations they are used by Law Enforcement. That’s my Zero experience opinion and interested in your opinion and personal experience as well.

@Neophyte - I have NO personal experience using any firearm for defense, Not against Bears or anything else and would be interested in yours? There are more documented cases of Handguns being used for personal defense against humans then there are against Bears - 1000s of well documented incidents every year, Police, private citizens etc…. So they are clearly effective and if a rifle or shotgun was the best choice then Police would be carrying them at all times and in all places vs the special & limited situations they are used by Law Enforcement. That’s my Zero experience opinion and interested in your opinion and personal experience as well.
I will limit how much I share but having used a revolver, auto loading handgun, and a shotgun I will say that I’ll take a shotgun over a handgun any day of the week.

You are seeing more law enforcement carrying AR style rifles these days. Especially if they think they’re going to get into a firefight. If handguns were so great that wouldn’t be the case.

The reason we carry handguns is not because they are so great at their intended purpose but because they are easier to carry. If given the option I’ll take a longarm every time. Sadly the general public is not accustomed to seeing people walking around with rifles anymore unless they’re law enforcement in uniform.

I will limit how much I share but having used a revolver, auto loading handgun, and a shotgun I will say that I’ll take a shotgun over a handgun any day of the week.

You are seeing more law enforcement carrying AR style rifles these days. Especially if they think they’re going to get into a firefight. If handguns were so great that wouldn’t be the case.

The reason we carry handguns is not because they are so great at their intended purpose but because they are easier to carry. If given the option I’ll take a longarm every time. Sadly the general public is not accustomed to seeing people walking around with rifles anymore unless they’re law enforcement in uniform.
@Neophyte - agree and makes sense if going into a shooting/fire fight situation then Long guns are the choice. Most Police officers will never fire their gun in their entire career - even in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago etc.. so carrying a handgun 8 hours a day, 5 days a week makes sense, also as I’m sure you know, the majority of Police shootings involve use of their handguns at extremely close range. The Police that I worked with, and sometimes were employed by me off duty or after they retired (I was Never a member of Law Enforcement) all had very good judgement and a calm demeanor, told many stories about what they encountered on the job - great respect for them. Most, not all, rarely ever practiced with their firearms except as required to qualify and some admitted they were “horrible shots”. I was surprised by this and my sample size may not be accurate of Police at large - but for Me if your life might depend on being familiar with your handgun - I assumed you’d practice with it often. Either way, it’s a difficult job and not respected or supported enough by the general public.

Having worked as a fed I think law enforcement is supported too much by the general public because they are unaware of what goes on behind closed doors.

My brother did thirty years, big midwest city next to a lake named after a state, and never qualified after he got out of the academy. He’d give his free ammo to a cop that liked to shoot and $20 to the range master to adjust his score up or down a few points every year.

He was in a few shooting and not all of them above board. I have very little respect for law enforcement as a whole after everything I’ve seen and experienced. I think the general public is finally starting to wake up and when they rise up it’s going to make 1968 look like child’s play.

Having worked as a fed I think law enforcement is supported too much by the general public because they are unaware of what goes on behind closed doors.

My brother did thirty years, big midwest city next to a lake named after a state, and never qualified after he got out of the academy. He’d give his free ammo to a cop that liked to shoot and $20 to the range master to adjust his score up or down a few points every year.

He was in a few shooting and not all of them above board. I have very little respect for law enforcement as a whole after everything I’ve seen and experienced. I think the general public is finally starting to wake up and when they rise up it’s going to make 1968 look like child’s play.
@Neophyte - i guess we have very different experiences and opinions of Law Enforcement…. Overall, I think the vast majority are very good people and many are Outstanding, trying their best to do a good job under difficult situations and return home safely at the end of their shift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?